PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh 11.04 install won't get past GRUB

Billabong81
April 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, I just did a fresh install of 11.04. First boot took a long time (5ish minutes) and told me I didn't have the hardware to run unity, so it booted me into classic. I figured it was a video card issue, as my nVidia GTX465 has needed to have drivers downloaded for it in the past in 10.10. I downloaded the nvidia drivers and went to restart my computer.

Now when I boot the computer, GRUB comes up with normal options (ubuntu, safe mode, mem test, Windows 7 loader). I select the ubuntu install and it just sits on a screen with the purple box with black border (grub text removed). After a few minutes, it proceeds to a blank black screen.

Any ideas?

cariboo
April 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Start in recovery mode, and select failsafeX from the menu. This should take you to the desktop, where you can make sure that nvidia-current is installed correctly.

Billabong81
April 29th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. Right when I booted using failsafeX, got warnings that my graphics and display were not recognized and such. Once I finally got booted, I opened the drivers menu and found the nVidia 173 drivers were present, but not active. Currently downloading version current. Will update with results!

Update: Seems to be working using the current drivers instead of 173. Cool beans! Thanks cariboo907!