PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it the right time to upgrade to 11.04 from 10.10?

alwaysonnet
April 29th, 2011, 07:46 AM
All,

Is it the right time to do a fresh install of 11.04? I started loving Ubuntu (presently has 10.10) now-a-days and wants to see how new version looks like.

Will all features of 11.04 support my hardware? ( HD 40G, Intel 865GSA Mother board, 1.5G RAM )

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM
if you can wait lets say a few weeks:
the main bugs will be fixed
the servers less busy

Cotopaxi
April 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
For God's and for Heaven's sake:

WAIT - WAIT - WAIT

I just did the upgrade. First it took the whole night for the system do download all he files, which is not actually the critical point.

What really is critical and deadly is that the upgrade de-installed the nVidia Video card driver and the system now boots into a black screen.

I have absolutely no idea, how to get my laptop up and running again!

So again: WAIT - WAIT - WAIT!!

Cotopaxi
April 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I will post a new tread about this topic, It looks like I am not the only one, who boots into a black screen.

mbott
April 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I completed a clean install last evening and all went well. No major issues that I could detect in 2 hours. However, "anything flash" sucked. Dropped back to 10.10 this morning and I'll monitor progress on the flash fix ... hopefully.

--
Mike

alwaysonnet
April 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I agree that certainly there will be lots of load on the download servers.

Where can I track the latest release bug fixes and can be assured that everything looks good for a clean install.

phpwebdeveloper
April 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi,

Please don't upgrade Ubuntu versions...right now steadily wait for all bugs are fixed with newer version. after n fresh update that has major functions will working ever... so this is not a perfect time to upgrade.

Thanks all of you,
Stela

TedinOz
April 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I completed a clean install last evening and all went well. No major issues that I could detect in 2 hours. However, "anything flash" sucked. Dropped back to 10.10 this morning and I'll monitor progress on the flash fix ... hopefully.

--
Mike

I have upgraded and no major issues yet. NP here with flash. Just curious though if ever I need to...how did you drop back to 10.10? Might be handy to know. Thanks

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have upgraded and no major issues yet. NP here with flash. Just curious though if ever I need to...how did you drop back to 10.10? Might be handy to know. Thanks

there is no way except making a fresh install

TedinOz
April 29th, 2011, 01:43 PM
there is no way except making a fresh install

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks.

TBABill
April 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM

--
Mike
That's odd. I'd recommend Flash Aid add on for fixing that if you haven't done so already. Flash is working great on mine with it.

seanbw
April 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
There are other ways to download though - zsync, torrent or jigido. I have found that using torrent for the major distros like ubuntu, kubuntu results in a faster download than the iso download.
I also know I have been running beta2 with no major errors so the question I am asking meself is - maybe I will continue running beta 2 until the niggles have been ironed out - note to self - disable automatic update/upgrade reflexes.

Docaltmed
April 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I went full-time with Natty beta a couple of weeks ago, with no problems. One of the things I did first, though, was make a USB install disk and tried it out in VM first. That way I kind of knew what I would be getting into.

This upgrade was surprisingly smooth for me. Every upgrade since 8.01 has been painful to one degree or another. This one just worked.

rad_sci_guy
April 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I did the upgrade as I didn't care if anything went wrong because a couple of weeks ago my grub became broken and I couldn't repair it. I think some files in the grub folder became corrupt. The upgrade fixed my grub and I can now boot up without using an external boot loader.

The upgrade worked well. I think unity even figured out which applications I use most and added the icons onto the unity bar.

I have an nVidia card and all went well. The only issue I have is that I've had the unity bar freeze up on me a couple of times. but logging out and then back in fixed the issue. Banshee has been crappy as it freezes up (to greyed out window) but everything else seems snappy. Libreoffice is wickedly fast. It almost feels like a clean install

I'll try this out for a couple of weeks but I'm prepared to wipe clean and start again if I notice any other issue crop up.

leeman101
April 29th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I did a fresh install. Was Using 10.04 before.
I have had no problems, other than graphics problems which were fixed by downloading and activating proprietary graphics driver. Flash works just fine for me, not sure what problems anyone else is having with flash are.. Some people like to wait until bugs get fixed, etc. I run other systems on other computers, so I'm not too concerned about little bugs for now. If this will be your only system, then I would wait if you want a perfectly stable system. Otherwise, installing should be fine if you don't necessarily need 100% hassle-free use right away.

mbott
April 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Ok that's what I thought. Thanks.

Repeat to yourself: Clonezilla is your friend.

I make no major changes to any of my three systems that don't begin with a disk image being made with Clonezilla. The restore took all of 30 minutes to complete when I decided "something" wasn't right with 11.04. I'll make another attempt in the near future when I have more time to fix any issues.

--
Mike

TedinOz
April 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Repeat to yourself: Clonezilla is your friend.

I make no major changes to any of my three systems that don't begin with a disk image being made with Clonezilla. The restore took all of 30 minutes to complete when I decided "something" wasn't right with 11.04. I'll make another attempt in the near future when I have more time to fix any issues.

--
Mike

Many thanks for that. I haven't been aware of Clonezilla but looking at it now and it looks great!
So much to learn with Linux but I sure am enjoying it (and the occasional challenge) and the great help on these forums continues to point me in the right direction. Thanks again :)

tracktop
April 30th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Upgraded from 10.10 - now when I start I get white bar screen with jibberish until it all finishes loading then it seemed fine.
As someone else said it drops the nvidia driver use but still leaves it activated but mot in use.
Tried to get a 2nd screen going through nvidia setup that needed a reboot.
System failed to start and stopped at white screen jibberish - dropped to start console thingo ?????
As I couldnīt read anything rebooted and tried safe? start but still no good
Selected restore ?? old prev??? software from start menu and booted OK though still through the jibberish section
Now seems to work again and I have background picture on second screen but unable to get anything else on 2nd screen ( twin view - different resolutions).
At least my system is usable still. though the inabiltiy to see error during startup is a worry

suggestions???

Max Headroom
April 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Upgraded from 10.10 on a DELL GX280.

Took nineteen hours to complete the download, deep joy.

Whole process went beautifully smooth.

Just that the grub menu looks like it starts half a page to the left of the screen so it's invisible.

Also the menu icons take up realestate on the left of the desktop screen.

Top left menu items are missing from the top menu bar and the bottom bar panel has vanished.

But I can make do until I learn how to set it up properly.

Not quite sure if I'm glad to have upgraded because I feel so hip and groovy because I managed to live through it but I'm still looking sideways to figure out why the menu's took a tablet.

Bye from sunny Belize :o)

TedinOz
April 30th, 2011, 04:08 AM
@ Max Headroom...

I'm with you. Feeling some of the same thoughts and seeing some of the same problems but I will stay with it and hopefully come to be more proficient with it.

This link was provided me on another thread which I think will be useful to all.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity

jc1969
April 30th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I've wasted the whole day trying to boot from the grub screen. No idea what to do. I've spen the whole day reading but with no success. 10.10 was great, why did I go and hit upgrade?

lakelse
April 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
All,

Is it the right time to do a fresh install of 11.04? I started loving Ubuntu (presently has 10.10) now-a-days and wants to see how new version looks like.

Will all features of 11.04 support my hardware? ( HD 40G, Intel 865GSA Mother board, 1.5G RAM )

I strongly support those that say to wait.

For one thing, you should consider whether the new desktop will actually work properly with your hardware. You asked the question, but I'm not sure from the details you gave. You'll need video acceleration to work properly, and your post doesn't refer to a video card. My guess is you'd have to drop back to 2D mode-and that you'd wish you hadn't upgraded.

For another thing, I always recommend not installing a new version of Ubuntu for about a month after release, to allow the kinks to get worked out. In this case, with the monumental changes, it might make sense to wait longer than that.

b

trystan830
April 30th, 2011, 05:24 AM
i've just read this thread - i've been using Ubuntu since 8.04, i think. i have a install CD from 9.04, i know that. and this thread has been very helpful, and i shall wait a while - probably until the beginning of June, perhaps to burn the ISO onto a CD and install 11.04 from there. in the meantime, i'll stay with my 10.10. :o

mbott
May 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM
That's odd. I'd recommend Flash Aid add on for fixing that if you haven't done so already. Flash is working great on mine with it.

I made a second attempt at a clean install and followed your advise with Flash Aid. Fixed 1/2 the issues I was encountering, but I'm still not happy with the overall upgrade to 11.04. Restored my 10.10 with Clonezilla for the second time.

Things like opening the Ubuntu Software Center to be greeted by nothing but a grey screen or maybe the icons only tend to detract from the system. :(

Oh, I did add Flash Aid to my 10.10 install. :)

--
Mike

kd4dii
May 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi All
When there is a new release I usually down load the iso with bit torrent and boot live and see if it works ok with my machine. I am usually not too big on the .04 releases and wait to install the .10 releases. I tried an install in dual boot with 10.1 on my laptop and had some problems with the Unity desktop. It would change screen resolution and sometimes came up with no icons or menu bars just wallpaper. Booted to recovery mode and set to use the old desktop mode and it worked, installing software is a pain when there is a new release as the servers are swamped. I wiped the 11.04 off my drive and will stick to 10.1 untill 11.1 comes out and see if there are some improvements. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

markling
May 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'd suggest waiting until the next release - 11.10 in, what, six months?

11.04 isn't ready, just as 10.04 wasn't ready:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10751230#post10751230

The trouble is, if we don't try and fail to install the .04 version, and report the problem, will it actually be fixed in time for the .10 version? Is Canonical so short of testers that it has to test on the full release? If this is so, it should make it clear, so people who don't have the time to mess about can avoid wasting their time.