PDA

View Full Version : active internet connection using java programming

voltage
May 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi,

do some body tell me how to use Java programming (at x window) to active the internet connection ?

yaaarrrgg
May 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Could you give an example?

sphinx
May 12th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure either, however I'm going to take a stab in the dark here as this sounds like problem I had a few years ago.

I once wrote a servlet that ran on a windows box so that you could click on a link in a browser and that computer would initiate a dial up connection to the internet. This way any computer on my home LAN could initiate a dial up connection. This problem was solved in XP later on with the whole connection sharing thing, but anyway, I learned a few things out of doing it. Like it is possible to do some useful things on the command line in windows....

I'm guessing voltage want to know how to write such a thing himself only a desktop based app instead of a servlet based one.

I'll leave the GUI bit as an exercise for the reader, but I'll provide an idea on the bit of Java to actually initiate the connection.

Basicly, the way I would go about it is to use the exec method on the Runtime class. So the first thing you have to do is find out how to do it on the command line. Its been too long since I've done such a thing so I'm going to make up an example that wont work
#> ifup ppp0 option1 option2 So lets pretend thats the commandline command that will innitate a dial up connectin or whatever sort of connection you need to initiate. An example method that could run this command is as follows:

public int openInternetConnection() throws IOException, InterruptedException {
String command = "ifup";
String args[] = {"ppp0", "option1", "option2"};
Process pro = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command,args);
return pro.waitFor();
}

This particular implememtation relies on the exit code to determin if its a success or failure, its a bit more work if you'd like the textual output of the command too for a more helpful error/success message. If I'm on the right track here about what you're after voltage, and you'd like more info about this let me know.

voltage
May 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I'm not sure either, however I'm going to take a stab in the dark here as this sounds like problem I had a few years ago.

I once wrote a servlet that ran on a windows box so that you could click on a link in a browser and that computer would initiate a dial up connection to the internet. This way any computer on my home LAN could initiate a dial up connection. This problem was solved in XP later on with the whole connection sharing thing, but anyway, I learned a few things out of doing it. Like it is possible to do some useful things on the command line in windows....

I'm guessing voltage want to know how to write such a thing himself only a desktop based app instead of a servlet based one.

I'll leave the GUI bit as an exercise for the reader, but I'll provide an idea on the bit of Java to actually initiate the connection.

Basicly, the way I would go about it is to use the exec method on the Runtime class. So the first thing you have to do is find out how to do it on the command line. Its been too long since I've done such a thing so I'm going to make up an example that wont work
#> ifup ppp0 option1 option2 So lets pretend thats the commandline command that will innitate a dial up connectin or whatever sort of connection you need to initiate. An example method that could run this command is as follows:

String command = "ifup";
return pro.waitFor();
}

This particular implememtation relies on the exit code to determin if its a success or failure, its a bit more work if you'd like the textual output of the command too for a more helpful error/success message. If I'm on the right track here about what you're after voltage, and you'd like more info about this let me know.

hi,

thanks for your kindly sugueesion, but what dial up engine i have dial ?? pppd, kppp or diald ? So then can i run the following command "Process pro = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command,args);" at x window ?

sphinx
May 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM
String command = "ifup";
return pro.waitFor();
}

I've just realised I've got the wrong method, because I'm working on a related problem myself. The command should be part of the string array.

String args[] = {"ifup", "ppp0", "option1", "option2"};
Process pro = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(args);
return pro.waitFor();
}

voltage
May 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I've just realised I've got the wrong method, because I'm working on a related problem myself. The command should be part of the string array.

String args[] = {"ifup", "ppp0", "option1", "option2"};
Process pro = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(args);
return pro.waitFor();
}

Thank for your info. but may I know which dial up you are using for above procedure ? kppp, pppd or ...other dial up. please advice ...

sphinx
May 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Thank for your info. but may I know which dial up you are using for above procedure ? kppp, pppd or ...other dial up. please advice ...

I havent had a dialup connection for some years now so I can't help you directly. However I did manage to find a wiki page that might be of use.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto