PDA

View Full Version : Disrespectful slang

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Stop with it. It's annoying, unprofessional and makes you look childish.

I don't care if you hate Microsoft with a passion, at least show some respect by not spewing out bandwagon slangs (which by the way is against the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) here on the forum).

I don't see Windows users bashing Ubuntu/Linux with slangs on the 7 forums. Hell they are even promoting Ubuntu 11.04 there:

http://www.sevenforums.com/chillout-room/154286-ubuntu-11-04-released.html

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
✔ approved

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I don't see Windows users bashing Ubuntu/Linux with slangs on the 7 forums. Hell they are even promoting Ubuntu 11.04 there:

They're paid by Canonical obviously.

fuduntu
April 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
They're paid by Canonical obviously.

Paid ¢ $hills!

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Disrespectful != L33t ?

doas777
April 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I agree with all of you, which is why I only bash MS for things I can link to, and then only for their actual sins.

that said however, Community is formed on commonalities, and the single most widespread commonality amongst those that come new to the desktop linux community, is a dislike of MS.

thus I think your emphasis on wiping out MS bashing is more harmful to the community than it is helpful. Please stop being disrespectful to every poster you see that uses "M$" or whatever, and if you feel that you are more mature/respectful than the poster, prove it by keeping your opinion to yourself. I am very tired of seeing excited new members of the forums driven off by Linsux trolling. Newbs learn, given time and patience, but bashing them over the head about it is far more mean/disrespectful/counterproductive than bashing MS.

Sand & Mercury
April 29th, 2011, 05:56 PM
the single most widespread commonality amongst those that come new to the desktop linux community, is a dislike of MS.
Damn, and here I thought people just used desktop Linux because it's actually good! How silly of me.

aguafina
April 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I don't it's too bad for Windows bashing here.
;)
But the real hate seems to be for Apple Mac, iPhone and products in general.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM
You cannot disrespect a company or a product. They are not people so the rule is absurd. Respect is only for people. Now U.S. law treats corporations as people, but there is no reason why that should have anything to do with the forum.

There is also no reason why the Ubuntu forum has to be "professional", especially in the cafe.

fuduntu
April 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Please stop being disrespectful to every poster you see that uses "M$" or whatever, and if you feel that you are more mature/respectful than the poster, prove it by keeping your opinion to yourself. I am very tired of seeing excited new members of the forums driven off by Linsux trolling. Newbs learn, given time and patience, but bashing them over the head about it is far more mean/disrespectful/counterproductive than bashing MS.

Using "M$" is disrespectful to others, I can understand why it wouldn't be allowed. It isn't any "Linsux trolling" (ahem your comment that it is is a violation of the CoC itself is it not?).

Respect is earned by those that show respect to others. Don't expect to be respected if you don't. :)

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM
You cannot disrespect a company or a product. They are not people so the rule is absurd. Respect is only for people. Now U.S. law treats corporations as people, but there is no reason why that should have anything to do with the forum.

Corporations consist of people and products are used, made and designed by people.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Corporations consist of people and products are used, made and designed by people.

But they are not people. You are made of atoms, so does insulting the atoms mean insulting you? Should atoms have human rights?

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
But they are not people. You are made of atoms, so does insulting the atoms mean insulting you? Should atoms have human rights?

Let me know when someone insults atoms.

Also, your analogy is backwards, since the human would be the corporation and the atoms would be the people that make it up. Doesn't make sense the other way around.

Legendary_Bibo
April 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Damn, and here I thought people just used desktop Linux because it's actually good! How silly of me.

Oh how naive of you. You must be oh so young.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Let me know when someone insults atoms.

Also, your analogy is backwards. Since the human would be the corporation and the atoms would be the people that make it up. Doesn't make sense the other way around.

Corporations aren't people, they are machines designed to and required to maximize profit, by law no less. They are not sentimental, they are not moral agents. What entitles them to respect like persons? That is completely absurd.

BTW, there is no disrespect to words like M$. It is exactly what it is, the company exists for only one reason, to make money and it is mandated by law to maximize profit for shareholders, as noted, so it is describing reality, if reality is crass, that is too bad. People who don't like that should try to change reality instead of chastising others for not using euphemisms.

Legendary_Bibo
April 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Corporations aren't people, they are machines designed to and required to maximized profit, by law no less. They are not sentimental, they are not moral agents. What entitled them to respect like persons, that is completely absurd.

BTW, there is no disrespect to words like M$. It is exactly what it is, the company exists for only one reason, to make money and it is mandated by law to maximize profit, as noted, so it is describing reality, if reality is crass, that is too bad. People who don't like that should try to change reality instead of chastising others for not using euphemisms.

Corporations are a group embodiment of people who are out to make money. They are people, and there's nothing wrong with trying to make more money.

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM

I agree with what you're saying about the derogatory names, but you're wrong about this.

A lot of Linux supporters infiltrate Windows forums to try to evangelize Linux. There is plenty of Linux bashing going on out there.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Corporations are a group embodiment of people who are out to make money. They are people, and there's nothing wrong with trying to make more money.

Embodiment(?) of people is not people. You are an aggregate of atoms but an atom is not you. And this embdiment of people exists not to promote human values like friendship or fraternity, it exists for one reason only, there is no ambiguity, no complexity, the reason is to maximize profit for shareholders (BY LAW). So it doesn't have the attribute of people, and doesn't entitle to the same considerations, it is a machine.

I never say there is anything wrong with trying to make money, that depends on the context. But then why is there anything wrong is saying m$ while that is exactly what it is set up to do, wrong or not wrong. MS is not boy scouts, it doesn't exist to promote friendship or fraternity.

fuduntu
April 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Embodiment(?) of people is not people. You are an aggregate of atoms but an atom is not you. And this embdiment of people exists not to promote human values like friendship or fraternity, it exists for one reason only, there is no ambiguity, no complexity, the reason is to maximize profit for shareholders (BY LAW). So it doesn't have the attribute of people, and doesn't entitle to the same considerations, it is a machine.

I never say there is anything wrong with trying to make money, that depends on the context. But then why is there anything wrong is saying m$ while that is exactly what it is set up to do, wrong or not wrong. MS is not boy scouts, it doesn't exist to promote friendship or fraternity.

If you believe that it is OK to call Microsoft M$, because they are a company and it is their purpose to receive income, then it must logically be OK to call you a communist troll because you are obviously against earning money, and you have no respect for others.

In that regard, you obviously don't have a job because you are against profit so I suppose it would also be fair to assume you are a welfare case which would make you a welfare leaching communist troll.

Is that a fair assessment?

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
10 bucks says beew gets angry when people bash Canonical and/or Ubuntu.

CharlesA
April 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thread closed. Remember to follow the CoC (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) when replying - if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.