PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 to 11.04 Upgrade - CD vs Online Experiences

VideoRoy
April 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
For those thinking of going the upgrade route here are my experiences between using CD and Online methods.

1. They are not the same. Online took me up to 8 hours and CD took 1.5 hours. This is probably expected due to the amount of traffic on the Ubuntu servers right now.

2. Online version worked almost flawlessly on 2 computers other than loading the PAE kernel by default. I could not boot on either unit using PAE so I had to rever to Generic same revision non-PAE.

3. CD upgrade loaded the Generic kernel right away. Not sure why exactly since all 3 computers are close to the same.

4. CD required user name, password, computer name, time zone, etc. Online version did not.

5. Online version retained almost all my packages, settings. CD upgrade torched everything except for my data.

Note: These were both upgrades not reinstall or anything else.

My reccomendation is to go with the online version but maybe wait a few days or a week to upgrade. With the online version I was up and running almost right away. The CD version is indistiguishable from a fresh install in that I had to tweak all my settings just like a new install.