PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 upgrade from 10.10 UNR problems

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I upgraded from 10.10 UNR on my HP Mini 110 last night through the Update Manager and when I finished the update and rebooted, my system is in tact but I have no left launcher panel and can't really do anything. I can't launch applications (again, launcher panel is missing), I can't run another update (no way to open Terminal or anything else).

Has anyone else run into this? I don't want to run a fresh install and wipe out my system, but have no idea how to recover from this.

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Can you right click your desktop? If yes, give ccsm a shot.

Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 at the desktop and login to tty1 using your credentials. Now type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Once complete, press Ctrl + Alt + F7.

Right click your desktop and select 'Create Launcher...' and type 'Compiz' in name field and for command,

/usr/bin/ccsm

Double click to launch ccsm and make sure 'Ubuntu Unity Plugin' is enabled.

mikewhatever
April 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Try pressing Ctrl+alt+f1, that should drop you to the console login prompt, login, then type -

sudo service gdm restart

That should bring you back to the login screen. Select the fail safe option under session.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks, but no luck on either of these suggestions. Compiz shows me the Unity plugin is enabled. "sudo serive gdm restart" shows me command not found.

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Try pressing Ctrl+alt+f1, that should drop you to the console login prompt, login, then type -

sudo serive gdm restart

That should bring you back to the login screen. Select the fail safe option under session.
I tried that fix with some users this morning and the result is that restarting gdm takes you straight to your desktop instead of showing the GDM Login Screen. Tested on my own PC with Natty, same...

Creating a launcher for 'gdmsetup' would be better?

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks, but no luck on either of these suggestions. Compiz shows me the Unity plugin is enabled. "sudo serive gdm restart" shows me command not found.
There was a typo.

sudo service gdm restart

Or Create a launcher with the command.

gdmsetup

Double click it, unlock and change the default session to 'Ubuntu Classic' then restart gdm or restart PC.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I tried that fix with some users this morning and the result is that restarting gdm takes you straight to your desktop instead of showing the GDM Login Screen. Tested on my own PC with Natty, same...

Creating a launcher for 'gdmsetup' would be better?

Got back in using the gdmsetup and safe mode. Now I don't have Unity plugin enabled in ccsm. What to do next to fix this install to use 11.04 Unity?

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
try into a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -phigh -a (dont stop it before it ended)

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Don't enable the Unity Plugin in Safe Mode.

Look for any available graphics drivers under System > Administration > Additional Drivers or post the output of this command.

lspci | grep VGA

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM
@dino99 - no internet connection in safe mode. Then again, not sure if I ever had it after the upgrade...

@sikander3786 - I get (from cmd line) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

I get rt3090sta "This driver is activated but not currently in use" from System > Admin > Addt Drivers

Not sure what all this means. What next?

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Remove the graphics driver. Remove the old /etc/x11/xorg.conf file by

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Reboot, reinstall the graphics drivers. Reboot once more and try to login Unity.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Remove the graphics driver. Remove the old /etc/x11/xorg.conf file by

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Reboot, reinstall the graphics drivers. Reboot once more and try to login Unity.

I don't have xorg.conf in /etc/X11. I have:

app-defaults
cursors
default-display-manager
fonts
rgb.txt
X
xinit
xkb
Xreset
Xreset.d
Xresources
Xsession
Xsession.d
Xsession.options
Xwrapper.config

and I'm not sure if I was able to mv the file (if I had it) that I would know how to "reinstall the graphics drivers"

fubuloubu
April 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hey, having a similar problem. (being unable to start with the taskbar and such)

I think the problems might stem from keepnig the old compiz settings file. It asked me if I wanted to use my current settings file and I said yes. I then noticed some minute video driver install issues during setup.

also, probably unrelated, but it was also unable to the upgrade to virtualbox correctly. shrug.

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Leave out the xorg.conf file and just remove your graphics driver from System > Administration > Additional Drivers. Reboot and reinstall the driver. Reboot once more.

fubuloubu
April 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Can you right click your desktop? If yes, give ccsm a shot.

Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 at the desktop and login to tty1 using your credentials. Now type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Once complete, press Ctrl + Alt + F7.

Right click your desktop and select 'Create Launcher...' and type 'Compiz' in name field and for command,

/usr/bin/ccsm

Double click to launch ccsm and make sure 'Ubuntu Unity Plugin' is enabled.

Gave this a shot. Unity plugin was not enabled. When enabling, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite several keyboard shortcuts I had enabled. All of them had three options: 1. "Install new shortcut anyway", 2. "Don't install new shortcut", 3. "Remove old shortcut"

I answered 3. to the first 2, and 1. to the last one.

That all set, I restarted the gdm service as someone suggested. Logged in. No change. Alt+Crtl+F1 to try viewing something else, Alt+Crtl+F7 to try gonig back to graphics... system crash of some sort. Manually shut off computer by holding power button, restarted.... still no toolbars.

fubuloubu
April 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Leave out the xorg.conf file and just remove your graphics driver from System > Administration > Additional Drivers. Reboot and reinstall the driver. Reboot once more.

... How do I get to the system menu manually or from the command line? Kind of the whole reason I'm having this problem, haha.

edit. sorry, message wasnt for me haha. Think the same might apply to justerson though.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Followed these steps and still no change. Going back to "Additional Drivers" screen, the same driver is still listed as activated but not in use.

Is this an issue with going from UNR 10.10 using Unity to 11.04 Unity? Everything was fine prior to upgrade and system seems in tact, but it's just the launcher panel that is the problem (me thinks Unity...). Safe mode is just fine (sans wifi and sudo access though). Am I better off just installing a fresh 11.04 and calling it a loss? Or am I going to have the same issues from there?

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM
You can always test the new distro from a Live CD/USB. I think you'll be fine with a fresh install.

fubuloubu
April 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Followed these steps and still no change. Going back to "Additional Drivers" screen, the same driver is still listed as activated but not in use.

Is this an issue with going from UNR 10.10 using Unity to 11.04 Unity? Everything was fine prior to upgrade and system seems in tact, but it's just the launcher panel that is the problem (me thinks Unity...). Safe mode is just fine (sans wifi and sudo access though). Am I better off just installing a fresh 11.04 and calling it a loss? Or am I going to have the same issues from there?

Was able to boot into enviroment with toolbar in safe mode. also in classic mode. I can deal with classic mode for now, haha.

any ideas why the new unity interface wont work?

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
You can always test the new distro from a Live CD/USB. I think you'll be fine with a fresh install.

I've been downloading as I've been posting. Will try it from a USB drive.

I tried disabling/enabling Unity plugin and I get conflicts with Desktop Wall plugins. Disabling those conflicting plugins doesn't seem to do any good though.

*sigh*

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Was able to boot into enviroment with toolbar in safe mode. also in classic mode. I can deal with classic mode for now, haha.

any ideas why the new unity interface wont work?

I've been able to boot in Safe Mode as well with no issues (except no wifi and sudo access). This doesn't do me much good.

Also, one of the main reasons for me to upgrade from 10.10 was to get a more stable version of Unity. Obviously this didn't happen...

fubuloubu
April 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM

In the same section you picked "Safe mode" from, pick "Ubuntu classic" instead.

This will at least allow you to open up with a toolbar and everything back to normal.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 03:16 PM
In the same section you picked "Safe mode" from, pick "Ubuntu classic" instead.

This will at least allow you to open up with a toolbar and everything back to normal.

Still no wifi.

And this is not the 10.10 UNR Unity I started with. With the Netbook version of Ubuntu going away, I believe the UNR Unity and the 11.04 Unity have some conflicts (at least for me).

Trying a fresh install from USB drive as suggested earlier. Will report if that solves my issues and this really was a UNR vs 11.04 conflict.

justerson
April 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Works great from USB drive. The 11.04 upgrade even solve my issue of no external sound that I was missing since my initial 10.04 install.

My previous issues must be some conflict with previous install of 10.10 UNR. Guess I'll bite the bullet and start from scratch.

girto
April 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I hit the same issue upgrading from 10.10 UNR to 11.04. Rebooted in recovery mode, changed login from Ubuntu Netbook Remix to Ubuntu, and 11.04 Unity runs as it is supposed to.

justerson
April 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I hit the same issue upgrading from 10.10 UNR to 11.04. Rebooted in recovery mode, changed login from Ubuntu Netbook Remix to Ubuntu, and 11.04 Unity runs as it is supposed to.

Sounds like what I want to do, but I only get the "recovery console" option and don't have a Ubuntu Netbook Remix option either. Can you be more specific on how to recover from this? This would save me from completely starting from scratch.

Thanks!

girto
May 3rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sounds like what I want to do, but I only get the "recovery console" option and don't have a Ubuntu Netbook Remix option either. Can you be more specific on how to recover from this? This would save me from completely starting from scratch.

Thanks!

From memory:
Boot in recovery mode and login. On the upper right, there is an icon that has the preferences/administration. Choose Login Screen and there you'll find the selector to be changed.