PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty Install partitioning problem

merlinus
April 29th, 2011, 04:09 AM
When I choose the manual partitioning scheme (the bottom radio button), I cannot specify mountpoints manually for some of my partitions.

I have tried clicking in the mountpoint box, to no avail. The only choices I have are in the dropdown menu.

My current partitions include ones for /data, /storage, and /art, in addition to / and /home.

Hedgehog1
April 29th, 2011, 04:13 AM
The non-standard mount points will need to be added to the fstab file after install. You will need to install '/' and '/home' now, and add the other back in after the install.

You can save your current /etc/fstab file to a safe place so you can harvest those lines later.

The Hedge

:KS

merlinus
April 29th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the info. The change from 10.10 and all other releases seems absurd, in terms of not being able to manually enter a mountpoint. I fail to understand the reason for this.

Another question, por favor. Since I have a separate /home partition, what should I put in for user when prompted? I am afraid if I put in my existing username then the install will overwrite everything in that directory.

Hedgehog1
April 29th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the info. The change from 10.10 and all other releases seems absurd, in terms of not being able to manually enter a mountpoint. I fail to understand the reason for this.

Another question, por favor. Since I have a separate /home partition, what should I put in for user when prompted? I am afraid if I put in my existing username then the install will overwrite everything in that directory.

I know there is a thread about this happening. I suspect that the poster didn't realize they had the 'format' box checked on the '/home' partition, and that is what really caused the issue.

As long as you do not check the format box on the '/home' partition, you will not lose any data. HOWEVER it is always wise to backup your data & documents before any install or large upgrade.

The Hedge

:KS

merlinus
April 29th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I never format /home or my other partitions when installing a newer version, only /.

Thanks, and also for the reminder to always backup important data beforehand.