PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity broken

wazza75
April 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Unity in Ubuntu 11.04 is broken. When i log in to Unity, all I get is my desktop background, nothing else.

oldarney
April 29th, 2011, 11:02 PM
you probably disabled the unity plugin in compiz. Try right clicking on the desktop, create a launcher to "gnome-panel" and access compiz using the old fashion menus to reenable Unity.

wazza75
April 30th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Thats exactly what I did. Thanks for that, all fixed now.

wazza75
April 30th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Actually I still have one problem. Now the workspace switcher doesn't work in Unity. Any ideas.

Thanks

Redbaron62
April 30th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Having the same problem. did the same thing to cause it too. Can somebody explain what is meant by "reenable Unity"

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 02:49 AM
You both need either to enable the "Desktop Wall" plugin in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Desktop" or the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" by following this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10734118#post10734118
But the path to the Unity specific profile may be "/apps/compizconfig-1/profiles/unity/general/screen0/options", please give feedback on that.

Greetings.

wazza75
April 30th, 2011, 03:17 AM
The path is right. I did that, but the workspace switcher is still not working.

untenops
April 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I still say unity is broken. All I get is a wallpaper, and thats it. if i right click on the desktop, I get a menu that flashed on for bout half a second then its gone then its back 5 seconds later, and gone again.

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 03:37 AM
The path is right. I did that, but the workspace switcher is still not working.
You need to relogin after modifying the key, or at least restart Compiz by running "compiz --replace" via the Alt+F2 dialog.

Also, make sure that there is more than one workspace set in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> General Options -> Desktop Size (tab)".

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I still say unity is broken. All I get is a wallpaper, and thats it. if i right click on the desktop, I get a menu that flashed on for bout half a second then its gone then its back 5 seconds later, and gone again.
Could you run Compiz (desktop effects) in your previously used version?
How about "Ubuntu Classic" with Compiz?

Redbaron62
April 30th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Thanks for this, but for some reason there is no border on the windows; I can't drag it or anything. I also can't close it unless it takes up the entire screen, so that the close button is on the panel. The workspace switcher isn't working either.

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Thanks for this, but for some reason there is no border on the windows; I can't drag it or anything. I also can't close it unless it takes up the entire screen, so that the close button is on the panel. The workspace switcher isn't working either.
The same what I wrote in post #9 applies to you.

As for the window decorations, please see this parallely running thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743724

Redbaron62
April 30th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I now seem to have the workspace thing fixed, as well as the window border problem; now my only problem is that I get the same exact thing when I go on regular ubuntu and classic. Is there any way to remove unity from the ubuntu classic?

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I now seem to have the workspace thing fixed, as well as the window border problem; now my only problem is that I get the same exact thing when I go on regular ubuntu and classic. Is there any way to remove unity from the ubuntu classic?
There are at least two sets of settings for Compiz in Gconf
(these are the paths to the 'active_plugins' keys):

- one that is meant as general settings, or usual Gnome:
"/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options"

- and one that is specifically set up for Unity:
"/apps/compizconfig-1/profiles/unity/general/screen0/options"

Also, make sure that in Unity's CCSM the profile "Unity" is selected in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Preferences (bottom left) -> Profile".

Please report if there is another profile in "/apps/compizconfig-1/profiles" and how it's called.

Henry-t
May 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I got myself into the same trap after mucking around with CCSM.

The only way I found to resolve it was to create a launcher for ccsm - run it -> Select Preferences -> select the Default profile from the pulldown menu.

Logged on and off again and desktop reset.