PDA

View Full Version : the day after?

KegHead
April 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hi!

I feel like it's the day after!

Kinda let down after testing 11.04 and deciding not to go with Unity and/or Gnome 3.

Any others out there staying with classic?!

KegHead

cariboo
April 29th, 2011, 01:43 AM
This isn't a testimonial or an experience, moved to the Cafe.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 29th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I tested out Gnome 3 on Fedora this week, and I have to say that I'm not looking forward to Gnome Shell. I'm currently downloading 11.04 to see if I like Unity any better. I hope so.

Frogs Hair
April 29th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I will be giving unity and honest try , after a madding few minutes I found my way around . I did like making my own Awn themes and dock icons . I will see how it goes , Gnome 2.xx is only a couple clicks away.

NMFTM
April 29th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Any others out there staying with classic?!
I tried Unity for about 10 minutes and then went back to classic. I hate it when apps mess with the tried and true GUI. Same reason I'm not using Chromium right now.

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2011, 06:12 AM
IF I were upgrading to Natty, I'd be using classic, simply because my graphics won't do 3D stuff. As it is, I prefer LTS releases, so I won't be upgrading for another year, unless something really startling happens in the meantime.

As for where all this is going, I'm going to wait and see. An awful lot can happen in a year, or even six months.

NCLI
April 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I tried Unity for about 10 minutes and then went back to classic. I hate it when apps mess with the tried and true GUI. Same reason I'm not using Chromium right now.
According to your logic, our GUI should still look like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emh22gT5e9k) -_-

marl30
April 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I now have Unity installed in Virtualbox, which is running quite well in VM after having issues with previous VB versions. That's where it's going to be for now. I'm stay with KDE.

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Honestly, Chromium is so much better than Firefox - and Unity is so much better than classic Gnome - that you're really missing out on a lot by not changing. Give it a couple of weeks and approach it with an open mind, and you'll probably find yourself staying with Unity, and I'm sure you'll definitely stay with Chromium.

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Honestly, Chromium is so much better than Firefox - and Unity is so much better than classic Gnome - that you're really missing out on a lot by not changing. Give it a couple of weeks and approach it with an open mind, and you'll probably find yourself staying with Unity, and I'm sure you'll definitely stay with Chromium.

...just asked you in another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1695432&page=229) why unity is better..
..here I ask you:
Why is
Unity is so much better than classic Gnome ?
Please tell me only 1 advantage it has,really would be grateful.
I tried it for 2 days now (open-minded),and cannot find any advantage.
Only 1 big disadvantage...everything I do takes 1 click more..

KuniGunther
April 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I upgraded to 11.04 yesterday and tried to work with Unity for one day (hoping for improvements since the last beta). I switched back to the classic desktop. The basic show stopper is still this hide and seek approach, which might be good on small screens, but I have a big screen on my desktop for some obvious reason: I want to have all info for an effective workflow at one glance.

Before Unity I hadn't any idea that the most frequent things I'm doing while working is to switch between windows on several workspaces. In the classic view that is a one-click task: the switcher is in the lower panel, it displays sketches of the window positions and it reacts on one click in the right window. Switching windows using the task bar is also a one-click task.

For all that in Unity I need at least two clicks plus some mouse movement. Clicking on the workspace switcher displays the workspace full screen and I have to move and click a second time - that display mode is useful, but not as a default when I know where to go. The same with application switching. I typically have several shells open and they are positioned in some reasonable way on each workspace. Having all windows displayed to selected the right one out of a set of nearly identical ones is completely useless.
Copy and paste or fast switching for checking something became a nightmare.

Volker

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I upgraded to 11.04 yesterday and tried to work with Unity for one day (hoping for improvements since the last beta). I switched back to the classic desktop. The basic show stopper is still this hide and seek approach, which might be good on small screens, but I have a big screen on my desktop for some obvious reason: I want to have all info for an effective workflow at one glance.

Before Unity I hadn't any idea that the most frequent things I'm doing while working is to switch between windows on several workspaces. In the classic view that is a one-click task: the switcher is in the lower panel, it displays sketches of the window positions and it reacts on one click in the right window. Switching windows using the task bar is also a one-click task.

For all that in Unity I need at least two clicks plus some mouse movement. Clicking on the workspace switcher displays the workspace full screen and I have to move and click a second time - that display mode is useful, but not as a default when I know where to go. The same with application switching. I typically have several shells open and they are positioned in some reasonable way on each workspace. Having all windows displayed to selected the right one out of a set of nearly identical ones is completely useless.
Copy and paste or fast switching for checking something became a nightmare.

Volker
+1
So you also see no advantage for unity?
Would be glad if somebody would tell me...hopefully
3rdAlbum will,as he claims:
Unity is so much better than classic Gnome (post#9 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10736138&postcount=9))

MooPi
April 29th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'd love to say I've tried it and could give you my experience but it will not load on my test machine. Very disappointing to say the least. All of the help requests on the forum today thus far indicate trouble on the horizon. I can't even attempt to help because I haven't any experience to share or relate to. UGH ! :(

dinamic1
April 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM

chrome/chromium works like crap on my system. (scrolling is slow/hangs when loading pages etc). Firefox 4 works more or less as fast as on Xp (for me)

Naiki Muliaina
April 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'd love to say I've tried it and could give you my experience but it will not load on my test machine. Very disappointing to say the least. All of the help requests on the forum today thus far indicate trouble on the horizon. I can't even attempt to help because I haven't any experience to share or relate to. UGH ! :(

If its Unity thats the problem, have you tried the 2D version? I had to install it on my test PC at work normally, switch to Ubuntu/Gnome classic at the log in screen, open Synaptic, install all of Unity 2D, log out and switch to that.

Main PC works fine with Unity 3D, just my old one has a really trashy ATI in.

Rodney9
April 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Fast, intuitive, looks brilliant

Did I say fast, you bet.

Love Natty

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi!

I'm looking forward to testing 11.10!

I hope there is a clssic for me.

It does not look good!

KegHead

MooPi
April 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
If its Unity thats the problem, have you tried the 2D version? I had to install it on my test PC at work normally, switch to Ubuntu/Gnome classic at the log in screen, open Synaptic, install all of Unity 2D, log out and switch to that.

Main PC works fine with Unity 3D, just my old one has a really trashy ATI in.

No not Unity. I get a black screen, no prompt, desktop, nothing. I thought it was due to using the Live CD so I opted for the alternate install CD and ended with the same result. Will just try another computer later. It's just that I have never had an install go so terribly before and I've done plenty of installs to know when something isn't right. The odd thing is 10.10 loads without event and works flawlessly.

NormanFLinux
April 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'll stay with Oz Unity until the freeze bug gets fixed. This is the first Ubuntu installation I've seen where a desktop lockup makes it worthless.

Ubuntu Lucid runs smooth as silk. Someone slipped with coming out with an 11.04 that's unusable on older systems.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi!

Downloading Xubuntu to have another very serious look!

KegHead

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
+1
So you also see no advantage for unity?
Would be glad if somebody would tell me...hopefully
3rdAlbum will,as he claims:
Unity is so much better than classic Gnome (post#9 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10736138&postcount=9))

My view:

- single greatest thing in Unity is that it is not Gnome-shell (talk about taking too many clicks to do even a simple thing)
- Global menu (and you still get the old categorized menu by right-click on the menu applet)
- Depending on the screen that you are suing, a side panel is better than a bottom one, although I would wish I could make it smaller

The only thing in Unity that I can think of that requires an extra click is moving to an arbitrary workspace as there is no workspace panel applet (you have to go to global view, use keyboard shortcut or scroll the wheel on the desktop).

BigSilly
April 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM
My view:

- single greatest thing in Unity is that it is not Gnome-shell (talk about taking too many clicks to do even a simple thing)

I don't quite understand this, as I'm using Gnome 3 and shell and I'm definitely using less clicks to get about. In that respect, though I haven't tried it yet, I expect it's similar to Unity.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I don't quite understand this, as I'm using Gnome 3 and shell and I'm definitely using less clicks to get about. In that respect, though I haven't tried it yet, I expect it's similar to Unity.

Suppose you are using your computer with one hand on the mouse and one hand holding beer:

Open a new commonly used program:
Gnome2+Compiz, Unity, XFCE, LXDE - there are plenty of launchers on panels and/or docks.
Gnome-shell - one move/click to go into activities view, one move click to open the program. This is one move/click more than needed.

Change the current workspace:
G2C, U, X, L - scroll the middle button on the desktop background or click on the workspace switcher applet.
Gnome-shell - one move/click to go into activities view, one move/click to go into the desired workspace (I may have to scroll among the existing ones)

Move an existing window to a new Workspace:
G2C, U, X, L - drag a window to the edge of the screen. In XFCE and LXDE you can also use the Workspace switcher applet.
Gnome-shell - one move/click to go into activities view and only then can I drag/move a window form one workspace to another.

On Fedora 15, if I wanted to open a new window to a new workspace, then I had to move the mouse from one end of the monitor to another.

Gnome-shell is no made for people that like to use the mouse. It is probably good when it comes to the keyboard.

BigSilly
April 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Suppose you are using your computer with one hand on the mouse and one hand holding beer:

:D :D :D

Well I suppose when you put it like that...!

I'm typically someone who didn't much take to the desktop 3D cube. It's pretty and all, but I never really got into it or the idea of virtual desktops. But with Gnome 3, personally I feel it makes sense to me and I'm now using them when I never did before with the multifarious Compiz effects. I feel that they've simplified the whole idea and made it approachable for regular folks like me. There might be cries of "n00bDE" or whatever, but to me the beauty of it is in how it's now clear and simple to be a multi-desktop user and feel all clever. I salute that.

Like I say I don't especially feel that I'm using more mouse clicks, and if anything the mouse moves seem neither here nor there when getting around it, and it feels quick and easy. That's a great thing for me, if no-one else! :D

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM

How small is your desk that you can't put the beer down for a second?

BrokenKingpin
April 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Downloading Xubuntu to have another very serious look!

XFCE is where I have landed after all of this, and I am loving it.

uRock
April 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Putting the beer down? Blasphemy! :P

beew
April 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Is it normal to have so many people saying they are upset and want to quit Ubuntu the next day after a new release?:confused:

It seems that most responses on the forum is not terribly enthusiastic regarding Natty, I remember the reception to Maverick was very different and overall quite positive (didn't know any history before that, I started Ubuntu 2 months after Lucid was released :))

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM

How big is your house that you need a remote control for your TV. So to do something, I need to "put down the beer, move my hand, do whatever, get back to the beer". Fast and good interface ....

Now, lets try this with eating greasy chips or popcorn with butter. Do I have to "get up, wash my hands, get back to the computer, do whatever".

Of course, now you are going to mention something about eating healthy. So I have to find an example with messy healthy food ...

tjeremiah
April 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Is it normal to have so many people saying they are upset and want to quit Ubuntu the next day after a new release?:confused:

yes, especially after the top buttons switched to the left.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hi!

I love 11.04 & the whole Ubuntu experience.

I guess I'm very old school.

Classic just fits my needs perfectly.

If I lose classic, I'll have to move on, which I don't want to.

Xubuntu has been my backup distro, looking at it now on my test machine.

KegHead

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM

It seems that most responses on the forum is not terribly enthusiastic regarding Natty, I remember the reception to Maverick was very different and overall quite positive (didn't know any history before that, I started Ubuntu 2 months after Lucid was released :))

Are you sure you were on this forum. 10.10 was like the tale of Maverick Meerkat and the 40 Trolls. Everybody who got even a minor glitch on upgrade was calling this the biggest disaster in the history of mankind.

uRock
April 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM

I needed a mental mop to clean up all of the tears when the window buttons were moved to the left. Many people do not like change, even if it is for the good.

For me, having the buttons on the left and close by the menu makes it much faster to close one application and go for the next thing on my to do list. People argued that they had to go out of the way to close a window, but my mouse only goes to the right side of the screen to click the power button or sound button, which isn't often.

I came to Ubuntu looking for something different, so seeing people get excited when Ubuntu doesn't look like Windows XP seems kind of odd to me.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I needed a mental mop to clean up all of the tears when the window buttons were moved to the left.

Me too!

KegHead

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I needed a mental mop to clean up all of the tears when the window buttons were moved to the left. Many people do not like change, even if it is for the good.

I remember that, it was tales from 1001 Trolls. And the worst part was that you can change the buttons with three mouse clicks.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM

For me, having the buttons on the left and close by the menu makes it much faster to close one application and go for the next thing on my to do list. People argued that they had to go out of the way to close a window, but my mouse only goes to the right side of the screen to click the power button or sound button, which isn't often.

I came to Ubuntu looking for something different, so seeing people get excited when Ubuntu doesn't look like Windows XP seems kind of odd to me.

The buttons can be switched back to the right easily in 10.04 and 10.10

I don't care either way and I have different installations, depending on the theme they are sometimes on the right or the left, but I can't see how it is functionality more advantageous if the buttons are on the left. I am quite neutral about it.

But what happens to the choice to put your buttons on the right or the left? You can't choose anymore in Unity. Like I said I am quite neutral on this but what about people who are say lefthanded or for some reasons find it easier to use buttons on the right? If you claim it is somehow easier and faster for you if the buttons are on the left then you have to accept that it can be the opposite to some people. That choice is now taken away. Removing choice is not good. Before the default has changed but the choice has not been removed.

Unity is different in that it removes choice and options.

P.S. There is except one mild annoyance, I use emerald and I like the colour of its default theme, but its buttons are on the right, so if I install that the buttons will switch between left and right depending on whether the window is maximized or not. I can deal with the buttons on either size but not when they move both ways! I end up with a different theme.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
But what happens to the choice to put your buttons on the right or the left? You can't choose anymore in Unity.

Unity does need more customization options, but don't forget that this is just the first iteration. And you can move the buttons in Unity just like you could in 10.10. Most people simply don't realize that Unity is simply Gnome2 in disguise.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:27 PM
And you can move the buttons in Unity just like you could in 10.10.

What if the window is maximized and the buttons on the top panel? I don't think you can move them to the right. So if you change the buttons to the right they will only stay on the right if the windows are not maximized. So you have a situation where buttons move from left to right depending on whether the windows are maximized. Unless you don't mind that basically you have to keep the buttons to the left, i.e . no more choice.

uRock
April 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Unity does need more customization options, but don't forget that this is just the first iteration. And you can move the buttons in Unity just like you could in 10.10. Most people simply don't realize that Unity is simply Gnome2 in disguise.

I am sure they will have it more customizable by the time the 12.04LTS releases. The non-LTS release are the testing and tweaking grounds for the LTS releases.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
What if the window is maximized and the buttons on the top panel? I don't think you can move them to the right. So if you change the buttons to the right they will only stay on the right if the windows are not maximized. So you have a situation where buttons move from left to right depending on whether the windows are maximized. Unless you don't mind that basically you have to keep the buttons to the left, i.e . no more choice.

Yes, you are right about this one. I just hardly ever use full-screen mode.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
The non-LTS release are the testing and tweaking grounds for the LTS releases.

Yeah I can appreciate that but then why is there a popup in my 10.10 install to invite me to upgrade?? I have the sense to decline ( I have been testing Natty since alpha) but what if I am new user and click accept and end up with a broken system?

uRock
April 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah I can appreciate that but then why is there a popup in my 10.10 install to invite me to upgrade?? I have the sense to decline ( I have been testing Natty since alpha) but what if I am new user and click accept and end up with a broken system?

Change your settings in Software Sources via the Edit menu in the Ubuntu Software Center.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
is it possible to access the conventional gnome menu hierarchy from within 10.04/Unity without logging into classic?

If I could find a way to use existing gnome-panel applets, the problem would be moot.

Something like the attached, perhaps as a system tray applet, would ease the transition substantially.

I also made a support thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743338) asking if anyone was aware of a method.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Using CCSM to disable the top panel and then adding a second Gnome-panel should do the trick. I am just not completely sure if disabling the top panel is possible (under Compiz).

bcarlowise
Personally, I like both Unity and Gnome3. Gnome2 is quite dated and both Unity and Gnome3 do a good job of making the Desktop look fresh and more modern. Usability is pretty good after one's had a chance to get used to the different look, feel and way to do things. At first I did NOT like Unity or Gnome3 but after using them both for a week or so my mind has changed. I prefer Gnome3 over Unity and will ultimately and would like to use it moving forward but I like Ubuntu and since it is moving forward away from Gnome I may end up having to go to another distro...or just use Unity.

beew
is it possible to access the conventional gnome menu hierarchy from within 10.04/Unity without logging into classic?

If I could find a way to use existing gnome-panel applets, the problem would be moot.

Something like the attached, perhaps as a system tray applet, would ease the transition substantially.

I also made a support thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743338) asking if anyone was aware of a method.

I would like that as well, it would be a lot more efficient than using the dash (which takes up 3/4 of the screen if not the whole screen when it opens) They could implement that in the Unity bar like in AWN or the Cairo-Dock but I doubt that they will since the dash is one of those design features and judging from the approach to Unity they would want to force you to use it. Mark Shuttleworth would insist that the menu option not be implemented even if they could because of some half baked design philosophy. I am waiting for a third party fix which I am confident would come at some point.

beew
April 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Using CCSM to disable the top panel and then adding a second Gnome-panel should do the trick. I am just not completely sure if disabling the top panel is possible (under Compiz).

You can enable the gnome panel in the top by typing gnome-panel in the terminal but then all maximized windows would have no buttons! Maximized windows now go all the way to the top unlike before.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM
You can enable the gnome panel in the top by typing gnome-panel in the terminal but then all maximized windows would have no buttons! Maximized windows now go all the way to the top unlike before.

i saw that -- and gnome-panel refuses to go to the bottom of the screen, for some reason. when i click 'bottom' in 'orientation', it just kind of ignores me and still says 'top'.

(was trying to have a gnome-panel, autohide, bottom of screen, with nothing but the gnome menu on that panel...)

someone else want to verify that it isn't just me that this refusal is happening for?

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
i saw that -- and gnome-panel refuses to go to the bottom of the screen, for some reason. when i click 'bottom' in 'orientation', it just kind of ignores me and still says 'top'.

(was trying to have a gnome-panel, autohide, bottom of screen, with nothing but the gnome menu on that panel...)

someone else want to verify that it isn't just me that this refusal is happening for?

You get Gnome-panel on the bottom if you simply go into Classic mode.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM

yes, but then i won't be able to familiarize myself with the new Unity interface moving forward. the intent is something temporary to ease the transition while i explore unity, not to stick with gnome2 forever. :P

beew
April 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Actually, let's not forget that no one has to upgrade, 10.10 is barely 6 months old and it still has a whole year of support and it is rock solid by most accounts. So why "upgrade" to 11.04 and use the classic desktop?

I think the point is to find out more about Unity and see what features can be added to improve its functionality so that it will become a better UI. Between now and 12.04 a lot can happen, and once it is out it is no longer dictated by canonical, there will be third party tweaks and features even if Canonical doesn't implement them.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hi1

I'm using 11.04/classic because I actually tested 11.04 since a1.

I just found Unity not for me. (great for most folks!)

11.04 is actually bleeding edge for me from a technology standpoint. Unity isn't.

KegHead

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I think the point is to find out more about Unity and see what features can be added to improve its functionality so that it will become a better UI. Between now and 12.04 a lot can happen, and once it is out it is no longer dictated by canonical, there will be third party tweaks and features even if Canonical doesn't implement them.

Yes, thank you.

We all know that one can merely use Ubuntu 10.10 (as I am with my production desktop, for now), and we all know that there is a 'classic' option in 11.04, and we all know that we can abandon Ubuntu all-together.

None of those options, however, is going to familiarize anyone with Unity or ease the transition or, moving forward "the day(s) after", allow anyone to become just as quick/efficient at tasks in Unity as they were in gnome2 - and I think, for those of us not attempting any of the three options above (don't upgrade, use gnome2, or leave Ubuntu), that is the goal we all share.

So if we're going to talk about Unity, let's talk about what/how/etc can be done from within Unity. Everything to gain, nothing to lose. :D

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
So if we're going to talk about Unity, let's talk about what/how/etc can be done from within Unity.

So please tell me,where is the advantage of unity?
I cannot see any increase of usability at all after 2 days working
with it.What can be done faster/easier?
I do not want to leave ubuntu when 11.10 is out and I have to use unity.

jdunn
April 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I made a clean install of Natty beta 2 two weeks ago and have been using it since. Now its up-to-date with the release of Natty. I was used to Gnome Classic and although Unity is very different, it only took me just a few hours to get comfortable using it. I have only three hangups with Unity: 1) The Applications menu shows "frequently used" and "apps available for download" whether I want to see them or not. 2) A small number of applications don't play well out-of-the-box with Unity, particularly TrueCrypt which relies on a status-bar icon but there's a workaround to fix it. 3) Creating an application menu item is currently a hassle...requires a text-editor to create a .desktop file.

Overall, I like Unity. The launcher is easy to use and pin apps to. it makes sense to have the launcher on the side because most displays are widescreen with less vertical resolution than horizontal. The launcher also hides if you expand an app to full-screen but moving the mouse to the extreme-left unhides it momentarily. My favorite part of Unity is the Workspace Switcher...moving apps between workspace desktops was never easier.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
So if we're going to talk about Unity, let's talk about what/how/etc can be done from within Unity.

So please tell me,where is the advantage of unity?
I cannot see any increase of usability at all after 2 days working
with it.What can be done faster/easier?

If I knew, I'd tell you. If we assume that Ubuntu developers aren't insane, though, then there must be something that isn't immediately obvious after 2 days of usage.... :D

(ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste also isn't obvious after 2 days of usage - nor has it ever been - and yet most of us have been doing it for over 10 years and wouldn't have it any other way.)

That is why I'm trying to encourage us all to spend more time exploring, and less time in ubuntu classic (for those able/willing). Maybe you will find something I haven't, or vice versa?

:D

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hi!

For me over 30 years!

Not sure about the able/willing.

Too old school.

I want Norton Desktop for windows back!

KegHead

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
it makes sense to have the launcher on the side because most displays are widescreen with less vertical resolution than horizontal. The launcher also hides if you expand an app to full-screen but moving the mouse to the extreme-left unhides it momentarily. My favorite part of Unity is the Workspace Switcher...moving apps between workspace desktops was never easier.

?
I do not move apps through desktops so often.
But I want to reach an opened app fast,regardless on which workspace it is.
Gnome + Compiz + Bottom panel lets me do this with 1 click.Not to mention
the horror with unity when you have opened more instances of an app.
And the left side panel is a question of screen size,,btw,it was always possible to move gnome panels/docky/AWN to the left or wherever you want.

Peter09
April 29th, 2011, 09:31 PM
But I want to reach an opened app fast,regardless on which workspace it is.
Gnome + Compiz + Bottom panel lets me do this with 1 click.

Confused ..... isn't that what happens when you click on the icon in the launcher if the app is active?

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Confused ..... isn't that what happens when you click on the icon in the launcher if the app is active?
Yes,but have to open the "Unity" (just another dock on the left btw ;-) )
first by moving the mouse to the left (don't always want to use my left arm
to press "super"),waiting until unity has finished opening at last after half a second(no,I do not want unity 2D which is faster),then browse through icons which all look the same (shape),then click that icon.

realzippy
April 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hi!

I want Norton Desktop for windows back!

KegHead

Who needs norton for windows ?
I need mc for linux...

ohdung
April 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I'm actually switching back to Windows.

11.4 was a big disappointment, and yes - I am aware that I can switch back to classic mode - but it's not just the GUI - it's the over all feel, the new default apps..

I've always had Ubuntu running on a machine since 2006 but not any more. Which is kind of sad really.

Swagman
April 29th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I feel like I've been left behind. (The (last) bus left without me)

Everytime I've tried Natty on live USB it quickly b0rked... never had that dock on the left either.

So...

I'll stay waiting at the bus stop.

earthpigg
April 29th, 2011, 10:50 PM

11.4 was a big disappointment, and yes - I am aware that I can switch back to classic mode - but it's not just the GUI - it's the over all feel, the new default apps..

I've always had Ubuntu running on a machine since 2006 but not any more. Which is kind of sad really.

Best of luck to you, feel free to let is know the good and the bad of the transition.

nattynarwhal
April 29th, 2011, 11:00 PM

I am lolling inside. Are you serious, or just being dramatic? You do realise that Ubuntu doesn't own the Linux universe, right? There are many other options to go for, before resorting to Windows...

cgroza
April 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
You will see that people will start accepting it. I am sure that reactions like this one happened many times in the history of Linux.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Hi!

The chatter I'm getting is video cards .

KegHead

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM

You can't install the apps you want and remove the ones you don't...like everyone else does? Yea...run (don't walk) back to Windows. I'm sure you'll love all those awesome Windows default apps. Have fun with Internet Explorer and your 30-day trial of Office. ):P

earthpigg
April 30th, 2011, 12:34 AM
You can't install the apps you want and remove the ones you don't...like everyone else does? Yea...run (don't walk) back to Windows. I'm sure you'll love all those awesome Windows default apps. Have fun with Internet Explorer and your 30-day trial of Office. ):P

Come on now, be nice.

People come and go, with or without any new Unity interface. People that come aren't automatically assets, and people that go aren't automatically taking anything beneficial (to those of us staying) with them.

So, no big deal and no cause for undue negative emotions.

KegHead
April 30th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hi!

I'm afraid I created a monster w/this thread.

KegHead

NCLI
April 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Personally, I like both Unity and Gnome3. Gnome2 is quite dated and both Unity and Gnome3 do a good job of making the Desktop look fresh and more modern. Usability is pretty good after one's had a chance to get used to the different look, feel and way to do things. At first I did NOT like Unity or Gnome3 but after using them both for a week or so my mind has changed. I prefer Gnome3 over Unity and will ultimately and would like to use it moving forward but I like Ubuntu and since it is moving forward away from Gnome I may end up having to go to another distro...or just use Unity.
11.10 will use Gnome 3, and will be fully compatible with Gnome Shell, so there's no need to go anywhere if you can just wait another six months ;)

Yes,but have to open the "Unity" (just another dock on the left btw ;-) )
first by moving the mouse to the left (don't always want to use my left arm
to press "super"),waiting until unity has finished opening at last after half a second(no,I do not want unity 2D which is faster),then browse through icons which all look the same (shape),then click that icon.
1. It's called the launcher ;)
2. You can set it not to auto-hide in CompizConfigSettingsManager.

I feel like I've been left behind. (The (last) bus left without me)

Everytime I've tried Natty on live USB it quickly b0rked... never had that dock on the left either.

So...

I'll stay waiting at the bus stop.
And of course, you reported a bug on this behavior so that the developers could know that your hardware had a problem with 11.04.

Elfy
April 30th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Thread closed.

Please see Recurring discussions.