PDA

View Full Version : So far, +1 on 11.04

wep940
April 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I haven't sat down to try much yet, but 11.04 installed great on my PC, including downloading and installing the restricted driver for my wireless card.

Unity looks interesting - different of course, but interesting. I think I'm going to try using it for a while before I decide if I want to use it as my default or if I want to fall back to Gnome.

So far, for me at least, great job everyone!

hakermania
April 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hmm, I find it unorganized. Can you find your installed apps organized somewhere?
I can only find it in the Dash under the Installed menu, but it shows them like a shack of potatoes :P

I don't think that 11.04 will be easy to learn for beginners, and also i think that 11.04 lacks of simplicity (i.e. difficult to browse through open applications and middle click to reopen an instant of an app)

As for the design and the full screen for the programs, these ROCK!

Light Knight 22
April 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
It definitely has pros and cons. It seems like it's trying to hard to be "user friendly". It's a step in the right direction, as Ubuntu is stable and customizable and powerful; all it's missing is to be more user friendly. But it's easier said than done.

I love the Unity look, the only thing it's missing is a application menu and for it to be more customizable.

hakermania
April 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
It definitely has pros and cons. It seems like it's trying to hard to be "user friendly". It's a step in the right direction, as Ubuntu is stable and customizable and powerful; all it's missing is to be more user friendly. But it's easier said than done.

I love the Unity look, the only thing it's missing is a application menu and for it to be more customizable.

Yeah, agree, access to the applications and to the files are pretty easy, for an experienced user, but for a new one will be very hard to find how the system is designed, where to download apps etc...
EDIT: and switching between open apps is still very difficult

wep940
May 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
I hate to do it, but I must remove my +1 for 11.04. I tried Unity for a while, and found a lot of windows to which I could not get to the "minimize, maximize, close" buttons - 1 example: start LibreOffice word processing, go to help, and do a search. The next thing you know you've got no way to close it.

I then just went back to Gnome, figuring no big deal - Unity is new and of course things will need to be worked out. However, once I got back to Gnome every window - games, web browser, etc. - not opened in full screen mode left we with no way to get to the top line of the window to do things again like minimize, maximize and close. I made the top bar autohide, but still the windows were off the top of the screen and I had no way to get to the top line of the window so no way to drag it down or work any of the aforemention buttons.

I went to the bottom of the screen but apparently the bottom line in Gnome is in some way turned off by default now, so I had way to click a window name and close it.

Needlessly to say, this left me in more than 1 quandry. So for now, I'll just go back to 10.10 since it was working okay.

I still love ubuntu, and these little hiccups won't change that. I'll just wait a few months to let some of the bugs get worked out before I install 11.04 again.

Now, for something I'm very guilty of as well:

The Ubuntu development team is to be commended for such a large effort, and at the same time users like you and me, who did not try the beta testing of 11.04, have hopefully learned that ALL of us need to participate in the testing if we want a product without as many bugs. They can only test whatever the testing base is. Imagine if we all ran a small virtual machine and just did some "playing around" with a beta release - as an individual you might only contribute 1 or 2 bug reports, but think what the impact would be if we all reported our 1 or 2 bugs. I have been very guilty of not participating in any alpha or beta testing even under my old userid (changed providers because I moved, computer trashed due to move and lost my logins).

Carborundum
May 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
I hate to do it, but I must remove my +1 for 11.04. I tried Unity for a while, and found a lot of windows to which I could not get to the "minimize, maximize, close" buttons - 1 example: start LibreOffice word processing, go to help, and do a search. The next thing you know you've got no way to close it.
FWIW, you can make the buttons reappear by switching to another window and back again. This bug is reported (#762277), so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

beew
May 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM

There is a work around that is not very elegant but works for me. If an application opens full screen without buttons switch to a different desktop and then switch back the buttons will show up. Don't ask me why. :)

ankspo71
May 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Now, for something I'm very guilty of as well:

The Ubuntu development team is to be commended for such a large effort, and at the same time users like you and me, who did not try the beta testing of 11.04, have hopefully learned that ALL of us need to participate in the testing if we want a product without as many bugs. They can only test whatever the testing base is. Imagine if we all ran a small virtual machine and just did some "playing around" with a beta release - as an individual you might only contribute 1 or 2 bug reports, but think what the impact would be if we all reported our 1 or 2 bugs. I have been very guilty of not participating in any alpha or beta testing even under my old userid (changed providers because I moved, computer trashed due to move and lost my logins).

Hi,
We can also report bugs any time we like:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
:)

lisati
May 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

wep940
May 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm going to go ahead and close this. I figured many people already found the window problem and reported it, so I didn't think it was worth adding to the bug reports. As far as a "fix", I guess my view is that it's no big deal to me - I don't want to have to switch windows, etc. - so I'll just go back to 10.10 and wait for the dust to settle a little on 11.04, then I'll install it again. No big deal to me.

Thanks for all the input!

BigSilly
May 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
It's very much a +1 from me. I was unsure at first, especially as I'd found Gnome 3 and the shell to be largely excellent after having it installed for a week on OpenSuse. Gnome 3 really is something, but upon trying Unity I thought it was too different. Now though I'm well into it. It's really quite a brilliant thing, and I'm saddened to hear so many having difficulty adjusting (though not that surprised).

anaconda
May 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
I then just went back to Gnome, figuring no big deal - Unity is new and of course things will need to be worked out. However, once I got back to Gnome every window - games, web browser, etc. - not opened in full screen mode left we with no way to get to the top line of the window to do things again like minimize, maximize and close. I made the top bar autohide, but still the windows were off the top of the screen and I had no way to get to the top line of the window so no way to drag it down or work any of the aforemention buttons.

I went to the bottom of the screen but apparently the bottom line in Gnome is in some way turned off by default now, so I had way to click a window name and close it.

You can move windows up/down by holding down the Alt -button and rightcliking and dragging the window with a mouse, by clicking anywhere anywhere on the window.

Also. closing the program you could use eg. Alt-F (which gets the file menu) and then Q (usually)

or by typing xkill on the terminal (or after alt-F2) and then killing the program with a mouseclick....

wep940
May 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Again - why? That's my entire feeling. It's not a big deal to me - I can wait until it is fixed. I for one am not in such a big hurry to use a just-released release as to want to do the various things to work with windows. Plain and simple - that *SHOULD* have worked before it was released. However, I say again, it's no big deal to me.

Please, the thread is marked as solved.