PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install bootloader after btrfs root install?

donniezazen
April 29th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hi,

I did a fresh install of Natty with btrfs / and / home partitions. I used alternate CD. I had to skip bootloader installation. I get grub-rescue screen. If someone can guide me how to install bootloader in this particular case would be great. Thanks.

As of 11.04-beta1, it is possible to use only btrfs file systems with the caveat that grub _MUST_NOT_ be installed to the boot sector of the btrfs volume containing /boot. See also Ubuntu Grub2 Bug 757446 and Ubuntu Grub2 Bug 759772. You must install it to either the parent (sda rather than sda1; MBR/Reserved Sectors) _OR_ use a dedicated /boot partition as shown in the following example (in Fresh Install on 10.10 Maverick).

Thanks.

Arand
April 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I would create a separate /boot partition upon installation in your case...

- arand

donniezazen
April 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I would create a separate /boot partition upon installation in your case...

- arand

I was able to install btrfs on Lenovo S10e flawlessly without /boot partition. Will there be any difference between a non /boot partition and /boot btrfs system?

Thanks.

Arand
April 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
As far as I know, you will end up getting a grub2 warning which you will need to tap through on each boot, if you don't make a separate /boot.

I would assume that in general it is a bit more fault-proof as well, not to keep all eggs on one basket.

If you want to install grub in the current setup though that should be possible, simply boot a liveCD, chroot into the system and reconfigure/reinstall grub2:
sudo mount /dev/sdXY -o defaults,subvol=@ /mnt

sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
## Or more consisely: for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt/$i; done

sudo chroot /mnt

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
## Select sdX
exite.g. if main disk is sda, and btrfs / is on sda5, substitute X=a Y=5

- arand