PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 partial install, error messages not for novice

cigtoxdoc
April 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:

E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

This can be caused by:

* Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu

* Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu

* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.

I wanted to attach the log files; YOUR FORUM RULES WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO AS IT SAID FILES TOO LONG!

John

mörgæs
April 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/03/unresolvable-problem-occurred-while.html

johann_p
April 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Same problem here, absolutely the same error message but the proposed solution from the blog does not fix the problem.

johann_p
April 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
It is a bad idea to recommend the removal of any concrete packages because the packages which are responsible for this error can be different for each user and machine. Unfortunately, the update manager does not report those packages.
It is better to look into /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log for the package that really causes the problem and remove that, if at all possible.

I think it is a bug that the update manager error message does not display the package name(s) that were causing the problem in the first place.