PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 11.04 on Virtual Box

tooCanad
April 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I am running Ubuntu inside of Virtual Box 4.06 on a Dell e4310 with 4GB of ram.
I did the upgrade. It went smoothly enough. However, at first login on reboot following the upgrade an error message indicated I did not have the have the correct hardware to run Unity and it switched to Ubuntu Classic (Gnome) UI.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CHFFriday
April 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM
tooCanad,
I'm haviing the same problem.I think it has something to do with VM's video. If I get a fix I will let you know. I have seen two other post here that the users had it running but did not state if Unity was running. I ask them for their VB setting.

CHFFriday

tooCanad
April 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks I was thinking something along those lines but did not have a chance to bang away at it.

TC

uidb4056
April 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am running Ubuntu inside of Virtual Box 4.06 on a Dell e4310 with 4GB of ram.
I did the upgrade. It went smoothly enough. However, at first login on reboot following the upgrade an error message indicated I did not have the have the correct hardware to run Unity and it switched to Ubuntu Classic (Gnome) UI.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
In the settings of your virtual machine you need to enable 3D aceleration and give enough video Ram, after that you have to install on your VM the Guest Additions. Then after reboot you get the Unity interface.

tooCanad
April 29th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Tried enabling 3D Acceleration. Increased the video memory from 8MB to 40MB of 128MB max.

Ubuntu crashes on login using Ubuntu and Ubuntu classic.

Ran the command
/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p in terminal and it had identified the 3D acceleration as an issue.

Turned off 3D acceleration and it booted into classic Ubuntu no issue.

uidb4056
April 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Have you installed Guest Additions?, wich version of Virtualbox are you running?

tooCanad
May 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Guest Additions installed. Virtual box version 4.0.6 r71416

Seems to be an issue with 3D support/ resources.

YesWeCan
May 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I can get 11.04/Unity working in VirtualBox. But it is unstable when I try to resize the VB window. The machine freezes and has to be "powered off". So I am not surprised you are having problems. We shall have to wait until Unity is out of beta. ;)

General
Name: Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit
OS Type: Ubuntu

System
Base Memory: 2048 MB
Processor(s): 1
Boot Order: Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk
VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled
Nested Paging: Enabled

Display
Video Memory: 128 MB
3D Acceleration: Enabled
2D Video Acceleration: Disabled
Remote Desktop Server: Disabled

tooCanad
May 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
YesWeCan:

You are a step ahead of me. What hardware are you running Virtual Box on?

YesWeCan
May 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Below.
In theory the hardware shouldn't matter much, but I think VB's 3D emulator is still "experimental" and so that may explain the differences we are seeing. I don't know how VB works tho so this is just a guess.
In VB I tried using SUSE 11.4 with Gnome Shell demo and it didn't really work at all.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the VB forum: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40972