PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have just erased my filesystem?

marcelluspye
April 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
So I recently decided to upgrade from 10.04 to 11.04 on my Dell Mini 10v, and in doing such upgraded my OS to 10.10 and then to 11.04. I had already done the 10.10 upgrade, and was ready to continue at around 2am, when I fell asleep after starting the upgrade, with my netbook overheating next to me in my bed. (though plugged in).
When I woke up, I realized I had left it to burn itself to death, noticed that it was now off (not as I had left it) and moved it and left it alone. Around a half hour ago, I tried booting it up again, and it told me (after I selected which kernel I would like to use) that it could not find "/". I have a hard time believing that upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04 completely wipes my hd, considering all my files carried over from 10.04 to 10.10, and I really don't know how to fix it. I've run it in recovery mode, through multiple kernels, and I have 0 idea of how to make it do anything but open a 'maintenance terminal' (as I believe it was called). I haven't backed up my files for some time and I'd rather not part with them, is there any way I could recover said files?