PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 Unity - Where is Startup Disk Creator?

markhorrocks
April 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I just did an online upgrade to 100.40 from 10.10 and it hangs on reboot. I managed to get in using the selection "previous version of ubuntu" but still have the unity desktop.

I now want to download 11.04 and reinstall the OS from a USB stick but can't find the Startup Disk creator in the Unity Desktop.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mc4man
April 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Open up the dash (ubuntu button, upper left) and type in st
it will show up after 2 letters

markhorrocks
April 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for that, I found it.

How can i browse the administration utilities? The method you described requires knowing the name of the required utility in order to find it. I can't find any browse option.

howefield
April 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Press the Applications lens on the Unity launcher, and top right of the Dash you will have an "All Applications" drop down menu from which you can select the desired category.

markhorrocks
April 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Found them too, they are all lumped into one kitchen sink in installed apps, it seems really weird. I kind of preferred the old categorized style of Gnome.

Paddy Landau
April 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
How can i browse the administration utilities?
Bizarrely, the settings are on the power icon. See the Natty UI options thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293) for more info.

GJCGJC
April 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
There's an application shortcut in the unity launcher - it looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign in it. You can invoke the same thing by holding the super (Windows) key and pressing 'a' for application. Holding super and pressing 'f' lets you browse files.

markhorrocks
April 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Press the Applications lens on the Unity launcher, and top right of the Dash you will have an "All Applications" drop down menu from which you can select the desired category.
There is no drop down menu, it opens a screen with a search box and a bunch of icons with a label "shortcuts".