PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't run Unity

lapalorky
April 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I just upgraded to 11.04 and I can't run Unity. The following error shows, but I don't know what to do about it:

compiz (unityshell) - Error: GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object not supported

compiz (core) - Error: InitPlugin 'unityshell' failed
compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't activate plugin 'unityshell'Please advice me.

leeman101
April 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Can you boot into recovery mode > failsafe graphics (low graphics)??
If so, do that, and then go to system settings > additional drivers > and check for proprietary graphics driver update. Make sure you are connected to the internet, of course. This worked for me when I was unable to get unity funning, however I had a different error happening. Good Luck.

lapalorky
April 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you for your answer. But unfortunately this didn't help. There is nothing in this list. I have run compiz without problems for a long time, I have a ATI radeon graphics card.

leeman101
May 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Bummer :(
My graphics card is ATI as well.... Mobile Radeon HD 3200. I had problems, and i fixed it by doing what i mentioned above.
I guess your situation is different.
are you able to boot into recovery mode at all? do you get a grub menu?

lapalorky
May 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
It works now. I did the this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:%20%20Need% 20to%20fully%20remove%20-fglrx%20and%20reinstall%20-ati%20from%20scratch):

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgAnd then logged in to a newly created user-account. There it works just fine. To bad I have to move a lot of stuff from my old user-account though.

Le Gluon du Net
October 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM
lapalorky: your solution works for my friend wich have an ati video card, thank you very much.

LGDN.