PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 black screen

small_potato
April 30th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I just update ubuntu 11.04 from 10.10, so the screen keeps black after re-boot. Then I try to boot with previous version of booter. It worked. Can someone comment on this. Thanks.

drymnfr
April 30th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I have the same exact problem.

Upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 this afternoon. Screen goes black on reboot.

Previous versions(for example: 2.6.35-28 ) of Ubuntu boot up fine. I also noticed that things are fine, as long as I log in using the "Classic Desktop". If I use "Unity" the screen freezes intermittently.

Rubi1200
April 30th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Post the specifications for the computer especially graphics card and RAM.

Did you read the release notes?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

Did you check whether 11.04 will work with your hardware?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/UnityHardwareRequirements

yimgame
April 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Same Problem here, this is a particulary problem related to something lost for the driver NVidia 270.x.x if you have a NVidia card like me.
I am updating from 10.10 and have runing NVidia 260.x.x very well with fusion and many plugins compiled with the Omega Script; but after update to 11.04 and re installing drivers NVidia now at 270.x.x version because the 260.x.x. go off and don't work, the 270 giving me a login screen from gdm but the screen is not rendering at all after you login, but this is normal in the nix world, i think in a few days the solution will come from some way, nix is not plug and play system at all, everytime you need to do somenting related to console, the problem is know what ;) i guess the comunity and google will provide that for all us than don't know to much about nix, like me. :popcorn:

drymnfr
May 2nd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Finally, after 2 days of trying different things, the one thing that worked for me is the following:

1) changed /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off splash"
and subsequently ran

sudo update-grub

I haven't checked Unity desktop yet, but Gnome desktop is working normally as before.

No more black screen of death:D

walter_j
May 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Finally, after 2 days of trying different things, the one thing that worked for me is the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off splash"
and subsequently ran

sudo update-grub

I haven't checked Unity desktop yet, but Gnome desktop is working normally as before.

so how did you change it if no display? (have a black screen too)

krishnandu.sarkar
May 3rd, 2011, 05:09 AM

Boot using Previous Versions

I'm too facing exact same problem. Here's my thread...no one replied http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1747190

I can boot with Previous version but not with 2.6.38-8.

@drymnfr Will try your method after getting back home. Wish it works. Though I use Unity, lets see what happens.

BTW so this is the problem with NVIDIA Cards??

drymnfr
May 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
As krishnandu suggested, I was able to boot with older kernels I have on my system. My problems started only after a distribution upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04.

Boot using Previous Versions

I'm too facing exact same problem. Here's my thread...no one replied http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1747190

I can boot with Previous version but not with 2.6.38-8.

@drymnfr Will try your method after getting back home. Wish it works. Though I use Unity, lets see what happens.

BTW so this is the problem with NVIDIA Cards??

From what I've read so far, this problem is not just for NVIDIA cards. Other video cards are having similar problems.

The good news for you, I see is that you are able to boot up fine with older kernels. After the upgrade, older kernels will display the Unity desktop. You can log in using "Classic Desktop", which should give you the gnome desktop, if you like.

The following thread has lots of good suggestions for people with the black screen of death - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

krishnandu.sarkar
May 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, no I'm fine with Unity, don't want to move to GNOME again. But is there any possible fix for the newest kernel??

Or should we have to wait for the next kernel release??

shaynl
May 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Hey drymnfr , thanks for your help.
I had this black screen on fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04.
I tried your solution and it worked but now something happened with the wireless connection. It shows as enable but don't find any wireless networks… It works fine before… what could it be??
p.s
I'm using Acer Adpire 1410.

drymnfr
May 3rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hey drymnfr , thanks for your help.
I had this black screen on fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04.
I tried your solution and it worked but now something happened with the wireless connection. It shows as enable but don't find any wireless networks… It works fine before… what could it be??
p.s
I'm using Acer Adpire 1410.

acpi=off is known to cause wireless card problems for some.

You could try other options below(each on it's own separately) and see if any one of them works for you.
pci=noacpi
acpi=noirq
irqpoll
noapic
acpi_osi="Linux"

Since your problem is similar you should add your name to this bug report - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/775899

Meanwhile, you could also try browsing through this wonderful thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535 and see if any other options over there can help you find a workaround for this bug.

krishnandu.sarkar
May 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ok guys, after reading many posts on Black Screen problem I tried..

1. Adding nomodset to boot option, didn't worked. BTW It was already thee.
2. Removing NVIDIA Drivers, sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*. Still no result.
3. Installing NVIDIA Drivers again, sudo apt-get install nvidia-current, sudo nvidia-xconfig. Still didn't worked.
4. Installing kernel image and headers again, sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-<latest kernel grabbed from uname -a> and sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-<latest kernel grabbed from uname -a>. Still no result.

So what's the problem guys?? Please help. I don't want to perform a clean installation, all my programs and datas will be lost. Why does ubuntu always breaks while upgrading??

BTW at last I tried removing the kernel parameteres and boot only with ro, vga=775 and nomodset and got the text booting, and it says something vbox loading failed.

My PC Configuration is as follows:
Intel Pentium D @ 3.0Ghz
Intel DG945GCCR Motherboard
1x1GB DDR2 RAM and 1x2GB DDR2 RAM (Total 3GB RAM)
XFX NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB DDR2

mrmylanman
May 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm having this same problem, turning ACPI off doesn't seem to fix it either. Ugh.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X120e, with the Fusion E350 APU (Radeon 6310 GPU) and 2GB RAM.

Other distros seem to not have any problem booting at all with the most recent kernels, so it's something Ubuntu-specific.

tadaskr
May 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
On my toshiba satellite a300 kubuntu and ubuntu have black screen. But it is on boot. I can't even install 11.04 for some unknown reasons. and black screen isn't end. My laptop freezes with black screen

MAFoElffen
May 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Ok, no I'm fine with Unity, don't want to move to GNOME again. But is there any possible fix for the newest kernel??

Or should we have to wait for the next kernel release??After exhausting trying this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Or should we have to wait for the next kernel release??

You don't have to. Start safemode. Go synaptic... Software sources... Select natty proposed.
Search on "kernel" Kernel "2.6.38.9 proposed" is in the repo's and fixes some of this.

Other options are to roll back to kernel 2.6.37.x

Other instructions here in post 2:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Please follow the link to the LP Bug in post 2 and subscribe to it!!l

docmark777
May 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Anyone know how long it is likely to be until they release an update that just fixes it?

mrmylanman
May 8th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I've been trying to avoid doing this but I downloaded and installed the proprietary Catalyst drivers for my GPU and that fixed the problem, just as an FYI. I had to do nomodeset on the kernel line, in order to get it to boot (which killed the open-source Radeon driver), then installed the Catalyst driver, and problems disappeared while having GPU acceleration.

In light of that, perhaps it's a bug with KMS. Kind of sucks as I really like KMS, but I'll revisit this once a new kernel makes its way across my updates list, since I'd rather have something I know works for now (got some conventions to go to and I'll need my laptop working for those for email and other stuff).

Hope my $0.02 helps someone, though.

MAFoElffen
May 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM
This was an update and my last conversation with drymnfr on this, and should resolve this further:

Quoted from my sticky at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Thank you MAFoElffen and everyone else, for all your help.

Background:
If you remember, the only thing that worked for me before, was changing my /etc/default/grub with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off quiet splash"

The problem I had after that was that the system freezes on Shut Down.
I kept troubleshooting. The only instructions I had not tried(from MAFoElffen's to do list) was the vga=xxx option, so I decided to try that today.

I got a list of mode numbers from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

Happy to say that a few of them worked for me and the best one is vga=824

The following line is now in my /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=824"and subsequently ran

sudo update-grubEverything is normal as before. No black screen after grub. Shutdown problems gone, obviously. All kernels, including 2.6.38-9, 2.6.38-8, 2.6.35-28 boot fine.
Wahoo!

That's why I specifically mention using "hwinfo --framebuffer" which will return the modes that "your" installed hardware says it supports. Less to have to try. The hardest part in that is converting the hex values to decimal to use in the " vga=xxx "

Valir553
May 10th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hey everyone, Just signed up and found this issue and just fixed mine. Ive got 11.04 running with my GTS450 Nvidia card.

Booted up into recover mode and seleceted failsafe X mode (or something like) and had the pc just boot into basic graphics, once I logged in I opened up terminal and typed sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

after it installed, I ran sudo nvidia-xconfig and sudo reboot

upon reboot, I was able to fully load ubuntu with no issues. I can run sudo nvidia-settings and have full gfx (im guessing unity in 11.04 is with the side panel and cool gfx ^_^ )

GL All hope it helps a bit.

MAFoElffen
May 10th, 2011, 06:18 AM

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off splash"and subsequently ran

sudo update-grubI haven't checked Unity desktop yet, but Gnome desktop is working normally as before.

If you had to use apci=off, this is an open LP bug, please subscribe to it to get it fixed. But follow the workaraound in my previous post and you shouldn't need it. Look at post 2 of this sticky for the bug link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Pashmina
December 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Just installed 11.10 on an old Sony Vaio that ALREADY HAD the no backlight problem under WinXP - hence original owner was about to junk it. Set apci=off in grub and the backlight stays on, but system hangs on shutdown. Tried various numbers wih vga=xxx by editing grub on boot, from hwinfo, but none worked. Is there any other downside to having disabled acpi?