PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Unity! Hardware not compatible!

pooja
April 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04, I am told that the hardware is not compatible with Unity, therefore the system boots immediately into a normal, compiz-less OS.
I managed to install CompizConfig Settings Manager but after I chose "Wobbly Windows" it still won't show any sings that it's using compiz.
Remember when all we used to do was:

System ▸ Preferences ▸ Appearance ▸ Visual Effects

Well, there's no "Visual Effects" tab. How to move on?
I'd like to understand why I'm not even offered the chance to choose between Unity and Ubuntu Classic.
Also, what happened to all the Visual Effects? How do I enable them?

thanx.

MAFoElffen
April 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04, I am told that the hardware is not compatible with Unity, therefore the system boots immediately into a normal, compiz-less OS.
I managed to install CompizConfig Settings Manager but after I chose "Wobbly Windows" it still won't show any sings that it's using compiz.

I'd like to understand why I'm not even offered the chance to choose between Unity and Ubuntu Classic.

thanx.
At the GDM login screen, after you clck on a user and the password boxx comes up.... > you will notice an item on the bottom bar mid-way across that says what you want to boot into (Unity, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Classic, Kubuntu, Xubuntu... etc, if installed or capable.) Anyways, yes, it checks your hardware (video) and sees if your drivers and hardware can run 3D Unity. Many people during testing had to configure things in Classic, then try it booting into unity.

If after all you try and it still says your video combination can't run it... There is a 2D version of Unity that you can try in the repositories. (Synaptic) You would have to go to synaptic to download and install that.The "Classic," is still there if nothing else.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi!

For classic;

system...admin..login..chose classic..reboot.

KegHead

pooja
April 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM
after you clck on a user and the password boxx comes up.... > you will notice an item on the bottom bar mid-way across that says what you want to boot into

Haven't noticed anything like that. Will try right away. Have enabled Nvidia drivers (recommended versions). Attaching 3 screen-shots of Nvidia drivers and present Desktop.

pooja
April 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hi!

For classic;

system...admin..login..chose classic..reboot.

I really would like to try Unity rather than classic. Want to try new things

MAFoElffen
April 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Haven't noticed anything like that. Will try right away. Have enabled Nvidia drivers (recommended versions). Attaching 3 screen-shots of Nvidia drivers and present Desktop.
What Nvidia "card" are you using? I have various here, which some of my older ones won't run 3D unity (even though those older cards ran 3D successfully in older versions of Ubuntu), but those older ones will still run 2D Unity.

I'm using the same driver that you have highlighted on "this" box here with 2 Geoforce 6800 GTX Ultra's in SLI.

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Can you please post the output of this command.

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

perettigiuliano
April 29th, 2011, 10:02 PM

thanx.

Same here!
I am trying on 2 different hardware: a desktop and a netbook where previously 10.10 was working great!
I am gonna say tha this version is a mess..

If someone has info about please spread all over, many many peoples are damning 11.04

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi!

From what I can gather, Unity is not supporting some video cards.

If I incorrect, please correct me!

KegHead

whitefort
April 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM
If someone has info about please spread all over, many many peoples are damning 11.04

I know. i hate it. I installed it on a computer that was running Compiz with no problems, now I can't even get compiz again, never mind Unity. And on my other PC, not even the live CD would run.

I guess 11.04 is for the 'elite' who happen to have the right graphics cards!

nexus9k
April 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Is it possible to run this script or a similar Unity compatibility check tool *before* upgrading to 11.04 (from 10.10) and exploring Unity?

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Is it possible to run this script or a similar Unity compatibility check tool *before* upgrading to 11.04 (from 10.10) and exploring Unity?
I think you can try an Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD (even the classic GNOME session). Not sure about older releases though.

MAFoElffen
April 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hi!

From what I can gather, Unity is not supporting some video cards.

If I incorrect, please correct me!

KegHead
@KegHead

Yes... We found that out in testing. This sticky should help out for some with the graphics issues:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

But 3D Unity is "requiring" specific hardware requirements. Remember in testing? There was a lot of discussion of "if not, then install 2D Unity..." I have quite a few cards I tested that did compiz and 3D fine in earlier version of U, but will not run 3D Unity. But when we got from beta1 to beta 2.. RC... Release-- some graphics issues that existed before still changed with updates to the current drivers.

I'd expect that these other driver changes and updates are still coming and will carry through with some of the "lower than" hardware... but they're still going to have to draw the line somewhere. In the meanwhile, there's still Unity 2D, Gnome Desktop 3.x and Classic.

pooja
April 29th, 2011, 11:38 PM

This is what I get:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce Go 7400/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06

Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: no
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity supported: no

From what I have gathered so far, we need to do a clean install for this release, then things will work flawlessly, others have tried. Meanwhile I have installed Unity 2d from Synaptic: that's the closest you can get to using Unity on Natty. Totally disappointed with this version of Ubuntu.

If only Compiz worked!

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hi!

I've heard/read this for quite awhile.

Unity seems to be cool if you're machine is up to date with a lot of goodies!

I'm stuck with a dell mini 9, self made atom 330 desktop and two old laptops!

That's the reason for 11.04/classic!

KegHead

sikander3786
April 30th, 2011, 06:18 AM
This is what I get:

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce Go 7400/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06

From what I have gathered so far, we need to do a clean install for this release, then things will work flawlessly, others have tried. Meanwhile I have installed Unity 2d from Synaptic: that's the closest you can get to using Unity on Natty. Totally disappointed with this version of Ubuntu.

If only Compiz worked!
Your graphics card is capable of running Unity but it has been blacklisted due to some problems that other users faced. Still, there is a workaround.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10731067&postcount=2

bluevoter
April 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM
One of my Ubuntu installations is a virtual appliance on my MacBook Pro running VMware Fusion 3. The machine has an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, so I thought that the 3D Unity GUI would come up.

After the standard upgrade came up with GNOME instead of Unity, I ran Synaptic, selected Unity 2D, then downloaded and installed the 2D Unity with the associated libraries. When I restarted my Ubuntu instance, the Unity 2D interface was the default startup choice, and everything came up just fine.

I think that it's just a matter of time before VMware upgrades Fusion or creates a new virtual appliance for Natty. For now, though, the 2D Unity solution is the best alternative

pooja
April 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM
From the link you've given:

Nvidia 7300/7400 go cards had been blacklisted because of problems people had with them. You can override the blacklisting by adding UNITY_FORCE_START=1 to /etc/environment. For more info, see the bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/728745

So I tried this command from Terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/environment

And this is what I get back:

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"

So the question is: where should I type "UNITY_FORCE_START=1" ?

pooja
April 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I've found this link (http://http://askubuntu.com/questions/37629/geforce-go-7300-7400-blacklisted-can-i-still-run-unity) therefore I have changed to nvidia version 173 (see attachment) and will try rebooting. Let's see, keeping fingers crossed.

pooja
April 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Not working!
Through Synaptic I removed the Unity 2D package and then rebooted. When asked what system I'd like to start up, I chose Ubuntu thinking it would show me to Unity 3D but no, it's Ubuntu 11.04 with the 3 menus Applications, Places, System.
Did I do something wrong? Should I have written "UNITY_FORCE_START=1" at the end of "PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games" " instead of the beginning?

Compiz still not working!

horace
April 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Not working!
Should I have written "UNITY_FORCE_START=1" at the end of "PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games" " instead of the beginning?

Just add it on a new line.
hth

pooja
April 30th, 2011, 12:13 PM
OMG! OMG! I got it!
It's awesome!
I just installed Compiz Fusion (the only Compiz package I had not yet installed) then loaded it. A blue cube with an arrow appeared on the top right corner of the desktop. I right-clicked on it and opted for "Reload Window Manager" and then puff! It all fell in the right place. Now I have the three menus AND the sidebar of Unity 3D!
BTW, I used Gedit to save the "/etc/environment" file because "sudo nano /etc/environment" was not saving the edit. I did "sudo gedit /etc/environment", added the new line and saved it, as stated initially.

It works now! Don't know if it will stay on reboot though.

SO to summarize it all:
1. I installed Compiz Window Manager (yesterday)
2. Changed the Nvidia Driver to version 173 (System>Administration> Additional Drivers> Nvidia 173, requires reboot)
3. Through Terminal I gave
sudo gedit /etc/environment and added "UNITY_FORCE_START=1", then saved and closed Gedit. (Today)
4. I installed Compiz Fusion through Ubuntu SW Centre, enabled it and Reloaded the windows manger.
That's it!
Check out my new desktop.
Hope it stays on my next reboot!
Will let you know.

hackie
April 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Installed 11.04 just now. Was disheartened to see the same error. Will try your steps pooja.

Hope it works. Thanks :)

pooja
April 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately on reboot, Compiz Fusion's effects, disappear. Any ways to get it working at start up? Otherwise I have to manually load Compiz Fusion (Applications> System Tools > Compiz Icon) everytime.

hoboy
April 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM
OMG! OMG! I got it!
It's awesome!
I just installed Compiz Fusion (the only Compiz package I had not yet installed) then loaded it. A blue cube with an arrow appeared on the top right corner of the desktop. I right-clicked on it and opted for "Reload Window Manager" and then puff! It all fell in the right place. Now I have the three menus AND the sidebar of Unity 3D!
BTW, I used Gedit to save the "/etc/environment" file because "sudo nano /etc/environment" was not saving the edit. I did "sudo gedit /etc/environment", added the new line and saved it, as stated initially.

SO to summarize it all:
2. Changed the Nvidia Driver to version 173 (System>Administration> Additional Drivers> Nvidia 173, requires reboot)
sudo gedit /etc/environment and added "UNITY_FORCE_START=1", then saved and closed Gedit. (Today)
4. I installed Compiz Fusion through Ubuntu SW Centre, enabled it and Reloaded the windows manger.
That's it!
Will let you know.

Nmmmmmmmmmmm this is not working for me :(

dyetheskin
April 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM
i get this but no go for me.

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30

Not blacklisted: yes

Unity supported: yes

if i login the panels dont load and a drive icon on desktop flashes every now and then which basically is a total freeze

SeaWeedz
May 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
So very strange.... Same error here.

1) The error even pops up looking pretty old-school and ugly.

I don't understand.. at least have that error screen show something informative.. maybe a checklist of what requirements aren't being met. The way it works now feels entirely broken.

I have a hp dv8000, ssd hard drive.. geforce go 7400. Things should be beautiful :( not all glitchy.

2) So when I go to start the install sequence, the Ubuntu boot screen shows up looking beautiful. Then, once it's installed and booting from my hard drive, it's like the fact that I'm using nVidia then starts to cause all of these glitchy oddities.

3) Same with shutdown..it's not even a shutdown screen - its like a console log with some dots being displayed.

4) In the "Additional Drivers" section it states
"Required if you want to run Unity" and
"You need to install this driver if you wish to use the Unity desktop..."

this isn't even accurate

mobabur94
May 8th, 2011, 03:38 AM
i get this but no go for me.

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30

Unity supported: yes

if i login the panels dont load and a drive icon on desktop flashes every now and then which basically is a total freeze

i have the same results as you; i too have a fx5200
i'm experiencing the same stuff too. this sucks :(

calande
May 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hi guys, my Unity bar is black with no icon, has one of you had this problem? Do you know how to solve it? Thanks! :)

sagir42
May 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi friend.
I just failed to install Ubuntu 11.04 with unity. My graphics card is GF 9500GT 550M 1GB DDR2 TV DVI PCI-E. I tried to install nvidia-current and nvidia open source 3d driver. But always I failed. My ubuntu is not opening. Finally I got a red screen and there have nothing to do. Please help me friend. I am waiting for your advise.

shonick
June 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM
~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered: no
GLX texture from pixmap: no

I have NVIDIA on my machine (using it on OS windows 7), why do I see Mesa here when I run this code?

Can I change to NVIDIA and have Unity?

Thanks

shonick
June 28th, 2011, 06:04 AM
OMG! OMG! I got it!
It's awesome!

SO to summarize it all:
That's it!
Will let you know.

How do you keep the top bar on your screen,

Which program do you use to have the bar at the bottom?
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190499&d=1304161876

Fajer
July 31st, 2011, 09:45 PM
after: /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered: no
GLX texture from pixmap: no