PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 results in loading of blank screen

TruePurple
April 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My system is
i5 760
asus MoBo
radeon 6850
patriot ram 16GB

When I installed 10.10, i did not install a swap partition, the options in the boot process were limited and I wanted to do it in a certain way. But with 16GB of ram, I was told I would mostly only need virtual memory for hibernation mode. I never did get around to installing that partition. (not sure if this is relevant)

When I was downloading the upgrade to 11.04, it wasn't able to download some files and stopped. Latter I continued the upgrade and it downloaded the files. Then it finished and asked if I wanted to restart, I was talking to someone in IRC, so I choice to not restart then.

Now I turn on my PC the next day, and it loaded to a blank screen with a few little white flashing/flickering dashes at the top of the screen, and that is all. I did not get to see what came before this screen as my monitor wasn't on at the time. I fear restarting my PC in case the upgrade is happening behind this funky blank screen, I don't have my HD light hooked up right on my MoBo so I don't know if it is doing anything. Is it safe for me to restart?

Oh, I found another thread with another person with a similar problem. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742071 Sorry I didn't search properly before posting this, I was kind of feeling rushed to get help.