PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I upgrade without screwing up my system, again?

maddbaron
April 28th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I'm a bit worried, when I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 I lost the ability to enable effects, lost the ability to use compiz and my screen got messed up and my video card driver wasn't working forcing me to re-install it several times. Even now my system doesn't totally work how it used to in 10.04.

I want to avoid that in this upgrade. I downloaded the live cd since the wire upgrade took a bunch of hours.

But my concern is the graphics, I want to be able to use effects since Unity uses effects, I have unity 2d installed but it doesn't work. So somehow enabling effects is a must.

what steps do I take to make the upgrade process as smooth as possible, I've already done my app updates so my system is current, I'll disable 3rd party ppa's like before but what else? Do I have to disable my video card driver so the live cd video card driver can be installed? How do I keep my setting as is but allow for all the 11.04 goodness to be installed?

Or is erasing my current Ubuntu partition and reinstalling 11.04 fresh the best option?

Thanks in advance.

inigo48
April 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
dont upgrade. wait at least a month. i just killed my 10.10 with the upgrade, but not even a fresh intall works for me. so i have to install the 10.10 back....

maddbaron
April 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM
dont upgrade. wait at least a month. i just killed my 10.10 with the upgrade, but not even a fresh intall works for me. so i have to install the 10.10 back....

what happened to your system, what broke? but good advice on waiting, let the bugs get outed...I will do that.

greybirds
April 29th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I agree with inigo. After first upgrading and then installing from scratch, 11.04 has left both Compiz and Metacity so buggy I can't even click a menu. This version has done things to my system I've never seen Ubuntu do, like overwrite user config files without asking. It's disappointing, and you're safest waiting until they've worked all the problems out.

inigo48
April 29th, 2011, 12:36 AM
what happened to your system, what broke? but good advice on waiting, let the bugs get outed...I will do that.

i get a black screen after boot where it seems like my monitor doesnt get a signal... and im not even able to get into the grub with the shift, so i have no idea what to do... i think that the fastest solution is a 10.10 ;)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742071