PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install review

jmore9
April 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
My 11.04 install review

downloaded the cd and burned it to a cdrw

Did a clean install. It did the install faster than the other versions have done. It seemed to download the updates it needed.

OK all is installed. Now to the log on.

Tried to log on to the ubuntu selection , but no joy just locked up.

So turned off machine and rebooted into classic with effects, no joy just locked up.

So turned off machine and rebooted into classic with no effects and got a desktop. I then installed the nvidia drivers that it showed were available and rebooted.

1st tried into classic with effects same as 2nd original try just locked up. Rebooted and tried again. This got a desktop in the classics with effects.

I learned the following :

This machine will need at least a $60.00 video card to use ubuntu.

So if the machine i tested it on needs a new vid card the the other two will also because they use on board intel 800 series i forget which i think 845s. So that means i will have to spend at least $180.00 on video cards to use ubuntu.

Now my 2 laptops use the same intel video chips. A new/used laptop is app. $450.00 each.

So the guessitamate cost to use ubuntu 11.04 will be around $1080.00 .

Thats 3 video cards and 2 new/used laptops.

One of my buddies emailed me he read a recently completed study from somewhere in Calif. that there they have about 35% of current users will not be able to use ubuntu 11.04. If they just move to another distro they can still use linux i suppose. But if that is across the country then Ubuntu could lose 35% of its user base. Especially the laptop crowd because they cannot upgrade their video chips. That would be a pretty big hit.

So for me at least this looks like 1010 is the end of the line for my use of ubuntu because I can't see myself spending that amount of money just to use Ubuntu. And people should understand that classic with effects and classic are not ubuntu 11.04, it says so when you select which interface to use at the logon screen.

I am probably going to switch everything over to debian next week. :)