PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can boot into "Ubuntu Classic" but not Unity

KStorm
April 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
At GDM, when I attempt to log into the Ubuntu desktop (the one with Unity), I get nothing more than the GDM background screen and movable mouse pointer--nothing after that. I have to perform an Alt+SysRQ+REISUB to restart the system every time.

Selecting "Ubuntu Classic" poses no problems as of yet. Any solutions?

JDorfler
April 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
What's your video card and do you have the proprietary drivers installed? I've got a Radeon HD 6970 and had to install FGLRX via Synaptic, then go to the terminal and use "sudo aticonfig --initiate -f" then "sudo reboot now". Unity came right up.

KStorm
April 29th, 2011, 11:04 PM
The video is onboard Radeon HD 4200 (512MB) and the proprietary drivers have just been installed. Unity boots up fine for the time being, but the bootsplash resolution has been reduced to something other than 1680x1050 (which I suppose is standard). I also cannot run aticonfig from the terminal because the option 'initiate' is unrecognized.

'aticonfig: unrecognized option '--initiate'
aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.'

Kazuki Mishima
April 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM
What's your video card and do you have the proprietary drivers installed? I've got a Radeon HD 6970 and had to install FGLRX via Synaptic, then go to the terminal and use "sudo aticonfig --initiate -f" then "sudo reboot now". Unity came right up.

JDorfler: I'm having the same problem as the original poster, I have some sort of Radeon card (forget which model exactly) and I tried your solution, but when I tried the "sudo aticonfig --initiate -f" command, all I got was this error:

aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

So I'm not sure where to go from there...

JDorfler
April 30th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Go here (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Maverick_Installation_Guide#Installing_the_ drivers_manually) and replace Maverick with Natty for the instructions.