PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] file manager for Files & Folders

shochatd
April 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
There is a Unity launcher item called "Files & Folders". I think I read somewhere that this is a "lens" although I have no idea what a "lens" is supposed to be. The first time I selected one of my "Favorite Folders" from the semi-transparent black thing that comes up when you select this, I was asked to choose a file manager. Choices were Nautilus and Thunar. Out of curiosity, I chose Thunar. How do I switch it to Nautilus? By the way, I still get Nautilus if I double-click a drive icon on the desktop or select "Home Folder" from the Launcher.
Thanks.
-- David

WinRiddance
April 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Well, if you still get Nautilus by selecting the home folder, then why not stick with that? It's a click either way and once nautilus is open you can go wherever you want from there. I don't know exactly how to do that with Unity but maybe you can create a custom launcher for the scrolling unity bar at the left, something with the command ... nautilus ... inside of it. Then you'd have access to Nautilus from there, just like to the other apps that are already there.

shochatd
April 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your reply. First of all, I now realize that I had my terminology wrong. All those similar-looking black semi-transparent things are in fact the Dash. And the file manager selection pertains to the Dash in all its forms. "Files & Folders" is just one "lens", i.e., canned filter to be applied when bring up the Dash. So I should have titled the thread "file manager for folders in the Dash". The point is that since I was initially asked what file manager I wanted to use for this, there is obviously a configuration file somewhere, containing that choice. So my question is, how do I configure that to a different choice, e.g., Nautilus? Hopefully, the next iteration of Unity will have improved configuration tools.
-- David