PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Update Manager Error on startup

Jaymus
April 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have been trying to use the ubuntu update managerto install java on my computer, but every time i try to start the update manager, i get these errors all in a row:

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

E: Malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: Unable to lock the list directory

E: Malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

My internet connection is obviously stable or I wouldn't have been able to post this. I can only tell from the error message is that is failing to retrieve the package list. Do i need to launch with superuser permissions somehow?

kukker32
April 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM
you use update manager to install java ? you sure you don't mean synaptics packets managger ? or ubuntu software center ??

you could maybe download java from java.com and install it manually??

also what is the user permissions of

/etc/apt/sources.list ?

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
as numerous ubuntu afficionados are installing/upgrading thier system(s), the servers are too busy right now, so better to wait a few days

Jaymus
April 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Also getting this after reboot:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' message and include the following error message:
malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Also getting this after reboot:

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' message and include the following error message:
malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

output of:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Jaymus
April 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Have tried manual installation from java.com.... it doesn't work, and have tried running installation through command prompt, but at the end it attempts to openthe update manager to complete installation, which fails.

Jaymus
April 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have discovered the problem. It seems that one source added in there had a typo when i added it, and was at the specified line 61. Ill delete the source and try again...

Jaymus
April 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I have it running now. I didnt know where to look thank you for the help.

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 02:43 PM
then set this thread as "SOLVED" using the thread tools on top thread