PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with 11.04 Natty Narwhal

jakslev
April 29th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I have been holding my breath the last weeks in childish expectation to see what the Ubuntu Team had now cooked up for us this evening before the wedding of Willy and Katy.

My main issues with Unity is:

1) Why? What is the purpose in not using GNOME? Especially considering that Unity does not seem to bring anything to us that wasn't already possible in GNOME 2.3 - not to mention what GNOME 3 now offers.

2) I can't add launchers to the side panel to programs unless they have been installed through the Ubuntu Software Center. Back to having launchers on my desktop?

3) The menu-bar suddenly being moved to the top panel is ridiculous and confusing. Might be something you can get used to - but again why the heck? Furthermore it doesn't integrate well with non-Ubuntu applications, causing you to sometimes have to have the menu-bar in your active window (where it belongs). Not very streamlined.

4) Certain programs (f.i. Phoenix Viewer) loses their interface-ability when maximized. Probably because of the strange placement of the menu-bar.

5) Not possible to clear the history in recent documents and having them in broad view? Hmm.. I am sure that will cause problems in some houses.

6) Workspace changer has been made big and un-handy. Having to click and double click on a big screen is just silly. The way it was done in GNOME 2.3 made sense and was quick.

7) Several applications seem to have disappeared or stopped working. In particular I am missing Desktop Drapes to cycle my wallpapers and the Compiz Cube.

Unity and the Natty Narwhal does not seem to have been ready for release. Surely it would have been more intelligent to have let the GNOME 3 take the brunt and anger from us, instead of yourselves launching this un-finished project. Intelligent strategic management would have let GNOME 3 enter 11.04, and the use the next 6 months in polishing Unity and launching it in 11.10 (or maybe realizing that it isn't a step forward).

Hope to soon get some hacks and some updates so we can actually start using the Natty Narwhal. Otherwise I am starting to smell Mint and maybe I will wear a Fedora hat in a month!

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hi!

You can go back to classic;

I have.

system...admin...login..choose classic...reboot.

Keghead

jakslev
April 29th, 2011, 01:39 AM
YEah.. I could.. but doesn't let me run Desktop Drapes anyway :o(

fabio.hipolito
April 29th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Same problem with me, I can't use compiz properly.

newbiefly
April 29th, 2011, 03:38 AM
had so much trouble

jakslev
May 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
OK - sorted all the problems by running the KDE desktop.
Kubuntu is naice!

anidev
May 11th, 2011, 03:00 PM
@jakslev, Unity still uses Gnome, just a different way of interfacing with it.

Also, afaik, you can add launchers to the Unity side panel - open the program, right click the icon in the panel, and click "Keep in Launcher". This will keep the icon in the panel even after the window closes.

Anyway, I agree with most else of what you said - Unity doesn't seem fully ready for release (but last time I checked, neither did Gnome 3...), so for now, I guess Ubuntu Classic.

b9k9kiwi
May 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
YEah.. I could.. but doesn't let me run Desktop Drapes anyway :o(

Unity is clearly a break with the past.

I was looking forward to Gnome 3 and I didn't think that I would like Unity, but I do.

Unity is not about eye candy - it's about productivity, speed and ease of use. There are some issues that need fixing, but that will be addressed in time.

I am surprised how quickly I adapted to using it - at first, it didn't seem at all intuitive, but it is.

For all that, I have great affection for the Gnome desktop and can understand how some may find it hard to let go.

PCLinuxGuy
May 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM
It's possible to use different UI's but it slows the system down. Kubuntu is nice indeed, Xubuntu isn't bat either.

jakslev
May 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM
@jakslev, Unity still uses Gnome, just a different way of interfacing with it.

Also, afaik, you can add launchers to the Unity side panel - open the program, right click the icon in the panel, and click "Keep in Launcher". This will keep the icon in the panel even after the window closes.

Anyway, I agree with most else of what you said - Unity doesn't seem fully ready for release (but last time I checked, neither did Gnome 3...), so for now, I guess Ubuntu Classic.

Yes - which just makes it even worse. We get Unity which is basically just a forced "dressing" to Gnome. The "stay in sidebar" thingy only works for programs installed - not program that run out of a directory. At least not out of the box.

jakslev
May 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Unity is clearly a break with the past.

I was looking forward to Gnome 3 and I didn't think that I would like Unity, but I do.

Unity is not about eye candy - it's about productivity, speed and ease of use. There are some issues that need fixing, but that will be addressed in time.

I am surprised how quickly I adapted to using it - at first, it didn't seem at all intuitive, but it is.

For all that, I have great affection for the Gnome desktop and can understand how some may find it hard to let go.

I agree - it's fine that they want to try and change things the way they are. But imagine Logitech suddenly changing away from the qwerty keyboard layout, because they thought it was smarter to use the azerty one!

Unity and Gnome3 seems to be trying to do the same - so if/when MS jumps on the wagon we will probably be forced. Hope that Billy doesn't!

Anyway - my whole problem with this is that it IS NOT READY!! It is simply too buggy and not thought through to release as a standard. Many programs do not integrate with the top panel menus, either giving you no menu bars at all or giving you 2 sets. Others lose the ability to be interacted with when maximized.

No - for now I stay happily with KDE desktop. Currently at Kubuntu, but lets see when Canonical loses me completely. openSUSE is starting to look more and more interesting.

jakslev