PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is this unity

loseby
April 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM
well installed last night and have large icons down the left side and I assume they are there for touch screens etc

Is this unity ? How would you go about getting Gnome back ?

And how can I get rid of this version of Firefox.....they have killed it

jakslev
April 28th, 2011, 11:52 PM
lol - ditto

Toaster Box
April 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM
To get rid of this version go at the login screen and logout.
At the bottom of the logon screen it should give you the option of user defined system set it to classic and finally you will have your good and old classic UI again.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Hi!

I use 11.04/classic

You can too:

system...admin...login...choose classic...reboot.

KegHead

GJCGJC
April 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm going to make what may be a lonely plea, but I think you should give Unity a few days. I've been using it off and on for a while in its old version and I'm definitely starting to notice a productivity benefit over Gnome + Gnome-do (my old setup). I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it now.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hi!

I use 11.04/classic

You can too:

system...admin...login...choose classic...reboot.

KegHead

No need to reboot, logout/login works.

Also, Unity is Gnome.

loseby
April 29th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I'm going to make what may be a lonely plea, but I think you should give Unity a few days. I've been using it off and on for a while in its old version and I'm definitely starting to notice a productivity benefit over Gnome + Gnome-do (my old setup). I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it now.

I tell you what I will do, I will leave Unity on this just to play with but when I upgrade my other PC to 11.04 I will go classic

Blasphemist
April 29th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Before anyone gives up on unity, I hope they look at things like this and learn how it's designed to work and how to customize what you can.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity

DMGrier
April 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I like Unity, It is a nice look and makes moving around the OS with less clicking. I also don't do a lot of customizing with gnome either though.

Zetheroo
April 29th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I like Unity, It is a nice look and makes moving around the OS with less clicking. I also don't do a lot of customizing with gnome either though.

Less clicking? - How so? I found the total opposite to be true in my personal experience.

beavis5551
April 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
when I first installed 11.04 and used Unity I was like "eerrr... what is this? Where do I get out?". But then I played around with it a little bit and I like Unity so far.

linuxrevo
April 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
when I first installed 11.04 and used Unity I was like "eerrr... what is this? Where do I get out?". But then I played around with it a little bit and I like Unity so far.

Yes it has too many potentials and very new desktop between all OS s. For now there are some ways to edit unity luncher using compiz.

beavis5551
April 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Yes it has too many potentials and very new desktop between all OS s. For now there are some ways to edit unity luncher using compiz.

agreed.

once i learned about the options with compiz I was good :)

tomski
April 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
unity should not be default
it is work in progress
it has a great ability
to make a pc look like a netbook
wow

and it refuses to play ball with dual monitors why
because it is for netbooks!

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hi!

I just remembered that when I purchased my Dell mini 9 it came with 8.04 I think.

It had a dell interface system..kinda reminds me of Unity.

Am I way off base?

KegHead

Blasphemist
April 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM
it is work in progress
it has a great ability
wow

See my screenshot to show you that it doesn't refuse to play with dual monitors. What problem are you having and what have you tried?

Zetheroo
April 30th, 2011, 12:52 AM
it is work in progress
it has a great ability
wow

Everything is a "work in progress" - does this mean nothing should be "default"!? Of course not!
My system looks nothing like a Netbook, with or without Unity. Makes no difference.
I work with dual monitors, no issues here.

Maybe ask for help before spreading fud!? ;)

demosthene1
April 30th, 2011, 01:25 AM
My first look at Unity I thought, oh it's not too bad. Played around with it, found it rather pointless. If I wanted icons on the side I could create my own links and do the same thing - plus be able to control their size. Never really liked the Mac idea of the top panel taking up the open app menu. Don't like the Unity look. Doesn't really do anything better or with fewer clicks than classic Gnome.

XFCE has become better and better, more and more functional and quick. I guess Gnome and the Unity plugin or whatever one calls it and I are parting ways. Just not interested in it. Just isn't my demographic.

Zetheroo
April 30th, 2011, 01:47 AM
You know you can control the size of the icons in the side-bar!? That is one of the few things that you can control ...

I generally agree that Unity (and the "dash") doesn't do anything quicker than classic Gnome, and with the lack of being able to customize the "dash" it beats it even further down for me. But maybe there is just another learning curve ... !?

Blasphemist
April 30th, 2011, 02:03 AM
This has some good information and video's on using natty and how to be efficient.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity