PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Purple Screen Of Death: Have I Upgraded Or Not?

demonboy
April 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi all,

Very excited about Natty so I waited until stable release yesterday and upgraded from Maverick to Natty. The hard drive is partitioned with a Windows 7 install.

Everything seemed to upgrade ok. The only file I replaced when asked was the new grub screen. All the other files like php.ini and apache files I kept my original local version.

After the upgrade the computer rebooted, I got the new grub screen (1.99?), selected Linux and then... nothing. It hung at the purple screen with Ubuntu logo.

I rebooted again and this time at grub I selected 'Previous Versions' of Linux and this time it booted up what looks like Natty. However the first icon in my new left-side vertical menu is an 'Install RELEASE' button. When I click this it wants to go through what looks like a complete install of Ubuntu, and the first thing it tells me is that it has identified a partitioned disk.

What is this? Do I have to complete this install? If not, and Natty is now installed, do I have to select 'Previous Version' at Grub every time?

demonboy
April 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Well it seems I upgraded alright, but not without a whole bunch of problems. I went to Absolute Beginners forum in the end because I really have no idea what is going on and a whole load of new problems have sprouted. Not getting very far either, but here is the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742763