PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.04 - Install into largest unused space on the drive??

candtalan
April 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I cannot see this option in the Ubuntu 11.04 desktop installer, does anyone know if it is available in say, 11.04 Alternate please?

Dutch70
April 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I don't think that has been available since 10.04.

You'll probably have to choose it manually, which isn't very difficult, just be careful & post any questions here.

~Plue
April 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
does anyone know if it is available in say, 11.04 Alternate please?
its there in the alternate cd, but as dutch70 suggested, manually partitiontioning shouldn't be too hard..

Dutch70
April 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Good info ~Plue, ....which I've found that your posts usually are. :)

candtalan
April 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I don't think that has been available since 10.04.

You'll probably have to choose it manually, which isn't very difficult, just be careful & post any questions here.

Thanks for the response. As you suggest, I would not find it difficult, however my interest is with the many newcomers to Ubuntu that I help. Usually they are non technical, but willing to be ambitious to use Ubuntu. A fairly frequent question has been about installing into a space on the drive. These people may have heard of a partition and will be able to delete an unwanted partition. However, creating sizing, formatting, naming etc partitions and managing an Ubuntu Advanced install will be beyond them.

When 'Install into largest unused space on drive' was available I found it was an excellent and simple recipe for these adventurous newcomers. It was also typical that they might later delete the first Ubuntu partitions and re install to start afresh - a very 'Windows' sort of approach (!) but it got them started.

So I am keen to see if the facility is available again.

Hedgehog1
April 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Install from largest unused space really, honestly isn't available in Natty.

The Hedge

:KS

~Plue
April 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Good info ~Plue, ....which I've found that your posts usually are. :smile:
thanks...i only had the alternate iso because the cd rom is broken and the computer was too old to boot from an usb-stick :P (plus, retrieving the packages during install would take a long time on this slow connection)

candtalan
April 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have now completed a download of 11.04 Alternate (i386 in fact) and have run it for install in a hard drive already containing a desktop installation of 11.04, also having a large unallocated space on the hard drive.

At the stage of '[!!] Partition Discs'
the options list for 'Partition Method' does include

'Guided - use the largest continuous free space'
Which is good news. I will try it out asap.

candtalan
May 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Install from largest unused space really, honestly isn't available in Natty.
The Hedge
:KS

I can now say I have completed the install and it was successful.
That is, from an Ubuntu 11.04 Alternate CD, there WAS an option to install into the largest continuous free space on the drive, I used this option, and my install was successful.

Dutch70
May 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
Great, please mark the thread "solved" with "Thread Tools" at the top of the page. :)