PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank Screen During Installation Ubuntu 11.04

prodo123
April 30th, 2011, 03:42 AM
This is a repost of my thread in the Absolute Beginner Forums, because no one's replying. Mods, could you please delete that thread? Thanks. :)

I checked the MD5 checksum, etc. all good. Except when I boot up into the USB, my best guess is the graphics driver is not loaded or something.
I DO NOT mean after installation. I mean during the installation process itself.

Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit
SiS Mirage 3 Graphics M671
3GB RAM
1.73Ghz C2D CPU
1280x800 Screen
4GB USB drive

I created a bootable USB from both UNetbootin and Ubuntu's USB creator thingy found on the downloads page. For UNetbootin, I tried Netboot. For both, I tried "Try Ubuntu without installing" and "Install Ubuntu on this computer". Both of these options went through a whole lot of text, then the screen that says this:

Ubuntu 11.04
. . . .

Which I suppose is the loading screen. Then, knowing from previous installations, the installation GUI is supposed to show up. But instead, a black screen (which is still backlit) shows up. I read multiple times that the mismatch of graphics drivers on Nvidia chipsets can cause this, but I do not own Nvidia; I own a SiS Mirage 3 M671. Ubuntu 10.10 at least went into a VESA 800x600 mode; this cannot even display a mouse pointer.

Like all tech issues I post in the forums, there is no error code. Ubuntu does, however, try many different USB methods until it can find the right driver, disabling IRQ 25, 28 and 29 in the process.

Also, whatever boot parameters I use in the Ubuntu-provided USB gives a "No Kernel Image Found", and holding shift brings up a console screen with "boot:" and the same error for whatever I type in.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? I REALLY NEED UBUNTU INSTALLED.
Thanks!

prodo123
April 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Please I need help!!!!!!!

prodo123
April 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
P L E A S E someone help!