PDA

View Full Version : So much has changed in 3-4 years

ade234uk
May 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I can remember installing Linux Mandrake 8, and I can remember what a pig everything was to get running. In the end I would just give up and go back to Windows.

I can remember running Dreamweaver MX through Crossover Office it was so buggy that the when you dragged the Window rubberbands where left on the screen. It was unusable. It would freeze.

Compare that to now, when I boot Dreamweaver MX it runs as well as it does in Windows. No hangs ups and no rubberbanding.

I can remember that they only available browser was konqueror there where probably more but I could never be bothered to find. Konqueror did not feel right, and this made it difficult to accept the change from IE

Compare that to now, I now use Firefox and Epiphany and they are better than IE

Trying to install the NVIDIA involved init this and init that, downloading the driver, unpacking and then getting numerous error messages. Also I had to configure xorg.conf file and after about three days screwing I finally sorted it.

Compare this to now I fire up Automatix and everything is done for me.

Back then I used KDE, Gnome seemed plain ugly. I felt unusable. It was weird. The file manager was weird.

Compare this to now, I can use Gnome its a lovely Window Manager and better than XP.

I wonder what the next three years will bring the way of innovation.

Hey I might even install Mandrake 8 and appreciate all the hard far Linux has come. Can I use VM player to do this.

aysiu
May 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I remember even in 2005, not every distribution had automount of USB devices. A lot has changed in even one year!

dlai
May 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yes the linux community and the software around it is truly evolving in a pace not foreseeable by anyone!

Rackerz
May 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Thing sure have come a long way, even last year I wouln't have dreamt of installing any distribution of Linux on my computer. But now I'm using Dapper and Breezy.

mstlyevil
May 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Some distros are easier to install than Windows now. You can install distros like Mepis6 or PCLinuix in no time flat with very little configuration and have a fully operable operating system in 25-30 minutes. Linux is moving along very fast and is almost ready to give Windows a good run for the money.

Now if there was more proprietary software like games made native to Linux, it would be ready for the public at large.

unbuntu
May 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I remember even in 2005, not every distribution had automount of USB devices. A lot has changed in even one year!

That's true. I hadn't used Linux for a while, and last year when I first touched Ubuntu I was impressed that all the USB devices are mounted without problem and even DVD-RW works.

GeneralZod
May 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, all desktop linux development prior to some time in 2004 was merely a dress-rehearsal. Some time in early 2004, things kicked off with a vengeance and progress since then has been simply dizzying. Here's hoping it keeps up! :D

kanem
May 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
In my opinion, all desktop linux development prior to some time in 2004 was merely a dress-rehearsal. Some time in early 2004, things kicked off with a vengeance and progress since then has been simply dizzying. Here's hoping it keeps up! :D
Yeah, whenever I hear someone say that line that goes something like:
People are saying this is the year of desktop linux, but they said that in 2000 and every year afterwards, but it still hasn't happenedI say "Nope, the year of desktop linux happened in 2004. You just missed it."

I think alot of the easy hardware support, HAL, automounting, burning cds without SCSI emulation, etc were not possible until kernel 2.6 came out.

ComplexNumber
May 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I say "Nope, the year of desktop linux happened in 2004. You just missed it."
question is, will anyone know when The Year of Desktop Linux is achieved. its probably going to be one of those things that will happen so gradually, that people will already be several years into it before they even realise.

Rackerz
May 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
question is, will anyone know when The Year of Desktop Linux is achieved. its probably going to be one of those things that will happen so gradually, that people will already be several years into it before they even realise.

I agree, it wont just happen. It's happening right infront of us, all around us. Everytime someone new loads up that Linux desktop Linux gains another and another. Linux has become so much better because of it's rising popularity. I hope it keeps up I enjoy what I see.

asimon
May 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
question is, will anyone know when The Year of Desktop Linux is achieved.
I dunno when it happens to you, but my Year of the Desktop Linux was 1994. ;-)