PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded to 11.04 - can't boot new kernel

pissedoffdude
April 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I updated the 64-bit version of 10.10 to 11.04 and I am having trouble booting the new kernel, 2.6.38. The old 2.6.35 kernel under the previous linux versions works fine. All went well with the update except grub, it installed to the wrong drive, but that was a quick fix When I try to boot the new kernel in verbose mode, it stops after

init: unreadahead-other main process (844) with status 4
init: unreadahead-other main process (849) with status 4
init: unreadahead-other main process (854) with status 4
app armor: skipping firefox

Booting the old kernel in verbose reports the same messages, but it doesn't freeze there. I noticed the config, system-map, vmcoreinfo, and vmlinuz files in /boot had incorrect permissions and I tried setting the same ones the working kernel has but I had no luck. Also, I've tried purging the new kernel and reinstalling it, but I get the same problem. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do?

Problem Solved!!
Apparently this was a graphics issue. Before upgrading, I didn't uninstall the nvidia driver from the .run file. Booting into recovery mode and reinstalling the driver fixed the problem.

ben2talk
May 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Not in my case (I think)

I cannot boot the default option: 2.6.38-8-generic-pae
I lose graphics very quickly.

However, going to 'older versions' and selecting the 2.6.38-8-generic option works fine.

What's the crack here?

cis202
May 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
do you have two graphics cards (one onboard and one separate)?
I too cannot boot the new kernel and try to find out what causes this.
Some msgs on the fora suggest it has to do with having double graphic-cards. That's why I ask.

MOraleSs
May 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Same problem here. I upgraded two servers today. One of them booted with no problems, the other one just refuses to boot with the new kernel. The 2.6.35 version of the previous version works fine. I tryed everything the last 3 hours and still no luck.
I don't think it's a graphic card issue, since I use the server version.
Please, can someone help with this issue?