PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] in unity, how to get classic?

hangle
April 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
i loaded 11.04. everything works. i like some of the unity features. however, i think i can be more productive by using the gnome desktop. i would like to switch to this desktop. i understand that this selection can be made in the logon window. however, when my system boots, it does not ask for authentication. i elected not to have it do so when i initially installed my system. when i switch users, i get the logon window but there is no designation of ubuntu clalssic.

observation: in scanning the forum, i cannot get over the fact that there is so much pain out there concerning unity. i took the precaution of installing 11.04 on my old computer. i got burned once before by installing a new ubuntu version as soon as it was released.

thanks for any help,
hugh angle

Hreinsi
April 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
i loaded 11.04. everything works. i like some of the unity features. however, i think i can be more productive by using the gnome desktop. i would like to switch to this desktop. i understand that this selection can be made in the logon window. however, when my system boots, it does not ask for authentication. i elected not to have it do so when i initially installed my system. when i switch users, i get the logon window but there is no designation of ubuntu clalssic.

observation: in scanning the forum, i cannot get over the fact that there is so much pain out there concerning unity. i took the precaution of installing 11.04 on my old computer. i got burned once before by installing a new ubuntu version as soon as it was released.

thanks for any help,
hugh angle

At bottom befor you log in you can change unity to gnome or what ever

hangle
April 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
i do not have a log in screen when the system boots.

rvchari
April 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
At bottom befor you log in you can change unity to gnome or what ever

i would like to ask one doubt. does this option get invoked when using natty thru usb stick ? i am a happy user of maverick and i wont disturb it till i am confident of natty.. just asking...

KegHead
April 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hi!

system...admin...login...choose ..classic..restart.

KegHead

otherethe
April 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM
i do not have a log in screen when the system boots.
Just logout and you will that or goto the Login Screen on the serach bar just go as your gonna open a app type in Login and you should see it by the time you get lo typed in
it'll be under applications

ottosykora
April 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hi!

KegHead

yes we know, you tell everybody the same all the time, but you should also know by now that this will not work this way in live system like from CD or usb stick.

C.S.Cameron
April 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
i would like to ask one doubt. does this option get invoked when using natty thru usb stick ? i am a happy user of maverick and i wont disturb it till i am confident of natty.. just asking...

What kind of install to USB stick? Full, persistent or grub2 iso?

rvchari
April 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
i created a start up disk from maverick. i booted of the usb and it does not show grub. it just boots straight as usb is detected by bios and goes straight to natty.

i also installed conky and hope i can install wine and test packages that run. using unity 2d is cumbersome so i was asking if there is an option to get a classic desktop.

by the way, is there a way to make grub identify the usb and add natty as an option (as and when i plugin the usb and boot up my lappy?)

road_dog
April 30th, 2011, 08:59 PM
This worked for me - thanks KegHead!

Hi!

KegHead

KegHead
April 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hi!

Another satisfied customer! (road_dog)

KegHead

f2bnp
April 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hi, I don't know how to get to Admin on the new interface, can you be a little more explanatory :)?

Nevermind I found out how :)

t-mark
May 1st, 2011, 12:50 AM
Earlier tonight I was close to reinstall Ubuntu back to 10.10. I find this new environment unnecessary complicated, even annoying. Thanks for this topic, problem is now solved.

Ubuntu classic view should be default. If I was installing this 11.04 as my first Ubuntu, I would probably uninstall it forever.

rvchari
May 1st, 2011, 05:17 AM
i could get the log in screen on my usb live cd. i can choose the DE i wish to at the time of log in.

to get this i first logged on to usb. not being in classic mode, i simply typed out log in in the search box of unity DE. clicked on that and selected user defined and unchecked on the default direct log in.
now i get the log in. being in usb stick and no user account as such, simply type ubuntu as username and keep password as blank. thats the trick. it took me a while to understand this !!!

CluelessLinuxGuy
May 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hi!

KegHead

Thank you!!!

I really do not understand the purpose of Unity?:popcorn:

hangle
May 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
i was able to establish the classic desktop by loging out. i had done this before with the expectation that there would be a button labelled 'classic'. this time i clicked on an unlabelled button and got the following menu:
Recovery Console
Ubuntu
Ubuntu Classic
Ubuntu Classic (No Effect)
Ubuntu (Safe Mode)
User Defined Session

Problem solved. thanks for the help