PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it necesary to use unity on 11.04 ?

hoboy
April 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have upgraded from 10.04 to 11.04, unity is causing problem for me like desktop tool bar is missing, now I have use classic that look fine to me.
So is it necessary to use unity to get the full effect of 11.04 ?

Irihapeti
April 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM
As far as I know, it's not necessary to use Unity. In fact, not everyone can. If classic works fine for you, then use that.

If you really want the Unity experience and your hardware won't support it, there's a 2D version of Unity in the repos that you can install.

Dale61
April 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I upgraded to last night, and the first reboot had me in Unity. As I have been slack in keeping up with the changes, it was a little WTF moment from me.

Anyways, as I was going through the process of activating this and that, once the additional graphic drivers were installed and activated, I lost Unity and was defaulted back to how I remembered 10.10 looked. I then removed said drivers and returned to Unity, but just couldn't get my head around it, so re-activated the drivers and returned to the 'classic' look.

I might re-consider Unity in the future, but I have to rectify why I can't connect wirelessly first!

hoboy
April 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
As far as I know, it's not necessary to use Unity. In fact, not everyone can. If classic works fine for you, then use that.

If you really want the Unity experience and your hardware won't support it, there's a 2D version of Unity in the repos that you can install.

I had installed unity-2d but I still didn't have a top bar.