PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu hardware

jmore9
April 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Looks like ubuntu is going down the same path as windows has. More and better expensive hardware to run main interface.

As a fall back those who do not have the newest hardware have the lesser interface.

So folks will either have to go out buy some new hardware to run ubuntu , or switch to another distro.

TeoBigusGeekus
April 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
There's always xubuntu and lubuntu.
But if you're implying that Unity is a better interface than (*)box, lxde, xfce, etc., I think you are mistaken; judging an interface by its looks, its like buying a car because you like its colour.

jmore9
April 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I was just observing that the system requirements of ubuntu are climbing upwards and those pieces of hardware are more expensive.

If you want the delivered interface ( 3d unity ) you will have to upgrade your system if it is not within 3 or 4 years old. And if they follow the path of windows the requirements will get higher and higher.

Thats all i was saying

oldos2er
April 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I don't think of KDE as a "lesser" interface; it runs extremely well on my going-on-four-years-old hardware.

screaminj3sus
April 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Looks like ubuntu is going down the same path as windows has. More and better expensive hardware to run main interface.

As a fall back those who do not have the newest hardware have the lesser interface.

So folks will either have to go out buy some new hardware to run ubuntu , or switch to another distro.

This is how every single operating system is. If your machine is ancient look into the lighter distros, there are plenty of them and many ubuntu based. You can't always expect the same hardware to run the latest and greatest.

cariboo
April 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
All you need to run Unity is a supported graphics card that is capable of running 3D. I have a system with an nVidia 6600GT AGP adapter that runs Unity quite well with a 1.6Mhz Celeron and 512MiB of ram. The system is approximately 7 years old.

Johnsie
April 29th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Try Fedora instead... I had issues with Unity and found Fedora slightly more me friendly. Everyone has different tastes though.

K_45
April 29th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Try out Debian. Ubuntu's aim is to make an all round new user friendly distro suitable for as many people as possible, so its going to always be more porky than any alternatives.

3Miro
April 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Do you want the same old interface or a fancy new one? New interface takes more resources. If people have the hardware to handle new features, then why wouldn't Ubuntu include those. Making one system that works for everyone is impossible. Canonical is trying to make system that works for as many people as possible. As time progresses, the average PC out there gets more and more powerful, so it is only natural that Canonical include fancy and more resource demanding features.

The problem with Windows is not so much that they require a lot more to run (although it does require more than it should), the problem is that newer versions of Windows don't have drivers for older hardware. This doesn't happen in Linux (at least not with the FOSS drivers).

If you don't want the new and fancy, then you have XFCE and LXDE.

Dustin2128
April 29th, 2011, 01:22 AM
All you need to run Unity is a supported graphics card that is capable of running 3D. I have a system with an nVidia 6600GT AGP adapter that runs Unity quite well with a 1.6Mhz Celeron and 512MiB of ram. The system is approximately 7 years old.
:O that is impressive...

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Sir, I think you've ranted without actually learning something about what you're complaining about.

Firstly, Unity 2D is available for anyone who doesn't have 3D acceleration.

Secondly, every single computer made in the last twelve years (at least) has a 3D-capable graphics card.

Thirdly, Ubuntu with Unity uses the same system resources as Gnome 2.32 with Compiz. My netbook, which has the slowest GPU that Intel currently manufactures, and they underclock it too, can run Unity with no problems.

Random_Dude
April 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Honest question: Can't you run Ubuntu 11.04 with a lighter window manager, and thus reducing the system requirements?
Or is there something under the hood that prevents you from getting a better performance with this?