PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] If I Upgrade to 11.04, Will Unity Automatically Replace Gnome Panel & Launchers?

OzzyFrank
April 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Just wondering if I upgrade whether Unity will replace my Gnome panels, or will I get to choose during the installation? Also, what will happen to all my custom launchers on the top panel when I make the move? Mine is full of important ones I use every day, so would hate to just simply lose them!

Also, from screenshots I've seen, the top panel in Unity is a barren place, so does that mean you can't put your own custom launchers there if you had installed from scratch? Many thanks in advance!

Hedgehog1
April 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM
You can load Natty/11.04 and still use the 'Classic’ UI: Natty Info: Your UI options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293)

The Hedge

:KS

OzzyFrank
April 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Oh, so upgrading will install Unity, probably make that the default, but then you can choose "Classic" as a login option, which should make it the default again thereafter. And I guess that means for an upgraded system with custom launchers on the panel, when you log in again to the old interface, the panel should be as it was. Cool. Thanks for that!

OzzyFrank
April 29th, 2011, 08:03 AM
So what happens to the custom launchers in Unity? Is there a section for them in the new menu system?