PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Design flaw with sidebar

8_Bit
April 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Unity is a great project with great potential, and one day it will be a great alternative to other shells.

However, it has some issues before I use it full-time as my main DE.

In the final Natty release this week, there are still graphical glitches in the sidebar. I see white bars over/behind the icons. It's most obvious in the Apps menu. This makes the OS look very unprofessional and I'll be waiting before installing it on friend's PC now until they're gone. This is a "final" version that should really be called "Beta 3," IMO. Final release should have been delayed to fix simple things like this.

Second, and my main gripe, is the Unity sidebar behavior.
When I maximize a Firefox window, the Firefox "back" button on the very left of the window gets covered by the Unity launcher whenever I shoot my mouse over to the left to press Back.

Make the launcher function like a gnome-panel when it is on-screen, in that it does not allow any windows in its space. This is what I like about AWN, when you set it to Panel mode, no window ever gets below the dock, and maximized windows even adjust properly to the margin of the AWN dock. Not so in Unity.

The Unity launcher should not be covering applications!

We should have the option of turning off auto-hide. I HATE auto-hide. It's slow, and forces you wait for it to show up, totally breaking your workflow. I'd prefer it off, even if it means having this launcher always on my screen!

Overrall Unity has great potential and I hope these issues get addressed so that 11.10 will really be amazing. For now, I am sticking to Ubuntu Classic. Gotta love the reliability GNOME 2! :D

tomski
April 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
this is because unity has been forced into a full desktop environment as a pose to just being used for netbook's

mc4man
April 29th, 2011, 02:48 PM
If you are not too accurate a "shooter" then install compizconfig-settings-manager
Then open ccsm, many ways - try Alt+F2, then type in
about:config
In the unity settings disable the 'reveal mode' option, this will revert the mouse trigger point to upper top left corner of the screen

If desired change the launcher mode from the default of 'dodge windows' to either 'autohide' (true-hide) or 'never'