PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Panel won't start after 11.04 upgrade

kkinder
April 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
After upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04, it appears gnome-panel won't start when I login in classic, classic with no compiz, or even failsafe/safe mode. What happens is the login will start, and I'll see an empty wallpaper with a cursor that switches between the hourglass circle spinner and a regular cursor.

If I hit alt+f2, the run dialog will appear, but immediately be killed (or something).

I am able to login with Unity as well as the recovery console. On the recovery console, when I try to launch the panel, I see this:

[blah blah blah]
b2b97000-b2ba8000 r-xp 00000000 08:05 2101405 /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.sofish: Job 1, “gnome-panel” terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)

Any ideas? Since Unity doesn't work with focus-follows-mouse, but still tries to use focus-follows-mouse, I'm actually using IceWM to report this.

coldbluesteel
April 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I had the panel at first boot. System locked up as I was trying to figure out how to move the stupid thing to the bottom of the screen where I like it.

Rebooted and the panel and new taskbar are gone. All my desktop folders and items are there, but no way to access any programs....

Any ideas?

kkinder
April 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
FWIW, blowing away my panel configuration solved my problem. mv ~/.gconf/apps/panel ~/.gconf/apps/panel-backup

inhumanbean
June 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Initially I was able to use gnome-panel after the upgrade (from 10.10 to 11.04). However after a routine weekly update it stopped working. Going into classic menu or trying to invoke gnome-panel --replace would cause the system to freeze.
I was able to ssh into the system from another machine and run 'top'. This showed gnome-panel process at 100% and compiz memory rising steadily. Ultimately i fixed this issue, by completely removing gnome-panel using:

sudo apt-get purge gnome-panel

and then installing it

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel.

After this i am able to get into classic mode, or in my case, run unity and do gnome-panel --replace. This gives me all the short cuts of unity and the widgets convenience of gnome-panel.

cmcanulty
October 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
that didn't work for me. I can only get panels by typing
gnome-panel in terminal and leaving the terminal open!Help.