PDA

View Full Version : Minimal iso wiki page edits

user1397
April 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

EDIT: Ok I edited it I think it looks far better now, although any suggestions for improvement are still welcome.

What do you guys think, should all of the links pointing to unsupported versions be commented out or just plain deleted?

Or should we just put until when they are supported next to each entry?

I just added the natty narwhal entries, and I thought the page could use some more editing.

I'm willing to do this, I just need some feedback.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'd vote to remove all except 10.04 LTS, 10.10, and 11.04.

user1397
April 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ok I edited it I think it looks far better now, although any suggestions for improvement are still welcome (btw I'm surprised at how easy it is to edit the wiki...it really isn't that hard, you just have to make a quick launchpad account)

Artemis3
April 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM
The previous LTS (8.04) is still supported and should remain there until 2013...

user1397
April 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
The previous LTS (8.04) is still supported and should remain there until 2013...Hmm but isn't just the server edition supported till 2013? i know the desktop edition is available till this may though, but i thought i might as well remove it as there is already an LTS version (lucid)

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
The previous LTS (8.04) is still supported and should remain there until 2013...

does the ubuntu wiki use the wikipedia:consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Consensus) model, or the open source bdfl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_Dictator_For_Life) model or some other committee system? O.o

Artemis3
April 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hmm Ubuntu minimal allows you to install both servers and desktops. Now that i checked, even the LTS 6.06 support ends in June this year ;)

Anyway according to the schedule: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I think the correct thing is to stick to the server end of life; before removing the link. You might use an asterisk or something.

Lucradia
April 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Or make a new Server LTS Section.

wojox
April 30th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Change it to "x86_64"

People with Intel 64 get all confused when they see AMD.

Lucradia
April 30th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Change it to "x86_64"

People with Intel 64 get all confused when they see AMD.

ISOs say amd64 usually on Debian isos.

grahammechanical
April 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I have just started to read it and I stumbled over the first sentence and had to read it again. Can I make a suggestion? Please change

The Minimal CD downloads packages from online archives at installation timeto

The Minimal CD will download packages from online archives at installation timeI am not saying that you are incorrect. Now that I know what you mean I can see what you are saying. I did not get the message the first time of reading

Regards.

P.S. Oh. I better stop reading. I have just noticed that you left out "is" from "After the base system installed." Sorry. I hate it when I print a document and then notice all the mistakes I failed to see when proof-reading.

user1397
April 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have just started to read it and I stumbled over the first sentence and had to read it again. Can I make a suggestion? Please change

to

I am not saying that you are incorrect. Now that I know what you mean I can see what you are saying. I did not get the message the first time of reading

Regards.

P.S. Oh. I better stop reading. I have just noticed that you left out "is" from "After the base system installed." Sorry. I hate it when I print a document and then notice all the mistakes I failed to see when proof-reading.
I've actually only modified the actual entries themselves, not the beginning paragraphs but I guess I might as well since no one else seems to be hehe. I'm not the original author of this page by any means just fyi.

user1397
April 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Change it to "x86_64"

People with Intel 64 get all confused when they see AMD.Yea the only reason I'm debating that is because the ubuntu devs made all the x86_64 iso's called "amd64" which I too find misleading...I don;t know maybe I should make a poll about that....hmm

user1397
April 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hmm Ubuntu minimal allows you to install both servers and desktops. Now that i checked, even the LTS 6.06 support ends in June this year ;)

Anyway according to the schedule: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I think the correct thing is to stick to the server end of life; before removing the link. You might use an asterisk or something.
Yes I think I'll do that. I'll keep dapper, hardy, and lucid->onwards for as many architectures as I can find.

user1397
April 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ok I added the hardy and dapper entries for all architectures, fixed some bad wording in at the top, and changed (amd64) to (amd64, x86_64) as a good compromise :)

wojox
May 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM
Yea the only reason I'm debating that is because the ubuntu devs made all the x86_64 iso's called "amd64" which I too find misleading...I don;t know maybe I should make a poll about that....hmm

Maybe just make a reference to amd64 working on all 64 bit PC based systems. Good job on stepping up to edit the wiki's. :popcorn: