PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ubuntu

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I've changed edeited this because it was OTT:

I had auto-login enabled and after I did the upgrade I couldnt get anything to start or log out to select classic mode:

My issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ28EBObJjE

Spice Weasel
April 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
We should have a mega thread just for these threads.

aguafina
April 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
We should have a mega thread just for these threads.

+1

Fairwell Johnsie

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It has been a fun ride using Ubuntu over the last 6 years but I feel that it is now time to move on. I hope all the best for all the people in the Ubuntu community and that the Ubuntu project continues to be successful. Thanks for a wonderful time while it lasted. I will be using Windows 7 and Fedora in the short term future.

Best Wishes,

Johnsie.

Is this because of Unity?

aguafina
April 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Is this because of Unity?

You have to read between the lines.

el_koraco
April 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Jeez, it's not like you have to delete your account when you switch distros.

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Released Incrementing Popularity ?

Thank you!, you are welcome! :)

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Join date 2005?

In the short term he'll try installing Fedora, get frustrated at the differences between Ubuntu and Fedora, and come back. I'm sure of it. Heck, I'd probably do the same thing - miss my Apt and my Unity.

Naiki Muliaina
April 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM
*yaaaaawn* ):P

fuduntu
April 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Would it be called Unity fail megathread?

I kid, I kid

):P

aaaantoine
April 29th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Running in Panic (from) Ubuntu is more like it.

The thread title implies death. However, it seems to be running quite fine and (mostly) to my liking on my PC. ;)

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Running in Panic (from) Ubuntu is more like it.

The thread title implies death. However, it seems to be running quite fine and (mostly) to my liking on my PC. ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743043

Is more like it.

MBybee
April 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The way to handle Unity hatred is not to go to Fedora (good grief), but to either move to Classic, or just move to Debian. Why ragequit Ubuntu over a bad design choice?

I hate Unity as much as the next guy, but I just simply don't use it :)

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think I mentioned unity on my original post. Actually, the upgrade borked my installation. Flashing icons on the desktop and no visible user interface. Probably a graphics driver issue, but I was trying fedora the other day and really liked their new interface. Now is a good time to change since my computer is effectively bricked anyway :-)

fuduntu
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM
The way to handle Unity hatred is not to go to Fedora (good grief), but to either move to Classic, or just move to Debian. Why ragequit Ubuntu over a bad design choice?

I hate Unity as much as the next guy, but I just simply don't use it :)

There isn't anything wrong with Fedora. Alternately though, come to Fuduntu. :)

jwm93k
April 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM
In the default install of 11.04 is with Unity. Previously I could show a MS user in a few minutes how to use Ubuntu. Now with Unity I spent hours myself trying to get it to work correctly. The default install has now become something that I can not recommend any more to a new user. It is so bad I would not wish this pain on them. What where they thinking?

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
In the default install of 11.04 is with Unity. Previously I could show a M$ user in a few minutes how to use Ubuntu. Now with Unity I spent hours myself trying to get it to work correctly. The default install has now become something that I can not recommend any more to a new user. It is so bad I would not wish this pain on them. What where they thinking?

MS bribed Cananonical to make a crappy shell, thus driving users back to MS.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
In the default install of 11.04 is with Unity. Previously I could show a M$ user in a few minutes how to use Ubuntu. Now with Unity I spent hours myself trying to get it to work correctly. The default install has now become something that I can not recommend any more to a new user. It is so bad I would not wish this pain on them. What where they thinking?

That is what I have been saying. Canonical intends Unity for "the new users" at the expense of the "old users" without taking into account that it is through the "old users" that most new users learn about Ubuntu and have it installed and customized for them to begin with (I am especially thinking about the kind of "lowest denominator new users" that canonical seems want to attract). So the new users will not come if the old users feel frustrated.

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I posted a video of the issue I had here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ28EBObJjE

There is no visible UI and the computer was set to auto-login so I can't easily change to classic mode. I not going to pretend I like Unity, but please guys, find your own thread to discuss/bash that.

I've got a support request on the support forums too and submitted the bug report.

beew
@OP

Fedora I can respect even though I don't find it as smooth as Ubuntu, not by a long shot (I install it to learn doing things the hard way. :)) But Windows 7? That is low. :)

Quake
People can still switch to the classic interface (Gnome) which is a good thing.

But in my opinion, 11.04 will be Canonical's ME or Vista's release. Implementing new interface takes times and since it's new codes, it will take time to clean up the bugs.
In my opinion, Canonical should've taken at least a year developing it.

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
@OP

Fedora I can respected even though I don't find it as smooth as Ubuntu, not by a long shot (I install it to learn doing things the hard way. :)) But Windows 7? That is low. :)

Hey now, Windows 7 is awesome.

TeoBigusGeekus
April 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
OMG, I can't believe how anyone could not LOVE unity!!!!!!
It's so awesome, LOLMAX!!!
You are soooo yesterday, I bet noone talks to you at parties!!!
Leave your mother's basement and embrace unity, the future of computing.

PS: DINOSAURS!!!

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM
People can still switch to the classic interface (Gnome) which is a good thing.

But in my opinion, 11.04 will be Canonical's ME or Vista's release. Implementing new interface takes times and since it's new codes, it will take time to clean up the bugs.
In my opinion, Canonical should've taken at least a year developing it.

The Classsical Desktop is not going to be around for 11.10 and it is really not necessary because it is not necessary to upgrade to 11.04 at this point, I am sticking with 10.10, it is perfect.

On the other hand, I don't think Unity is bad enough to drive me to another distro (certainly not *******, sorry I mean Windows, respect. LOL)

There are a few things that get on my nerve (mostly related to the global menu and lack of customization) But none of these are deal breaker for me and I expect things to get a lot better in 11.10 and there will probably be third party work arounds and hacks by then so I am not overly concerned at this point.

But I think Canonical should take user feed back seriously instead of simply dismissing them as being afraid of change and refuse feature requests based on some half baked design philosophy. I find the attitude of Mark Shuttleworth a real turn off, it is like, we know what you should want, if you don't want it there is something wrong with you.Like on one lauchpad page he was arguing with these people why they shouldn't want a minimizing function on the Unity bar icons. Hello??? It is one thing to say it is a low priority because there are more pressing things, but quite another to say you shouldn't want it because based on our theory you shouldn't need it.

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM
How do you get to classic desktop if your computer is set to auto-login and you cannot access the GUI?

My problem for those who missed it:

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
How do you get to classic desktop if your computer is set to auto-login?

Logout, select Ubuntu Classic from console panel, log back in.

scorp123
April 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
It has been a fun ride using Ubuntu over the last 6 years but I feel that it is now time to move on. Same feeling here. ](*,)

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I love all these threads where people whine about the impending death of Gnome 2...especially when they make ridiculous statements like "I'm moving to Fedora." Uh, something tells me the thread starter isn't going to be thrilled there either once he tries out Gnome Shell.

It's like those crazy people that are still holding on to KDE 3. Move on already!

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
How do you get to classic desktop if your computer is set to auto-login and you cannot access the GUI?

Yes, you can do it. Open the dash (application button on dock ) and search for "login screen" and change it from there, you can change it so that you login to the classic desktop automatically in the future so you don't need to be reminded of Unity at all, for 11.04 anyway. :)

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Yes, you can do it. Open the dash (application button on dock ) and search for "login screen" and change it from there.

I have no GUI. Please see the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ28EBObJjE

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Logout, select Ubuntu Classic from console panel, log back in.

^ This.

Alternate solutions include:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install openbox
sudo apt-get install fluxbox
sudo apt-get install ... well, I think you get the idea.

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install openbox
sudo apt-get install fluxbox
sudo apt-get install ... well, I think you get the idea.

Thanks, I will try that. Having alt-ctrl-backspace would've been helpful.

nothingspecial
April 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM
@johnsie

Why not create another admin user from tty1, then restart gdm, select classic desktop, then turn autologin off in your main account from this other account.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have no GUI. Please see the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ28EBObJjE

That is strange, how did you lose your Desktop?

uRock
April 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Please stay on topic.

Thank you for your cooperation,
uRock

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Nvidia grpahics driver issue I assume.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Nvidia grpahics driver issue I assume.

If that is the case creating a new user would not help, I don't think..

nothingspecial
If you can log in to classic with a new user do that, if you can't, log into networking recovery mode and type
jockey-text -l

If it throws up a driver type
jockey-text -e <driver>

You will need a wired connection for this.

BrokenKingpin
There isn't anything wrong with Fedora.
I used Fedora from Core 1 to Core 4, but after that I found they just don't put the effort in for end user usability. Seems more of a distro for just developing and testing new technology (which I suppose it is for Red Hat). I have tried a few releases of Fedora over the last couple years, but I just can't stand it. If you are going to go with an RPM distro, SUSE is the way to go.

retchid
April 29th, 2011, 05:35 PM
noiticed you had boxee

when you do get it working the constant looping happens in Boxee so it is now unusable.

Happy days!

nothingspecial
April 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
If that is the case creating a new user would not help, I don't think..

Not necessarily. Unity requires compiz. Classic gnome does not. Some nvidia cards require restricted drivers to run compiz, so if you set auto login you're in trouble.

scorp123
April 29th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Gnome Shell. Nope, that one is horrible too! ](*,)

I'd use Kubuntu .... but the installer of Kubuntu 11.04 seems to be broken: whenever I try to manually partition my disks (because there are data partitions in the system which should be mounted but not be formatted!) it crashes #-o

So much for quality control here. [-(

Let's see how Linux Mint and OpenSUSE have been doing ....

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Not necessarily. Unity requires compiz. Classic gnome does not. Some nvidia cards require restricted drivers to run compiz, so if you set auto login you're in trouble.

Nouveu should run Compiz for most Nvidia cards (I haven't installed the Nvidia proprietary driver on my Natty test install but it runs Unity 3D on Nvidia just fine)

But now I think about it OP says Fedora runs so it couldn't be the Nvidia driver.

nothingspecial
April 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Nouveu should run Compiz for most Nvidia cards (I haven't installed the Nvidia proprietary driver on my Natty test install but it runs Unity 3D on Nvidia just fine)

I had to use jockey

el_koraco
April 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Johnsie, drop to a root shell at Grub. Do:

sudo nano /etc/gdm/custom.conf

You'll see something like:

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=johnsie
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=johnsie
TimedLoginDelay=10

The first one is the one that you want to change. From "AutomaticLoginEnable=true", to "AutomaticLoginEnable=false".

Hit CTRL + O to save and CRTL + X to exit.

sudo shutdown -r now

You'll get to the login window. Let's hope you can get to the classic dekstop that way.

MBybee
April 29th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I love all these threads where people whine about the impending death of Gnome 2...especially when they make ridiculous statements like "I'm moving to Fedora." Uh, something tells me the thread starter isn't going to be thrilled there either once he tries out Gnome Shell.

It's like those crazy people that are still holding on to KDE 3. Move on already!

Hey now, I didn't stop using WindowMaker until like... last year. That's when I finally decided to try Gnome for the umpteenth time, and actually sort of liked it. Used it here and there, but never really cared for Gnome since the Ximian era. KDE 3 was ok, KDE 4 is a bloated mess.

It's *linux*. People often go to it to *keep* from moving on! You should have seen how much I complained about the Xorg switch :D

Untitled_No4
April 29th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I will try that. Having alt-ctrl-backspace would've been helpful.

Isn't it now Alt + PrtScr + K? At least it works for me on Kubuntu when I'm on a keyboard with a PrtScr key.

MBybee
April 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You might have to re-enable (http://blog.mypapit.net/2010/05/ctrl-alt-bkspace-isnt-working-how-to-restart-x-on-ubuntu-karmic-and-lucid.html) it