PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No wireless after unity upgrade

Uberloser
April 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Good morning all,
After upgrading from 10.10 I now have no wireless activity. Everything was great with 10.10 by the way. I have a dell inspiron 1520 with a Dell wireless 1390 card and broadcom 440x integrated controller.
I have seen other threads that are to complicated for me to follow, I would just love for my wireless to work and can follow basic instructions if anyone can help.

I just spent the last 6 days in Florida on business while the tornadoes ravaged my homeland in Alabama :) and turned alot of people on to Ubuntu. Everyone that walked past my laptop wanted to play with it and asked what it was.

Grateful for any assistance.

dcosiem
April 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Somebody help this fella out! I am also having issues with the wireless connection with the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller or Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard on a Dell Inspiron 1720, Intel duo core 2.4 processor with 2gb or ram. After reformatting several times to try out Ubuntu 11.04 and Kubuntu 11.04, neither of these operation system's wireless Internet service is working. I have been using to standard cable ethernet cable to connect to the internet, but I would like to be untied again. Thank you!

Kubuntu is so cool! The new unity format is too mainstream consumer-ish. THank you again!

:D

Uberloser
May 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
Hey dude, this worked.

"I had the same problems... this is what I did:
- I removed the STA driver from Additional Drivers
- I opened synaptic and installed b43-fwcutter then firmware-b43-installer
- Reboot"

dcosiem
May 2nd, 2011, 05:08 AM
Dear Uberloser,

You ain't an uberloser! Thank you for sharing! Have an awesome life! Even works on Kubuntu!

Hey dude, this worked.

"I had the same problems... this is what I did:
- I removed the STA driver from Additional Drivers
- I opened synaptic and installed b43-fwcutter then firmware-b43-installer
- Reboot"

green_earth
May 2nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
dcosiem & Uberloser:

Help me understand the process (mostly non-technical Ubuntu/Kubuntu user here). Since installing 11.04, I have exactly ZERO drivers available in the additional drivers. On the last two Ubuntu version, that is how I got my wireless to work. What is the "STA driver" you refer to? And, dcosiem, what is the Kubuntu variant of synaptic? I just installed Kubuntu for the first time since I'm not a fan of Unity. Any help is appreciated...