PDA

View Full Version : "Designed for Ubuntu"-stickers!

MenZa
May 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
http://www.menza.org/random/ubuntusticker1.jpg

http://www.menza.org/random/ubuntusticker2.jpg

http://www.menza.org/random/ubuntusticker3.jpg

http://www.menza.org/random/ubuntusticker4.jpg

Since I just started working at a printer-shop not too long ago, I thought I'd print some stickers--and they're a reality.

After messing about with some vectors in Illustrator on my employers computer, I finally got a good result.

If you want any of these, just let me know. I have plenty--although I will require a few bucks for p&p.

I'll post later when I'm ready to ship out.

They are in two sizes.

EDIT: See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1016173&postcount=35) for Kubuntu and Edubuntu stickers :)

briancurtin
May 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
i think its pretty cool, but your acer and dell werent designed for ubuntu. false advertising!

GaFFy
May 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
i would like a design like that on a hat! :-D

PatrickMay16
May 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Heh! Heh! These sure are some good stickers. But heck, man... I dunno about this. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. You see, I may not use Ubuntu forever; one day I could switch to Debian or Gentoo, or even Windows. You never know what the future holds. OUUUUUUUUURGH!! But still, I'd like to reiterate that these are some good looking stickers.

MenZa
May 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks. One of my mates suggested that I change it to 'Powered by...' instead of 'Designed for...', so I'll be doing that on Saturday or so.

I'll keep you all notified. Thanks for your comments :)

wthanna
May 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
..just want to chime in on the hat idea.. That would be great!

digen
May 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Is it possible for you to share the image you have used for the sticker? If yes then I would like to ask for your permission for printing them & distributing within my friends circle.Do let me know.

MenZa
May 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
..just want to chime in on the hat idea.. That would be great!

Yeah, well. I don't know if you can run a hat through our printer--you can with T-shirts, though.

Master Shake
May 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM
How about stickers that reads "Works with Ubuntu Linux"

That way we could take them to a store that sells computer equipment, and put this on the boxes of computers, printers, et. al. that we know work with Ubuntu.

wthanna
May 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM

That way we could take them to a store that sells computer equipment, and put this on the boxes of computers, printers, et. al. that we know work with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu "taggers" on the loose! :mrgreen:

MenZa
May 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Not a bad idea, I'll consider it (man, I'm gonna be busy sending out all these stickers ;\)

matthew
May 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks. One of my mates suggested that I change it to 'Powered by...' instead of 'Designed for...', so I'll be doing that on Saturday or so.

I'll keep you all notified. Thanks for your comments :)I have one on my computer that says, "Revived with Ubuntu Linux"

Sgood1971
May 12th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I have one on my computer that says, "Revived with Ubuntu Linux"
I like this one a lot since I have revived 4 pc's with Ubuntu.

jdong
May 12th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Very cool. I'd be interested in some of these, when you are ready.

jason.b.c
May 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
:D How about some stickers to cover up the windows key on a keyboard.??

( man, I'm gonna be busy sending out all these stickers )

So thats something you would be willing to do.?? Cool.!, I'd like to get in on that..8)

benplaut
May 12th, 2006, 05:09 AM
how about one that just says 'ubuntu'?

sheesh...

nalmeth
May 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
How about
"Rescued By Ubuntu"
:mrgreen:

Seriously though, it would be cool to have a bunch of stickers that say
"Ubuntu Friendly"

Or just "Linux Friendly" While we're at it.

If you can make some with tux and some with ubuntu or debian, I will totally send you some money for some!

Maybe some linux un-friendly stickers too :)

:grin: How about some stickers to cover up the windows key on a keyboard.??

That's cool too.

( man, I'm gonna be busy sending out all these stickers )
You could make some dough too!

MenZa
May 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Is it possible for you to share the image you have used for the sticker? If yes then I would like to ask for your permission for printing them & distributing within my friends circle.Do let me know.

Yeah, sure--I have the .EPS file at work, so I'll send it to you sometime.

Wow, that's a pretty cool sticker.

So thats something you would be willing to do.?? Cool.!, I'd like to get in on that..8)

Yeah, I am--like ShipIt. But I can't afford to send them entirely for free, I need a bit for envelopes and postage.

You could make some dough too!

Nah, that wouldn't be true to the spirit of Ubuntu, would it ;)?

jdong
May 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
It could very well be... You should compensate reasonably for your time/efforts... I'm wsure we'd all understand that.

cbudden
May 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Maybe if you asked the Ubuntu Team/shipit really nicely, they could include a couple of stickers with the Ubuntu CD's.

GarethMB
May 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
They look cool. But put whatever you like on them...as long as it makes sense.

TeeAhr1
May 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Awesome!

EDIT: What kind of paper do you use for this? (Include a part number if you know it.) I'm a printer too, and I'm the guy who makes the supply orders...*mwa-ha-ha*

matthew
May 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Awesome!

EDIT: What kind of paper do you use for this? (Include a part number if you know it.) I'm a printer too, and I'm the guy who makes the supply orders...*mwa-ha-ha*Confession: I just printed it on paper and the used clear adhesive plastic (like you use to like shelves or drawers) to put it on my laptop near the keyboard.

TeeAhr1
May 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Clever. Nicely done!

Kernel Sanders
May 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
You should make some "Powered By Freedom" stickers :cool:

KUTGW :D

John 8)

Engnome
May 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Paper or vinyl? will it last? The new XP sticker are in some sort of metall. Seems really nice. Not the logo but the material. Ive been trying to buy some of these http://linux-schlepptops.de/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=28 but its in german and the shop just doesnt work](*,)

If you change it to powered by Im interested. Will you ship to the EU?

MenZa
May 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Paper or vinyl?

It's glossy vinyl, I don't know for certain what kind though--although it is a bit glossy. Very nice.

jason.b.c
May 13th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Yeah, sure--I have the .EPS file at work, so I'll send it to you sometime.

Wow, that's a pretty cool sticker.

Yeah, I am--like ShipIt. But I can't afford to send them entirely for free, I need a bit for envelopes and postage.

You should compensate reasonably for your time/efforts... I'm wsure we'd all understand that.

I could agree with that..:)

But I can't afford to send them entirely for free, I need a bit for envelopes and postage.

Thats cool then, How much do ya think would be fair..???:-k

Dr_Deadmeat
May 13th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I want those stickers =D

It would be really awesome it they were shipped with the dapper cd's =D

JoshHendo
May 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Woa! Heaps cool!

I am assuming you would take PP for p&p for when you are ready to send them out :P (I would get some :)).

We should set up a fund so people can order them like shipit :)

I think you should have 1 for computers and another one for products.
"Powered by..." for computers and
"Works with Ubuntu" for products :P

pitkali
May 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'd like some powered by stickers too :)

Can I pay with paypal? How much for shipping to EU (Poland)?

MenZa
May 13th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Wow, these are really getting popular :o

I'm happy you'd be willing to pay a bit--I'll keep it cheap though ;)-

I print it on Grafitape S12P.

But yeah, when I'm setting it up, it'll be PayPal payments. I'll be sending them in packs of 3 or 4, and perhaps charge $5-10, depending on where they're shipped.

Mathias-K
May 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Good to see another wave of stickermania :)

I think Powered By Ubuntu is much more fitting than Designed For Ubuntu, which is mostly untrue.

MenZa
May 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Good to see another wave of stickermania :)

I think Powered By Ubuntu is much more fitting than Designed For Ubuntu, which is mostly untrue.

My initial plan was just supposed to be a sticker for myself, and perhaps for my near friends, but a lot of people seem to be interested--and I agree, 'Powered by..' is much better than the other.

MenZa
May 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Right, an update that will please the Ku- and Edubuntu users:

http://www.menza.org/random/ku_edu_buntu.png

Choose your flavour (:

Edit:

Right, this isn't uber-great quality--they're much higher quality IRL--but here's an image showing them, a bit more detailed than my images:

http://www.menza.org/random/ubuntu_stickers_all.jpg

The blue outline is just to display where their borders are.

Klaidas
May 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Now that's cool ;)8)

MenZa
May 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Now that's cool ;)8)

Thanks man, I thought it'd be better if there were stickers for everybody. I'll do some Xubuntu ones aswell, once they've settled on an official logo :)

TeeAhr1
May 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hey, glad to see this thread's still strong. I was just about to ask about Xubuntu stickers, you read my mind!

I googled for grafitape, but actually came up with nothing but this thread. Where do you get it? Anytime I can abuse company facilities to further the forces of Good, I'm down with that :mrgreen:

Mathias-K
May 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Wow, they are great!

WildTangent
May 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
/me wants..NOW! I shall see about getting some money in my PayPal account...I could sit and look at advertisements for an hour and make some money :-P

-Wild

GarethMB
May 15th, 2006, 02:18 PM
/me wants..NOW! I shall see about getting some money in my PayPal account...I could sit and look at advertisements for an hour and make some money :-P

-WildYou get paid to look at adverts?? :S

Onyros
May 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1002/mymini0om.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mymini0om.jpg)

^ ^ that's what I'm talking about in my sig :P

:D :D :D

GarethMB
May 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1002/mymini0om.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mymini0om.jpg)

^ ^ that's what I'm talking about in my sig :P

:D :D :D
Ha my PC is better than yours it has 4 USB Ports.

Onyros
May 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ha my PC is better than yours it has 4 USB Ports.HAHA! Mine has two more at the back :P

And I bet yours doesn't have a beautiful "Powered by Ubuntu Linux" sticker like mine mwahaha!

MenZa
May 15th, 2006, 04:24 PM
/me wants..NOW!

Thou shalt have :)
--and thanks for the excitement :D

HAHA! Mine has two more at the back :P

And I bet yours doesn't have a beautiful "Powered by Ubuntu Linux" sticker like mine mwahaha!

Mine are even prettier ;)

zachtib
May 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
so, can we order these yet?

Zombie process
May 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM

To make money for your work selling printed copies? of course it would!!

What you can do to be as "freedom/freesoft/freeculture friendly" is to distribute the "source code" (your image editor files for the stickers will all layers and stuff). And then to allow people to create, copy, share, print and modify the sticker images... under a creative commons perhaps? or maybe GPLv2 (can be adapted to non-software products)?

offcourse all that is ultimately your choice... but would be really nice to have more free-artwork :D

Also... how much would it cost to ship 5-10 printed stickers to México (the "powered" ones)?

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM
The cost to Mexico? $5 or so should suffice.

I'll be releasing the .EPS files for the stickers, but I'll also setup a service where you're able to order them.
Once I straighten out a few other things.

Mathias-K
May 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I just got the stickers from MenZa and it fit right into the empty spot on my laptop :)

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
What's the Windows XP sticker still doing on it?!

richbarna
May 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Wow !! These stickers are like well COOL !!!!
Like 'em !

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks very much--expect large promotional stickers tonight.

D@niel
May 16th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Can I get them, too? ;)

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'll setup a service where you're able to order them.
Once I straighten out a few other things.

^

Mathias-K
May 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
What's the Windows XP sticker still doing on it?!

As i have to use Windows XP for some tasks, such as my computer science class exam in june, i currently run it on my laptop with Ubuntu in VMWare.

And also because the laptop still is designed for Windows.

matthew
May 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
What's the Windows XP sticker still doing on it?!"Designed for" doesn't necessarliy mean "currently uses." I happen to like the irony of the laptop being designed for WinXP and currently being Powered by Ubuntu.

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
"Designed for" doesn't necessarliy mean "currently uses." I happen to like the irony of the laptop being designed for WinXP and currently being Powered by Ubuntu.

Point taken :)

Klaidas
May 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Ordered some stickers for me and my friends too! :)

MenZa
May 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Right. I just finished organising them, and I'm pleased to say, that I'm almost ready to take orders.

I'm not 100% sure what the cost will be yet, but it won't be high.

With Canonicals blessing, I've got three flavours:

Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu.

Now. Before I start shipping (I've sent to three test-subjects with good feedback), I'd like to know how many would be interested.
Please send me an email (menza at menza period org [where period equals dot, just to confuse spambots further) with the following:

Subject: Ubuntu Stickers

Full name
Forum nick
IM contact information
Country/State/City

If I get enough requests, I'll go purchase more stamps within a few days and get PayPal or similar properly set up.

Edit: 6 responses so far, keep it up :)

pianoboy3333
May 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Although I don't mean to spoil MenZa's little buisiness here, I believe that ubuntu should be a free product no matter what, creating this really isn't hard to do. You can download a archive I made at http://piano.juicemedia.tv/art/ubuntu-sticker.tar.bz2, feel free to do whatever-the-hell you want with it, just mention my name from time to time ;)

Mathias-K
May 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Although I don't mean to spoil MenZa's little buisiness here, I believe that ubuntu should be a free product no matter what, creating this really isn't hard to do. You can download a archive I made at http://piano.juicemedia.tv/ubuntu-sticker.tar.bz2, feel free to do whatever-the-hell you want with it, just mention my name from time to time ;)

Well I think that's up to how you look at it. Canonical does not charge anything for Ubuntu or it's source code, but their services cost money. Actually, if you want to be an Ubuntu partner, you'd have to pay Canonical. Some would see that as a "thing" you buy for money too.

If you take the source you've made, which is nice indeed :), and print it out, you'll have the free product. I think what MenZa sells for a symbolic price is the service that the stickers are going to be sent right to your doorstep - and you don't have to do anything.

I've recieved some, and I can tell you that they're being printed professionally at a printing company. The quality is very high, and it's damn easy for lazy people. I believe that when both options are there, the spirit of Ubuntu remains.

Rikostan
May 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
I would love some of the stickers... message sent!

GarethMB
May 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well I think that's up to how you look at it. Canonical does not charge anything for Ubuntu or it's source code, but their services cost money. Actually, if you want to be an Ubuntu partner, you'd have to pay Canonical. Some would see that as a "thing" you buy for money too.

If you take the source you've made, which is nice indeed :), and print it out, you'll have the free product. I think what MenZa sells for a symbolic price is the service that the stickers are going to be sent right to your doorstep - and you don't have to do anything.

I've recieved some, and I can tell you that they're being printed professionally at a printing company. The quality is very high, and it's damn easy for lazy people. I believe that when both options are there, the spirit of Ubuntu remains.What menza sells covers (barely) his postage and printing costs. Like everyone else here menza has to earn a wage and we can't expect him to do this out of his own pocket. He isn't Canonical and he isn't ShipIt. He's just a person like the rest of us. Ubuntu may be open source, but canonical isn't a charity. They make money selling support, clearly menza can't charge for support their stickers after all, so he needs to compensate his expenses directly.

If anything, i'd consider it less ubuntu for people to expect him to do it all for nothing. Ubuntu's philosophy for means doing right by humanity, and making menza cover all the costs would be the wrong thing IMO.

Klaidas
May 24th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I have just received some stickers from Menza! yay! :)
Very very VERY cool! 8)
I have taken some pictures:
Close-up of powered by Ubuntu (http://stuff.klaidas.tinkle.lt/stickers/DSC03253.JPG)
Computer (http://stuff.klaidas.tinkle.lt/stickers/DSC03258.JPG)
Sticker added! (http://stuff.klaidas.tinkle.lt/stickers/DSC03259.JPG)

Thank you menza ;)

onesojourner
May 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
A guy on the board ordered a bunch from that german store a while back. then redisdributed them in the US. they are awesome. metalic silver and they look great.

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I missed out on that one too.
I work for a company that makes all kinds of labels and signs. I asked for a quote for stickers and magnets(not for the PCs of course) and I was quoted 21 cents each for the 1 inch square stickers and 25 cents each for the 1.5 by 2 inch magnets. We also do static cling stuff too, so I am going to get a quote on those as well.
I can't seem to get anybody to let me buy any ubuntu stickers from them here in the states, so I guess I'll put together my own.

I will post something once I see the finished product and if they look decent enough for people, I'll ship them to people in North America for free or for a very minimal charge to cover shipping only.

peanut butter
May 27th, 2006, 12:52 AM
i believe MetalMusicAddict made some of theese eariler, that is where the ones a previous poster saw the thread is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71614

dirtvoyles
May 29th, 2006, 04:07 AM
If it's possible to get a variety of these shipped to me in the states, I would like to order some. Please feel free to message me as I may not get to check this board as often as I'd like.

Thanks.

MenZa
May 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I've recieved plenty of replies so far. I expect to be able to start shipping within a month.

MenZa
June 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Oh, swag. I lost _everything_ in recent system crash, so you'll all have to e-mail me again.

dada1958
June 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I've been a Mac user for years and those machines are shipped without stickers so I'm not used to that phenomena. The first things I do when I get a PC: get rid of Windows, install Ubuntu and remove those stickers, any stickers :)

%hMa@?b<C
June 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I want one!!. PM me, ill send you a SASE if you live in USA so that you can send the stickers.

katana2k
June 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
dude, this is a great idea. I think we have the same laptop if the one in the pic iis a Dell Inspiron 4100 (128mb ram, 1.06 ghz, 20gb hdd, and so forth). If we do, we have to talk! I have been a linux/(k)ubuntu user since last August and to this day I havent been able to get video drivers (ATI Radeon Mobility M6 (9000)) and this means: No TV-Out and no 3D acceleration. I'm at my wits end! please pm me or email me or something (marshall.ent@gmail.com).

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
are the stickers still available? They seem very nice and I would some, if that's still possible

Jenda
April 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM
el mariachi, I bought them all of from MenZa a while back, and they are sold out - but I have hundreds of a new batch - see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2335813

leftkidney
December 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM
well how about a Linux Penguin and just say powered by Linux

or like those winXP/Vista stickers, have a Penguin and have it say Powered by linux then under that Ubuntu or any other distro for that matter then all you got to do is change the bottom part when printing them out and they all sorta look the same except for the small bottom part with the logo and distro type, above that just powered by Linux and a Penguin

leftkidney
December 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM
look at this

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=65578&file1=65578-1.png&file2=&file3=&name=Vista%20Incapable%20Stickers%20%28Designed%20 for%29

macogw
December 30th, 2007, 06:32 AM
look at this

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=65578&file1=65578-1.png&file2=&file3=&name=Vista%20Incapable%20Stickers%20%28Designed%20 for%29

Makes it sound too much like the computer isn't good enough to be able to run Vista (what with its high system requirements), so you settled for Linux.

CypherHackz
December 30th, 2007, 08:13 AM
that sticker is cool. i really like the design. although it is simple but i want it for my pc. hahaha.

-cypher.