PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-panel doesn't launch with gnome when booting

jiapei100
April 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi, all:

After a upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04, everything seems to be fine, only except gnome-panel.
Every time when I reboot my system, the desktop shows up fine (that means gnome launched), but there is menu bar at all. Nothing on the screen only except a desktop.

I tried to launch Chrom and found that it's gnome-panel issue. Now, I can launch gnome-panel from bash, but how can I let my gnome-panel automatically be launched with gnome itself during the booting?

Best Regards
Pei

dino99
April 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
unity replace gnome-panel by default now
so if you dont want unity, from synaptic: remove/purge unity & ubuntu-desktop

the other solution is to select "classic" while logging in gdm

jiapei100
May 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
My problem is: unity is not automatically start now as well.
Beside a desktop with some of documentations and hard drives displayed on the background, there is nothing there at all...

I need to try to launch a terminal first, so that I can launch gnome-panel or unity from within a bash command.

Can you please give me a hand?

Cheers
Pei

unity replace gnome-panel by default now
so if you dont want unity, from synaptic: remove/purge unity & ubuntu-desktop

the other solution is to select "classic" while logging in gdm

jiapei100
May 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Happened to notice that I've got exactly the same problem here at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1700843

What can I do? Can I just use unity-2D? Or I've got to shift back to Gnome since my video card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, which seems to be too old to support compaz 3D ??

Rgds
Pei

jiapei100
May 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM
Happened to notice that I've got exactly the same problem here at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1700843

What can I do? Can I just use unity-2D? Or I've got to shift back to Gnome since my video card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, which seems to be too old to support compiz 3D ??

Rgds
Pei

jiapei100
May 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Problem seems to be solved by picking up unity 2, instead of default unity, which seems require 3D support first...

Rgds