PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Error from flash drive 11.04

ScottG89
April 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I downloaded 11.04 last night and installed it onto a flash drive, but after I restart the computer and select the USB to boot first, it comes up with a boot error. I tried this on another computer to see if the iso didn't install right but it works completely fine. I don't know what else to do. I tried reinstalling the iso and redownloading also just for the hell of it.

ajgreeny
April 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
What is the boot error you get?

Without knowing that, you are not going to get much help here.

It's a bit like telling your garage that your car is not going, and expecting them to tell you why not before they've even seen it.

ScottG89
April 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM
All it says it boot error on a black screen, nothing else at all

jiapei100
May 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Hi, ScottG: I've got exactly the same problem as yours.

I'm using a USB 2.0 interface, but my USD flash drive is USB 3.0 compatible? Is it a problem from Ubuntu 11.04? Or from USB itself?

Rgds
Pei

I downloaded 11.04 last night and installed it onto a flash drive, but after I restart the computer and select the USB to boot first, it comes up with a boot error. I tried this on another computer to see if the iso didn't install right but it works completely fine. I don't know what else to do. I tried reinstalling the iso and redownloading also just for the hell of it.

jiapei100
May 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Is it possible that it has something to do with the file format? 'cause I format the flash drive to EXT4, maybe to use the flash drive as a bootable drive, I need it to be formated into FAT ??

A bit weird and unclear. Can anybody give me a hand?

Thanks...

Best Regards
Pei

Hi, ScottG: I've got exactly the same problem as yours.

I'm using a USB 2.0 interface, but my USD flash drive is USB 3.0 compatible? Is it a problem from Ubuntu 11.04? Or from USB itself?

Rgds
Pei

t.h.w.
August 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Same here...

Works fine with 9.10, but not with 10.10 and 11.04...

(I use the USB Startup Disk Creator in 9.10)

Found possible solution:
type 'live'

See also:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60133&p=343962

ottosykora
August 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
@scottg89

installed on flash drive... well you might tell what exactly did you do, where did you install the grub bootloader.

The usb stick has to be bootable first , still many are not when you buy them, they just have fat32 partition with no mbr on it.
Sometimes I have to use the HP usb formating tool to have at least some mbr space on the stick for potential installer then.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

So when you did format it, was it done with the ubuntu instaler? And did you select the right drive to install the grub?