PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error when trying to run Photoshop CS5

dctrsatan
April 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and get the following error after installing Photoshop CS5 Extended.

I uploaded a video of my problem. I have the latest version of Wine installed if that makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYtvUCIohBU

Flash858
April 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM
CS5 is not going to run under Wine. No possible way. Ever. Period.

It barely runs under Windows ;)

Your best bet is to install Virtual Box, Set up a Windows VM, and install CS5 there.

I assume you are a relatively new user, so I would encourage you to instead try Gimp to edit photos. I am a professional photographer, and frankly, I do all of my editing there, and only use CS5 for Dreamweaver anymore, as I have gotten so familiar with Gimp that Photoshop is no longer intuitive.

You can install Gimp in the Software Center, or by typing "sudo apt-get install gimp" (without the quotes) in a terminal.

If you have an older version of Photoshop, you could try Codeweavers.com - they have an interface for WINE called Crossover Linux, and I noticed PS7 and CS2 were running fairly well. If you go that route, save early and often. I installed PS7 once to try it, and it ran, but often crashed.

dctrsatan
April 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
How do you explain this video then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZnCcJuQLwY

That video is the one that i was following. Please watch it and get back to me.

Tomdarkness
April 29th, 2011, 01:29 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20158

It has a Gold rating in WineDB so not sure how you can claim that there is "No possible way."

To the OP: If you check on the howto on the WineDB is suggests that the best way to run PS CS5 in wine is to copy over a installation from Windows as described.

CS5 is not going to run under Wine. No possible way. Ever. Period.

It barely runs under Windows ;)

Your best bet is to install Virtual Box, Set up a Windows VM, and install CS5 there.

I assume you are a relatively new user, so I would encourage you to instead try Gimp to edit photos. I am a professional photographer, and frankly, I do all of my editing there, and only use CS5 for Dreamweaver anymore, as I have gotten so familiar with Gimp that Photoshop is no longer intuitive.

You can install Gimp in the Software Center, or by typing "sudo apt-get install gimp" (without the quotes) in a terminal.

If you have an older version of Photoshop, you could try Codeweavers.com - they have an interface for WINE called Crossover Linux, and I noticed PS7 and CS2 were running fairly well. If you go that route, save early and often. I installed PS7 once to try it, and it ran, but often crashed.

jcolyn
April 29th, 2011, 01:51 AM
CS5 can run in the latest version of wine. However individual computer hardware can be a determining factor whether or not it will run on your particular computer.

I prefer Gimp myself and since it is native to Linux it will work better and at native speed whereas CS5 in wine may be somewhat slower..

dctrsatan
April 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have fixed this issue. What i did was downgrade to wine 1.2.1 and it ran perfectly. I do not know why that person to first reply to my post would say it wouldn't ever run in Ubuntu he must be new.