PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minecraft, jar

automattig
April 30th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'm playing minecraft and I am getting annoyed that I have to run the command java -jar minecraft.jar every time I want to run it. Is there a way to create a simple icon launcher, and if possible how do I create it?

Regards

greybirds
May 1st, 2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah, there is. I'm assuming you're using Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu or some other variant. It's possible there as well, but I just don't know offhand how to do it. I'm also assuming you're not using Unity; if you are, I'm afraid I can't help you.

You have two quick/dirty choices: you can add Minecraft to your Games menu or create a launcher in the panel for it.

To add it to your menu:

Right click the Applications menu and select "Edit Menu".
Click the "Games" section, then click the "New Item" button. A launcher properties window opens.
Follow the instructions under Common Steps, below.

To add a launcher to the panel:

Right click the panel and select "Add to panel..."
Select "Custom Application Launcher", then click the Add button.
A launcher properties window opens.
Follow the instructions under Common Steps, below.

Common Steps:

Leave type as application and fill in the name with "Minecraft".
Click the "Browse" button, navigate to the folder where you store your minecraft.jar and select it, then click Open.
Notice it filled the "Command" text box with the path to your minecraft.jar; add "java -jar " (without quotes, but with the space at the end) to the beginning of this text, so it looks like this: java -jar /home/your_username/some/folders/minecraft.jar.
Click the icon in the upper-left hand corner and pick a custom icon if you want. You can download pretty much any image from the web; Google Images has lots of good options.
Close the launcher properties window and the menu editor if it's open. Minecraft should be waiting for you in Applications -> Games or on your panel.