PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 - Unity not working

LordAro
April 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I have just upgraded to ubuntu 11.04 (from 10.10), any unity is not working. 'Ubuntu Classic' works fine (i'm on it now) but on 'Ubuntu', my background loads, but the icons and windows just flicker periodically (within a couple of seconds.
I realise 11.04 is only just out, but is this a known problem? and is there a fix?

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1GB memory
nVidia GeForce FX 5500

thanks for any help :)

Rubi1200
April 30th, 2011, 12:08 PM
You need to check whether your system meets the requirements to run Unity:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/UnityHardwareRequirements
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

LordAro
April 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
lordaro@TobyUbuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.3
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

I think this means that my graphics card is not up to it, yes?

lulio
April 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I've just installed 11.04 using VirtualBox (running Windows 7), and upon startup it said my system did not have the capability to support Unity. But I'm quite sure my specs meet the requirements, is this just because I'm running Ubuntu in a virtual environment?

DesertRaider
April 30th, 2011, 06:29 PM
You need to install the latest version of VBoxGuestAdditons into your Ubuntu system. Once you boot into ubuntu then go to your menus and select intsall VBoxGuestAdditons. It will give you a couple of auto run prompts and then take a few minutes to compile for the kernel and then you will need to reboot your VM for the unity to work.

Hope this helps.

Riskexas
April 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM
soo? what is the answer for unity?

ikoinu
September 19th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Don't know for him, but re-installing guest editions from the devices top menu and rebooting fixed Unity.

olygoalie
September 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Having a similar issue. Installed 11.04 in advance of 11.10 release. Can't get unity 2d to install. When I run from terminal I get the following:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
unity-2d-default-settings : Depends: unity-2d but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Any suggestions?

raja.genupula
September 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM
@olygoalie

hey man , are you getting any errors while doing update ?
could you please post the output of
sudo apt-get update here

Jerseyz
September 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I got the same problem about Unity...
Who knows the solution??

olygoalie
September 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM
@raja.genupula

Hmm. I seem to be getting an update error as well. Here's the output message:

Fetched 1 B in 6s (0 B/s)
W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_bina ry-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Thanks for any help or insight you might have.

olygoalie
September 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
also got this output message:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity-2d-team/unity-2d-daily

Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80/ --recv AD8079E4480677B271DCE8EB6CECEA1EE32DD113
gpg: requesting key E32DD113 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key E32DD113: "Launchpad PPA for unity-2d-team" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

MAFoElffen
September 20th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I got the same problem about Unity...
Who knows the solution??
I apologized that I didn't see this thread until now... This should have been an easy answer and done with.

Run from a command line:

sudo /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
Which is the unity compatibility test... And to the original poster... As far as I know, an NVidia Geoforce 5 series GPU is not capable for 3D Unity. There's still 2D Unity and Gnome though.

olygoalie
September 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM
I know I have no 3d support, but I still should be able to install 2d, right? Still not able to do that.

MAFoElffen
September 21st, 2011, 04:17 AM
I know I have no 3d support, but I still should be able to install 2d, right? Still not able to do that.
Yes- 2D should work -and- yes that is a problem that it is not installing(???)

Why are you trying to install from PPA? It's in the regular repo's. Easiest is to install from synaptic...

olygoalie
September 22nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
@MAFFoElfen: Synaptic shows that all the 2D packages are broken. Do I attempt a reinstall from disk?

olygoalie
September 23rd, 2011, 04:06 AM
When I try to fix broken packages in Synaptic I get the following error message:

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.