PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very slow upgrade?

G1ZmO65
April 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
My 10.10 to 11.04 upgrade has been running now for 2 hours and says it has 15 hours left!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Are the servers just max'ed out with people upgrading?

Wee bit worried too after seeing posts that say that some Nvidia cards aren't working with 11.04 but I'll have to wait and see for mine. (Quadro FX 3800)

jaka
April 28th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Do you have ftth, vdsl, adsl or cabel? You have wait today is rush hour because of new releases. I have at home ftth 100/10 speed. For downloading the files i needed 2 minutes. For install the updates an hour and a half.

sikander3786
April 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Might be you are suffering a slow bandwidth or server overload problems. You could've selected the most responsive server from Software Sources using 'Choose best server' but not much helpful now. All you need to do now is to fail and let the upgrade process complete un-interrupted.

The best way to upgrade to a newer release is to first test it from a Live CD/USB (desktop) and see if all of your hardware works. Hope it would be successful and everything will work for you :-)

Please let us know about your graphics card performance with Natty.

G1ZmO65
April 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Cable - I normally get downloads at around 1meg/sec but only getting around 30k just now "getting new packages"

Yes, I should have run the live cd which I did download but was impatient and just selected upgrade once the live cd finished burning :P

Anony-X
April 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm having same problem, got an 8MB line which kicks out a DL of around 700kbs and im riding on as low as 16KBS at times with 11hours remaining, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Elfy
April 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Everyone is trying to do the same thing, it'll get there in the end.

gyyug78fg87ogguiioioioioi
April 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Do you have ftth, vdsl, adsl or cabel? You have wait today is rush hour because of new releases. I have at home ftth 100/10 speed. For downloading the files i needed 2 minutes. For install the updates an hour and a half.
wow 2 minutes?? god i used 3 and a half hour:(

coreytrice
April 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm running an upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, and it is taking forever. I think everyone is downloading at the same time. I have been at it for about 4 hours now and still have 200 packages out of 1300 left to download. Every once in a while the download speeds will jump up around 200kB/s but it is mostly running between 8k and 56k. Very frustrating. I should have just waited until next week.

G1ZmO65
April 28th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Guess I'll need to just wait then (or go to bed)

/me tries grabbing the "Distribution Upgrade" window and shaking it :P

G1ZmO65
April 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Wait until next week? Noooooo

coreytrice
April 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM
And it's not my wireless connection which is at 72Mb/s or my internet connection because I've been watching Hulu all afternoon on my Mac while waiting for this download to finish. And to answer the question before it's asked... no the speed doesn't pick up when I'm not watching Hulu.

coreytrice
April 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Wait until next week? Noooooo

Yeah, I probably should have waited because of the release today. I was considering going up to 11.04 after 10.10 but with the way this one is going I think I will wait on that upgrade for a while.

jaka
April 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
wow 2 minutes?? god i used 3 and a half hour:(

Yes i have fiber to the home my download speed is 100 Mbit/s.

AJorink
April 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm experiencing the same thing.
Download speed is around 33.2kB/s where this is normally around 2000kB/s.
Download will take around 14 hours to complete.

Updating my laptop from work.
Tomorrow early shift on the support desk.
Pray that everything works or there will be a lot of unhappy customers.:(

G1ZmO65
April 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Right, well I'm leaving mine to run and will hope for the best. Off to bed and will check it in the morning :)

kc1di
April 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
synaptic downloads and updates are very slow today I can only guess the number of hits the server must be taking. my download speed generally run between 500 and 900 Mb/s but today only getting 40 to 50 kb/s awfully slow.
:)

AJorink
April 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Right, well I'm leaving mine to run and will hope for the best. Off to bed and will check it in the morning :)

I'm guessing that is al I can do to.

1roxtar
April 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
My 10.10 to 11.04 upgrade has been running now for 2 hours and says it has 15 hours left!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Are the servers just max'ed out with people upgrading?

Wee bit worried too after seeing posts that say that some Nvidia cards aren't working with 11.04 but I'll have to wait and see for mine. (Quadro FX 3800)

You should try upgrading from the 11.04 Final LiveCD. I did it with two machines (using the Beta 2 LiveCD, in fact) and it only took 15 minutes to complete and it worked great. I had no problems. Upgrading through a wired internet connection can take a loooong time. I am really glad to know that it can now be done via the LiveCD. *Two Thumbs Up*

tometaster
April 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Agree with earlier post that you need to choose the best server in your "Software Sources" (or via "settings" in the Update Manager app) before you start your upgrade.

Initially I had the "Main Server" which said the upgrade will take 12 hours. I canceled the process and selected the best server. The time dropped to 6 minutes. Few things to note.

1. You can cancel the upgrade process when it is downloading files. No issues
2. Once you select the "best server" and start the upgrade again, it starts from where it left off. Nice!

Ideally, it would be nice if the system automatically selected the best server before starting a major upgrade without the user having to do it manually.

sikander3786
April 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Agree with earlier post that you need to choose the best server in your "Software Sources" (or via "settings" in the Update Manager app) before you start your upgrade.

Initially I had the "Main Server" which said the upgrade will take 12 hours. I canceled the process and selected the best server. The time dropped to 6 minutes. Few things to note.

1. You can cancel the upgrade process when it is downloading files. No issues
2. Once you select the "best server" and start the upgrade again, it starts from where it left off. Nice!

Ideally, it would be nice if the system automatically selected the best server before starting a major upgrade without the user having to do it manually.
But don't ever cancel the process when it is configuring/installing packages :-)

totalanonymity
April 29th, 2011, 01:47 AM
DEFINITELY choose the best server!

Mine was saying estimated 15 hours before starting the package downloads and then 1-2 days when actually downloading them while moving at just several kilobytes a second as well.

I chose my best server and now it has an estimated 16 minutes. :)

G1ZmO65
April 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Well mine stopped sometime during the night to prompt me whether to upgrade samba or not. Needless to say I've had to continue the install from there but it's only estimating another 15 mins now.....back in a bit

G1ZmO65
April 29th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Not good.

After restarting I get a grub error

I'll start a new thread entitled: symbol not found: grub_env_export

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742655

heldal
April 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM
You should try upgrading from the 11.04 Final LiveCD. I did it with two machines (using the Beta 2 LiveCD, in fact) and it only took 15 minutes to complete and it worked great. I had no problems. Upgrading through a wired internet connection can take a loooong time. I am really glad to know that it can now be done via the LiveCD. *Two Thumbs Up*

A LiveCD has a limited set of packages. The better alternative is to download a complete DVD image (use bittorrent when servers as as busy as they are now), burn it to a disc and use that for offline upgrade and installations. Torrent-files can be found in various places (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download#dvd). Because it includes more software the DVD is also a more powerful tool for troubleshooting computers offline than a LiveCD.

noworldorder
April 29th, 2011, 08:03 AM
sorry but how do you select the best server?

sikander3786
April 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
sorry but how do you select the best server?
Go to Software Center > Edit > Software Sources > From Download Server, choose 'Other'. In the new window, click 'Choose best server'. It would ping all the servers and choose the best one.