PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

the_crayon_king
April 29th, 2011, 01:30 AM
This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit two lines to read as follows:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

sudo update-grub

Chris2243
April 29th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for this, it sorted it for me. The function buttons are reversed but I can live with it!

docmark777
May 1st, 2011, 03:01 AM
Either I did it wrong or it didn't work for me. I think I probably did it wrong.

Could you rewrite those instructions with any and all details.

I assume that was not all done in the terminal window?

Thanks,

diehard67
May 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for this, it sorted it for me. The function buttons are reversed but I can live with it!
I have an acer aspire 7715 and had the same problem, I upgraded the bios and it went away, the reversed brightness buttons I meen, still waiting for a fix to that backlight issue, however the workaround in the first post allowed me to atleast turn on the light myself.

danielelias22
May 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
My screen was waayyy to white.

NOw i can see better.

I love you.

leisuresuitgreg
May 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Can't seem to get this to work on HP 6735s...

Any other ideas anyone? I have noticed others using this

echo 9>/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

But I have nothing in the folder /sys/class/backlight/ It is empty!

Cheers for any help in advance!

Greg

thelildrummaboy
August 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
i dont get the code stuff how do you do all this stuff just got linux a few days ago have the same issue dont know how top use the terminal can you please help me

Vines
September 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Oh, man! I love you too. Fixed brightness control on Acer Aspire 5755G.

babakmoazzez
October 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks to the_crayon_king (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=940485), the first solution worked for me.

pilotuser
October 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks, the_crayon_king. It also works in 11.10 !

Threadbaron
October 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
It almost works on my eMachines E725
Or it works, until I connect an external monitor to the notebook.

Then the external monitor starts to work, and the notebook backlight is turned off again. Off course if I run the script again, the blacklight is back, but how I could I run it automatically, after an external monitor is attached to it?

Please note that it is also a problem, if the external monitor is plugged in during the startup. The login screen is sort of fine (the notebook is using the resolution of the external monitor for some reason), but after the login the notebook screen goes dark again.

Any idea?

dan_hurst
October 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks the_crayon_king, this worked with my Acer Aspire 5736z.

Buttons reversed but a million miles better than what it was!

Dyskid2011
November 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing lol
Acer Aspire 5734Z

Dyskid2011
November 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing wrong lol
I updated from 10.04 lts to 11.04 I can still see that my screen works just no backliht. I'm on it now using a flashlight to see what i'm doing
Acer Aspire 5734Z

la11111
December 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I just purchased an Acer Aspire 5733z and found that although the function keys for brightness were recognized, the brightness setting was not changed.

FTR, I installed Linux Mint 12 which is Ubuntu-based.

the update-grub fix worked for me. Thought I would add my 2c for the sake of googlers everywhere. here's the relevant info for my HW:

--

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

--
# lsmod | grep ^i915
i915 566711 3

--

good luck!

Mr Heretic
March 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot, crayon king!
The brightness had been completely unadjustable, but this fix worked flawlessly.
Using Linux Mint 12 on an Acer 5755G.

workflow
August 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM
Omg, it works!

(On Ubuntu 12.04 @ Acer Traverlmate 8372G)

Thank you crayon_king!

TheoFromSed
September 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM

sudo update-grub

Thank you. This solve brightness problem at Acer Aspire 3935, Ubuntu 12

hoffman462
November 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Does not work on Acer Aspire 5732Z.
Thanks

jayismyname
May 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Hi this is what I did

I had this issue with 12.10 and 13.04 when you first boot the disk get into the grub boot menu and press F6 and select nomodeset. You will be able to install fine no problems and boot up from drive with no problems but the resolution will be out and it will run slow so to fix this you go into grub sudo gedit /etc/default/grub then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux" make sure you use a cap L in Linux. You need to delete nomodeset from the grub script that will sort out the resolution and the slowness but not the back light. After you have done all this press save and exit back to the terminal and run sudo update-grub so it is set up for the next time you boot. enter sudo gedit /etc/rc.local (you might have to be root for this) then between does nothing and end 0 add setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

This has completely cured it for me I don't have to do anything to it now and it took me 2 days to sort out, running brilliantly with no issues. Just to add you might have read to start it with acpi=off don't as it will disable your WiFi!