PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Install from windows or other live cd

meem1029
April 30th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I'm curious as to if what I want to do is possible.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.10 and wish to do a clean installation since it has become very cluttered with programs (I had the ooh, that looks like a cool free program I can download and then never use it again syndrome for a while). Since I've been doing some sound stuff with my computer, I decided to try Ubuntu Studio. Anyway, I am at college and do not have any cds available to be able to burn the image on. Is there a way to install Ubuntu onto my current partition (yes, I want to back everything up and erase what is on this partition) without burning the .iso to a disk. I have a Ubuntu 10.04 live disk and a Windows 7 partition on my hard drive.

Is this possible with what I have and can anyone give me instructions or link me to something showing how? (I googled for a bit, but must have been missing the magic keywords if it's out there.)

Tons of thanks to whoever can help me!

Blasphemist
April 30th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I' running natty and haven't seen a lucid cd in a while but, you should be able to do an upgrade using the erase lucid and reinstall option. Then you could use update manager to update from there. Or you could install the iso on a usb instead of a cd. Do you have a usb stick?

meem1029
April 30th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Hmm, I didn't even think about using usb instead of a cd. That would probably work. I guess I was more curious as to if I could install an iso that's already on my hard drive, but now I don't need to worry about it. Thanks!

Blasphemist
April 30th, 2011, 02:41 AM
You need the iso contents on a bootable device.