PDA

View Full Version : Unity GUI training camp - [for Unity-enthusiast/skeptic who want it costructive]

alexan
April 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Ok, I did read many user completely dissatisfied with the new GUI: what's the problem? No one is willing to taking a learning course... and everything new require learning. No matter how much easy it is supposed to be.

Since we're supposed to be a open community we (no Mac vs. PC stuff) and we're able to set from scratch our tool-OS why don't share some opinion with constructive behaviors?

Rules for skeptic: Ok, that feature/problem you did found really sucks. Tell us what's the problem... but keep in mind that people would suggest you an alternative way to do the same thing you're used to. Respect your and others opinion and way to go

Rules for enthusiast: Unity isn't the holy grail, you can't make everyone happy... also you had to keep in mind that Unity will change as well (or someone will fork it). Unity is not perfect in the concept or in the code... as everything else in the planet: so deal with it.

Others: Oh! ok... we know you're not skeptic nor enthusiast: as everyone else :roll:

My ideas on Unity: I am still learning it (three days for the first use). So I did found it rather buggy with some software... also I am exclusively using Unity2d (2 notebook + a desktop: thanks legacy ATI ç_ç).

1 tip: if you've the same problem of mine (OpenGL working... but not with Unity).. all you need is click here (apt:/unity2d). After finished logout and login with unity2d interface.
2 tip: ubuntu logo on top-left work in two way with mouse keep in mind the difference
>2A: mouse hover on the logo > taskbar with your running app appear (when a windows is maximized)
>2B: click on the logo > panel "general propose" appear thus paralize everything you're doing.. you can use it to launch app; but I do suggest you to use "+ magnify" icon if you remember which application you want to run.
3. use the "+magnify icon" to launch app (mouse over the logo > down to the icon): click > type the first letter of the software you want to run untill isn't the first icon to appear; then press "enter"
4. keep in mind that browse your software with only mouse is a bit problematic here (gnome classic menu was more easy and immediately accessible when installing new software)
ie: install rakarrack: Application > Multimedia > Rakarrack

lonewohlf42
April 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
My big complaint is that you can tweak unity. Unity is wysiwyg, No way to customize.

alexan
April 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
My big complaint is that you can tweak unity. Unity is wysiwyg, No way to customize.

Yes, it was obviously made for "touchscreen" mindset (smartphone/ppc/tablet). Very little can be done so far now. Probably in future tweaking will come.
The only "tweaking feature" I would suggest so far now is to remove all default app icons (firefox, software center etc...) and wait to see which app you do use mostly (and thus place there)

grahammechanical
April 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Well done Alexan.

This is the issue for someone like me who tries to give help on these forums: What interface is the person using? There is Ubuntu and Ubuntu classic and Unity 2D. Some who post problems do not say what version of Ubuntu there are using. Now, they are not saying what interface they are on. It can make a difference to the instructions that are given.

My number 1 tip is: Do not mess around with what you do not understand. Learn the interface. Learn what it does. Always be prepared to do a fresh install to fix what you break.

Tip number 2: Do not demand or even expect answers for your Unity problems. Unity is new for nearly everyone of us and not just for you. Some of us will not be upgrading to 11.04 for a while. Some of us will not be using Unity. Those of us that are going to use Unity are new users just like you. We do not have all the answers. We have our own experience, that is all.

Regards.

imbjr
April 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
My biggest difficulty is working with two non-maximised applications side-by-side. The global menu means I have to keep leaping up to the top after giving the application I want to use focus.

The focus issue is not the problem, naturally you must give an application focus to use it, but then finding that one has to go to the top of the screen to use that application's menu does not feel right.

I do have a work-around for this. There's a package that can be uninstalled so that each application gets its own menu, but what side-effects that has I do not know.

alexan
April 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM
My biggest difficulty is working with two non-maximised applications side-by-side. The global menu means I have to keep leaping up to the top after giving the application I want to use focus.

The focus issue is not the problem, naturally you must give an application focus to use it, but then finding that one has to go to the top of the screen to use that application's menu does not feel right.

I do have a work-around for this. There's a package that can be uninstalled so that each application gets its own menu, but what side-effects that has I do not know.

What about maximize one of the two? then set the other (hopefully a very small one) as always on the top. If and when you need to focus more on the main windows (the maximized one) you just need to move off screen on right then use [ctrl]+[alt]+[right] to switch desktop and see it. This could be useful if you need a visual feedback of the smaller one just by time in time

additional tip: when switching desktop you can use [shift]+[ctrl]+[alt]+[direction] to "hook" one window and move it to the desktop you want

NormanFLinux
April 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I think the concept is sound. But it needs a lot of more work. The experience is just too dumbed down for the power user - who is going to be annoyed by the limitations. Few people want a Fisher-Price toy and I think Mark Shuttleworth thinks that people all want the same computing experience.

While people may want a familiar environment, they want the ability to customize a computer to serve their needs. Canonical needs to understand that if it wants a successful Unity experience in time for Oneiric Ocelot later on this year.

alexan
April 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
"Looks like a toy" don't leave much space for analysis. Can you elaborate it a bit more?
The "tweak" problem was already noted. Even the "start" menu and taskbar from old windows 95 didn't take many tweak (as come by default)... and if you consider few exception that came with Seven (14 years after) not much is changed either (some "dynamic" function inside the menu and little more around the clock).
Remember the main feature of unity is:
top-left > launch application, close, switch between open application

difference for a common system (windows)
launch application - bottom left
close - top right
switch between application - center-bottom

imbjr
April 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
What about maximize one of the two? then set the other (hopefully a very small one) as always on the top. If and when you need to focus more on the main windows (the maximized one) you just need to move off screen on right then use [ctrl]+[alt]+[right] to switch desktop and see it. This could be useful if you need a visual feedback of the smaller one just by time in time

additional tip: when switching desktop you can use [shift]+[ctrl]+[alt]+[direction] to "hook" one window and move it to the desktop you want

Maximizing one of the windows is a possibility, but not if there is some reference material in one window you are constantly using to do something in the other window.

As for that shift+ctrl+alt+direction key combo: oh dear, that sounds terrible. 4 keys to be pressed at once! However, I just tried it, and it's probably something that could be gotten used to, but it would not be useful for my use-case. There are times when you really do want two non-maximized windows side-by-side and their menus easily accessible.

alexan
April 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
What about put both windows slightly next-right to the left border (not touching the panel area) so the panel does stay visible? (see the screenshot for reference).

The application wich don't need to be switched (maximized with left panel hidden) can be placed on another desktop

3rdalbum
April 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM

That's because you've been using the global menu for two or three days now. Give it time, you'll get used to it.

NadirPoint
April 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know if I have developed any firm opinions on the Unity subject just yet. I only got a system installed and basic configs done for the first time last night and spent no more than a couple of hours with it. I often found myself thinking things like "kaaay, that's wild," and "where'd that go..." But overall I liked it, welcome the change and moving in a new UI direction. It can only get better. Just needs some getting used to.

FWIW, I believe the so-called "power users" complaining about lack of customization, etc. are simply too focused on the PC for the sake of the PC itself. I used to be like that, but have come to the point where I recognize the computer for what it is: merely a tool to do work with. The things important to me are the applications and how reliably and well they do their jobs. Humans are wonderfully adaptable and will work with what they have to the optimal level of potential efficiency. Unity is a right step in the direction of enabling that goal.

ratcheer
April 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Right now, my biggest complaint is that there is no obvious way to change the Properties of icons. I have to go back to Gnome Classic, make my edits, and, fortunately, when I come back to Unity my changes are still in effect.

I also have a problem with maximized windows sometimes being overlaid by the task bar (or, whatever you call the bar of icons on the left). For example, if I have Firefox only in a workspace and it is maximized, the task bar autohides, appropriately. But, if I add KeePass in the same workspace, the taskbar unhides and will not go back to hidden, so the leftmost inch or so of my Firefox screen is overlaid.

Tim

CraigPaleo
April 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I appreciate training camp. The fact that it's needed speaks volumes.

cariboo
April 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Using Unity is fairly simple, to get the most out of it though, you may want to look at this (http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity) blog post by Jorge Castro.

Swagman
April 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Ok ..So I go download 64 bit Natty..Install to a USB stick (16gb) and reboot to test.....

Thing the 1st, System specs

Motherboard..........Asus M4A87TD Evo
AMD Phenom II x4 965 (Black Edition - Un-overclocked)
Ram ................4gb
Graphics............Nvidia 8800GT
Soundcard...........Xonar Dx2 (Pci)
Monitor.............Samsung 26" 2693HM

Thing the 2nd

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9358/nattyscreenshot.th.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/nattyscreenshot.jpg/)

ok.. So where's this fancy dock on the left ?
Moves mouse over to left of screen...shovey shovey.. Nope nothing there.

(Strike 1)

Thing the 3rd

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5103/natty1screenshot.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/natty1screenshot.jpg/)

(Strike 2)

Well ok.. So this things got bugs, lets play around and.....

Uh oh.... dropped me back to login screen with only choice being "Other"

So what's "Others" password ?

restart... But it hangs...& hangs & hangs...& .... finger of death.. GO AWAY

(Strike 3)

We'll stay right where we are on 10:10 for now

Ironically 10:10 in CB speak means goodbye... Is there a message in that somewhere ?

jerenept
April 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
My only complaint with Unity is the GlobalMenu.
It's really confusing; is there any way to permanently disable it?

ngrieb
April 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think that you are very mistaken if you think it is the Ubuntu community's unwillingness to learn that is the problem here. I think that most of us are here because we like the ability to learn about and change things about the Ubuntu OS. I feel that ability has been slowly going away since Ubuntu 8.10 (and maybe even earlier).

CraigPaleo
April 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM
My only complaint with Unity is the GlobalMenu.
It's really confusing; is there any way to permanently disable it?

Remove appmenu-gtk and appmenu-qt

In firefox it's an extension - just open firefox - tools - addons - extensions and disable (or remove the package in synaptic, search appmenu
for qt4 apps, if any, then remove

Rinzwind
April 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Is there someone with a PNG with shortcuts? Or something that I can put over my current desktop (a screenlet?) ?

Tip #1: alt-f2 opens 'run command' (anyone probably knows that). But it took some time to realize that ESC closes it again.

Throne777
April 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Is there someone with a PNG with shortcuts? Or something that I can put over my current desktop (a screenlet?) ?

http://i.imgur.com/pf1y5.png

alexan
May 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Learn on something which don't work fine can be really problematic; Unity is definitely buggy.. but it shouldn't be consider as some kind of fault.
The old tale "linux is fragmented" can explain a bit of everything. If it would had be sort of w3c standard for linux software Canonical should be blamed to have done a bad work (kind of when we do bash on IE unability to comply standards on some website).
Those who are still training (like me) on Unity had to keep this in mind: probably things will change in near future... so let's keep our learning as "relative" possible (instead absolutist).

#1 I think that the first thing we will see change is the Global Menu by itself... so far now is pretty useless:
[Multimedia Software] [Internet Software] [Duplicate Application Icon] [Duplicate Find File Icon]
[stuff][stuff]

#2 I do suggest to ignore (for now) the global menu and focus more on the remaining icons. Specifically [Application] and [File&Folders] ones.

#3 [Desktop Area] icon is a bit tricky if you're not used to use different work space or, more probably, you're used to the compiz cube (left-right with now top-bottom desktop)

@4 switch between windows of the same application is still a bit tricky to me. Wander all around the screen with the mouse cursor looking for the correct window is not profitable. [alt]+[tab] doesn't help either. Someone had a good idea how deal with it?

idea: when you press on the global menu the top bar lay empty. Why don't make return the classic application menu there? (Accessories, Multimedia, Audio&Video etc.)

Peter09
May 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
@4 switch between windows of the same application is still a bit tricky to me. Wander all around the screen with the mouse cursor looking for the correct window is not profitable. [alt]+[tab] doesn't help either. Someone had a good idea how deal with it?double click the launcher icon to expose that apps open windows.
Or Super+icon number

gaaslight
May 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Here's an option for those who want to configure Unity.

sudo apt-get install ccsm

run Compiz Settings Manager. There are Ubuntu Unity Plugin settings in the Desktop group. There aren't too many options but one of them is to turn it off, leaving a desktop without any panel or launcher.

You can right-click to add a desktop icon launcher and go from there. Installing a panel like tint2 can give you a way of switching desktops as well as a system tray and date/time.

Other settings can be used to enhance the Compiz interface to suit your needs.

Save this script to ~/logout.sh

#!/bin/sh

ACTION=`zenity --width=90 --height=200 --list --radiolist --text="Select logout action" --title="Logout" --column "Choice" --column "Action" TRUE Shutdown FALSE Reboot FALSE Logout`

if [ -n "${ACTION}" ];then
case $ACTION in
Shutdown)
zenity --question --text "Are you sure you want to halt?" && gksudo halt
;;
Reboot)
zenity --question --text "Are you sure you want to reboot?" && gksudo reboot
;;
Logout)
gnome-session-save --kill
;;
esac
fi

Make it executable then add a launcher to the desktop and point it to this file.

This will enable you to logout/reboot/shutdown.

odiseo77
May 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hi people,

Is there the possibility to set the launcher "unhide" time to a certain number of milliseconds? I set it to "Autohide" on the CCSM, but the time of appearance when I put the pointer on the left border of the screen is too long for my taste (if not, this would be a nice feature to implement in future releases) :)

cor2y
May 5th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Does anyone know how i can get unity to behave with icons from lesser know apps or games.
For example unless restarted the correct icons for some linux games like Revenge Of The Titans will not correctly display on the Unity bar instead i get that grey square with a question mark in the middle

geoff07
June 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I just installed 11.04 as an upgrade. I have been using Ubuntu for several years and before that Suse. I am probably an advanced user.

Unity looks nice. But it failed the first test - no obvious button to access system functions (and no visible info on how it was meant to be used). So to set up Nvidia I needed the classic approach of Gnome. So I switched. Why would I switch back?

grahammechanical
June 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
What are you talking about?

What you cannot find is right there at the bottom of the shutdown button menu. It is called System Settings and it loads the Control Centre. I found it easy enough the first time by clicking everything that could be clicked.

You will also find it when you activate the Dash and type System Settings. A third way is to click the Applications lens and then either click All Applications or See more (xx number) results. Each utility can also be accessed through it own icon. How many more ways do you want?

As an advanced user you know that whatever operating system you are using it must be able to do certain things that all operating systems do. It is just a question of finding the method used. The same applies to using different programs that have the same purpose, such as word processors.

In my opinion, putting System Settings on the shutdown menu is no more strange than putting shutdown under the start button. As another operating system used to do or still does as far as I know.

At least with Ubuntu you have been given a choice as to what User Interface you prefer to use. Buy a new computer with an operating system pre-installed and you have no choice but to use what you have purchased. I think that we have reasons to be thankful. Especially because it does not costs us a penny, or to use decimal money, one pee.

Regards.